Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 07:02 AM   #166
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokkie_99 View Post
1- When I send the books to my iTunes, the epub format is deleted in Calibre. How can I prevent this?
What specific steps are you taking to transfer books from calibre to iTunes?

Quote:
2- When I look at the book information in iTunes, the "Series" hasn't been sent over to the "Category" file. Is there a way to make this work? Also, when if I can eventually get it to work, how does the numbering (i.e. Alex Cross 1, Alex Cross 2, etc) get displayed?
Take a look at the first post in this thread, in the section labeled Options. 'Use Series as Category in iTunes/iBooks' should be checked. That option will group all books of a series together when you have selected the list view in iBooks, and you're sorting by Categories. The series name/number are not shown in iBooks unless you've added edited the title of the book to include them.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:01 PM   #167
hokkie_99
hokkie_99 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
What specific steps are you taking to transfer books from calibre to iTunes?

I am following the steps in the first post of the thread. I have tried individual books and they are still removing the ePub format. I initially tried a bulk transfer of about 15 files and it gave me the following error message.

"ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device"

(2, 'No such file or directory')

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 68, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 326, in _upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\apple\driver.py", line 942, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\apple\driver.py", line 1271, in _create_new_book
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\apple\driver.py", line 1840, in _get_device_book_size
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\zipfile.py", line 721, in __init__
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'J:\\calibre\\Stephen R. Covey\\The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People (675)\\The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People - Stephen R. Covey.epub'

Is there an iTunes setting that would be causing the deletion?

Take a look at the first post in this thread, in the section labeled Options. 'Use Series as Category in iTunes/iBooks' should be checked. That option will group all books of a series together when you have selected the list view in iBooks, and you're sorting by Categories. The series name/number are not shown in iBooks unless you've added edited the title of the book to include them.
I have the "Use Series as Category in iTunes/iBooks" box checked (per the instructions in the first post of the thread), but still to no avail.
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 07:27 PM   #168
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

hokkie_99, create a ticket as described in the first post, repeat the steps that cause the error, add the debug log to the ticket.

With respect to the series, you won't see them listed as part of the title in iTunes/iBooks unless you've edited the titles to include them. The sorting option causes them to be sorted by Series name and number, but the sort value is not visible in the iBooks interface.

G
Old 08-16-2010, 08:14 PM   #169
GRiker

hokkie_99, also check Send to device↓Set default send to device action to confirm that it's set to Send to main memory, and not Send and delete from library↓Main memory.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 08-17-2010 at 06:14 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:13 AM   #170
GRiker

Several bugs have posted recently because users are having problems connecting to iTunes after updating from iTunes 9.x to 10.x.

The first time that iTunes is launched after a major update, the database is typically updated as well. This can take quite a while, depending upon the number of items in your database. Calibre can't connect to iTunes until this one-time database update is complete.

If you've just updated iTunes, follow these steps:
  • exit calibre
  • launch iTunes
  • wait for the database update to complete

After the database update is complete, relaunch calibre. I've tested iTunes 10.x with the latest calibre release in both OSX and Windows, and everything works as expected after the update.

If you're having problems, review the first post in this thread before posting a bug report.

G
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 06:43 AM   #171
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I seem to have an annoying problem. It only occurs with pdf files though and not even all of them.

Every day I use Calibre (on OSX 10.6.4) to download a number of news feeds and sync them to the ipad Generally early morning. This works fine.

I also use calibre to transfer ebooks and pdf files to and from the ipad, again this works.

However, frequently (and by no means everyday) when I look at the ipad (and itunes) a lot of the pdf files (say 20 or so out if 25) have disappeared. They no longer appear in itunes or ipad. They are still there in Calibre and I've done nothing.

I do use Calibre with other devices, eg Sony and also have an iphone but don't download books to the iphone. The disappearing pdf syndrome doesn't necessarily occur after I sync with these devices anyway.

I'd say 80% of the time things get left alone, but then for no reason I can determine, the pdfs disappear.

Any ideas? I've tried a number of settings in itunes but it still occurs, as far as I can tell, randomly.

Howard
Old 09-19-2010, 07:36 AM   #172
GRiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
I seem to have an annoying problem. It only occurs with pdf files though and not even all of them.

Every day I use Calibre (on OSX 10.6.4) to download a number of news feeds and sync them to the ipad Generally early morning. This works fine.

I also use calibre to transfer ebooks and pdf files to and from the ipad, again this works.

However, frequently (and by no means everyday) when I look at the ipad (and itunes) a lot of the pdf files (say 20 or so out if 25) have disappeared. They no longer appear in itunes or ipad. They are still there in Calibre and I've done nothing.

I do use Calibre with other devices, eg Sony and also have an iphone but don't download books to the iphone. The disappearing pdf syndrome doesn't necessarily occur after I sync with these devices anyway.

I'd say 80% of the time things get left alone, but then for no reason I can determine, the pdfs disappear.

Any ideas? I've tried a number of settings in itunes but it still occurs, as far as I can tell, randomly.

Howard
Are you using the recommended 'Connect to iTunes' approach as described in the first post in this thread?

G
Old 09-19-2010, 02:59 PM   #173
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Well I've tried both methods, recommend and non. The difficulty I've got is that I can't replicate it "on demand" to determine what is causing it. At present I just check every morning I've still got my pdf's before I disconnect. If not I re-send them.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:19 PM   #174
pthwaite
Fanatic

GRiker,

Right I've found out how to repeat the problem.
I have my ipad set to sync the selected books I wish via Calibre and itunes as per your instructions. I have set my iphone not to sync books at all.

However, when I connect my iphone, itunes immediately deletes all books (notably the pdfs) I had transfered (via Calibre) before I last synced my phone. An it is repeatable.

Can I set Calibre not to detect the iphone but detect the ipad? If there is a method I seem to have missed it in your notes.

regards
Old 09-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #175
GRiker

@pthwaite:
Are both the iPhone and iPad connected at the same time?
Old 09-20-2010, 01:08 PM   #176
pthwaite
Fanatic

GRiker,
No, I've only got the one lead on the MAC.

It is annoying because I always transfer books (well the RSS feed newspapers anyway) daily to the ipad, but don't often need to sync the iphone (3GS).

regards, Howard
Old 09-20-2010, 01:31 PM   #177
GRiker

Is your iPhone set to 'manually manage music and videos'?
Old 09-20-2010, 05:40 PM   #178
pthwaite
Fanatic

Yes, the iphone as set to manually manage music. The ipad had nothing "checked".

I'm away on business until the end of the week now but maybe I'll try setting both devices the same when I get back and see what happens if I sync the phone and then the ipad.

regards, Howard
Old 09-23-2010, 03:46 AM   #179
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
I am seeing some strange behaviour with the iTunes/Calibre interface and I am not sure if this is due to their interaction or solely iTunes. I want all of my books on my iPad, so have checked the appropriate button in iTunes to sync all. But I only want a handful of books on my iPhone so I selected Sync Selected in iTunes and selected just 20 books.

I am not 100% sure of the sequence of events, but at some point on subsequent sync iTunes lost touch with the books that I had not marked to sync tio iPhone. They were missing from the iTunes library, but still present on the disk.

Is it possible that when Calibre checked what was on the device and what was in iTunes that the missing books from the device were removed from iTunes? Or is this just an iTunes oddity. Anybody seen anything like this?
Old 09-23-2010, 04:29 AM   #180
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherTD View Post
Is it possible that when Calibre checked what was on the device and what was in iTunes that the missing books from the device were removed from iTunes? Or is this just an iTunes oddity. Anybody seen anything like this?
I may be wrong but if I were going to use two devices I would minimize my variables by going to Preferences - Plugins - Device interface Plugin and disable the plugin for Apple devices and just use the Connect to iTunes feature from now on to send books from calibre to iTunes.

This should give you a clean iTunes interface to both devices without calibre accidentally stepping on the process.
Closed Thread