Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-10-2017, 09:07 PM   #1
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Invitation to an OS Bunfght :)

I was going to post this in the Sigil forum, but decided I should put in here. KH and DD wouldn't welcome a bunfight over operating systems in the Kindle Import plugin thread.

I mainly habituate the Calibre forums - the number of problems that relate specifically to OSX and Linux has always been disproportionate to number of users who actually use those systems - and it seems to be getting worse. I don't know what proportion of Sigil users use OSX and Linux, but I suspect the same situation prevails.

Sigil and Calibre are not applications developed by a couple of naive Windows coders who wouldn't know an Apple Mac from a Packham pear, or a Linux from Linus Pauling. Kevin H uses Apple Mac for Sigil development, and Kovid uses Linux for Calibre development, you'd be hard pressed to find two more proficient and professional developers than KH and KG.

Anyway where's what I didn't post in the KindleImport plugin thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Mac Users - I have yet again updated the Sigil-0.9.8 Mac Package on the github release site with a version of Sigil for Mac that should now happily work with PyQt5 plugins with no extra changes.

Please give it a try and let me know if it fixes the issue.

Thanks
KevinH
I initially read that as no extra charges

Had a call from a community of precepted (ordained) women on the weekend, asking if I knew of how they might swap out a dozen or so Macs for Windows laptops at a reasonable cost. A couple of them have Windows laptops and I think they've all used Windows in the past. They are fed up with spending more time fighting OSX than doing their work, which is running women's shelters in remote locations here, and overseas. I've emailed a contact I have at the Gates Foundation.

Apple's obsession with locking down individual's computers seems to be as, or perhaps even more, draconian than I used in a global financial institution a few years ago. The difference being that the GFI paid for and supported the laptops, desktops, and workstations their employees were forced to use. At the end of a lease employees could pay out the residual, have the computer 'cleaned' and take them home. I have a functioning Sparc workstation I got that way.

MS, I fear, is headed down the same track. And Linux, for the reasons Kovid Goyal has articulated elsewhere, isn't an attractive alternative for the average Mom and Pop user, or a group of Buddhist 'nuns'.

Man in a bar asks friend, "How many different versions of Linux are there?"

Somewhat dismissively, friend answers , "Come on, how many people use Linux?"

Man answers, "Oh, millions I should think?"

Friend replies, "Divide by two and that's how many versions of Linux there are. Seems to me every second user of Linux uses a different version."

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-11-2017 at 03:16 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2017, 01:01 AM   #2
arjaybe
Fanatic
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Note to self: trolling permitted in lounge.-)
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:05 AM   #3
jswinden
Astrophotographer
jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6+, Voyage, Fire TV, Echo and Dot

...and now back to sanity.
jswinden is offline   Reply With Quote