Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Need Tech Advice

I have a bunch of old BBeB format books that I downloaded from Fictionwise. I would like to redownload them as epubs, however they only download as zipfiles.

I need instructions on how to get those zipfiles to turn into books so that I can load them onto my reader.

Thanks in advanced.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
thijsvk
thijsvk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-T1
Have u tried changing the extension? Epubs are zipped (html?) files
thijsvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 08:07 PM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Epubs are a lot more than zipped html files. They're a whole collection of files, some of which define what the other ones are.

However, it's possible to pack an epub inside a zip file. Could that be what's happening? When I buy a batch of books at once from Baen, they're zipped for my downloading convenience.

What's inside your files?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:40 AM   #4
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I agree to worldwalker. Just extract the zip-files and see what it is.
Even if epub is some kind of zipped format, why would one make the zip-extension if it werent a zip-archive?
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
I agree to worldwalker. Just extract the zip-files and see what it is.
Even if epub is some kind of zipped format, why would one make the zip-extension if it werent a zip-archive?
Venturing a guess, its probably to keep the files together as a single unit. It is much the same as with the OpenDocument (OD) format where each OD file is actually a zipped collection that contains several files/folders.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 01:12 AM   #6
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

I've never seen such files
So far, I just have seen zip and rar files as, hmm, well, zip and rar files for saving space on HDD, for e-mailing multiple pictures/files, etc.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:03 AM   #7
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
I've never seen such files
So far, I just have seen zip and rar files as, hmm, well, zip and rar files for saving space on HDD, for e-mailing multiple pictures/files, etc.
OpenDocument is an open format used as the native format for OpenOffice.org/StarOffice, an office suite like Microsoft Office. As an example, with an OpenDocument text file the zipped file contains several XML files and some folders, each containing a different part of the document (content, styles, settings, and so on). When saved the files are compressed and saved as a single zipped file with the extension ".odt."

Here's a link to a Wikipedia page for more information:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument" class="wikilink" title="MR Wiki entry">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:22 AM   #8
Mike_73
Guru

Thanks for the info.