Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-04-2016, 08:16 PM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kin7; FHD6; SGT4; ClipZip; LG Trib; Echo Dot
Google Home

Google Home --> updated 04 Oct 2016

Quote:
Google Home is a voice-activated speaker powered by the Google Assistant. Ask it questions. Tell it to do things. It’s your own Google, always ready to help. Just start with, "Ok Google".
Important Links --> Google Home | Home Help | Home Video | Wikipedia | Archives | offers

Google Home Features

Spoiler:
  • Media --> Games -- Music -- Podcasts -- Radio
  • News --> News -- Sports -- Traffic -- Weather
  • Office --> Calendar -- Dictionary -- Translation
  • Tools --> Alarm -- Calculator -- Timer
  • other --> Shopping List

Google Home Services

Spoiler:
  • Music
  • YouTube Music
  • Spotify
  • Pandora
  • Google Play Music
  • TuneIn Radio

• Smart Home
  • Google Chromecast
  • Nest
  • Philips Hue
  • SmartThings
  • IFTTT

• Video (Chromecast required)
  • YouTube

• Tasks
  • Google Calendar
  • Google Keep

Google Home Specs --> iFixit Teardown

Spoiler:
  • Released --> xx Nov 2016
  • Generation --> 1st Gen
  • Pricing --> $129
  • CPU -->
  • Speed -->
  • RAM -->
  • ROM -->
  • WiFi --> 802.11 ac -- dual band 2.4GHz/ 5GHz
  • Bluetooth -->
  • Microphones -->
  • Speakers --> 1 x 2.0" driver -- 2 x 2.0" passive radiators
  • Ports --> power in
  • Dimensions --> 5.62" x 3.79" x 3.79" x 16.8 oz
  • Power --> 16.5V -- 2A
  • Warranty -->
  • In-the-Box -->
  • Notes -->

Last edited by tubemonkey; 10-05-2016 at 02:44 AM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:46 AM   #2
Rumpelteazer
Wizard
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've had my eye first on the Amazon Echo and later on Google Home. The Echo isn't available in the Netherlands and I had hoped that Home would be. Especially when I got an email from Google last night inviting me to pre-order the Google Home. But I couldn't. From what I've read it won't be available until it supports Dutch language. Understandable, but nonetheless annoying for us Dutchies that speak English well enough (or think we do) and want to get our hands on it.

At least the Dutch Google Store has a page for the Google Home, which is slightly encouraging.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:39 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Top 5 Reasons to Buy a Google Home (and 3 not to) Video

Quote:
Google wants to live in your home with its aptly named product and it could be a smart bet.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:42 PM   #4
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Microsoft Surface Pro 3
I'm heavily invested in Alexa with 2 Echos, 1 Dot and three other Alexa enabled devices, but I have to admit, I just might be a bit premature. Google now has always been the go to place for answers; often when Alexa doesn't know the answer, Google Now gets it spot on.

Oh well, I guess I just keep using Alexa for music, home automation, shopping lists and timers/alarms; and my phone for answers.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:02 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I'm heavily invested in Alexa with 2 Echos, 1 Dot and three other Alexa enabled devices, but I have to admit, I just might be a bit premature. Google now has always been the go to place for answers; often when Alexa doesn't know the answer, Google Now gets it spot on.

Oh well, I guess I just keep using Alexa for music, home automation, shopping lists and timers/alarms; and my phone for answers.
I rarely ask Alexa or OK Google (they really need to come up with a better name than that) questions, so that's a feature that means very little to me.

If the Echo did nothing more than stream music and audio, I'd still consider it money well spent and I'd still get several Dots.

Edit: The Echo plays Amazon Music and Audible, and the Home will never have those services. That's a deal breaker for me, especially since Amazon is about to release a paid streaming music service exclusively for Echo device owners.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 10-11-2016 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:52 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

8 things Alexa can do that Google's Assistant can't

Quote:
Google Home may have crashed the smart-speaker party, but it still has some tricks to learn from Alexa.

It was only a matter of time before Amazon Echo got some competition. Google Home was announced last week and while we haven't yet tested it, it looks like it'll be a worthy competitor to Amazon Echo.

But even though Google Home can do a lot that the Echo can't -- like contextual conversations or throwing images and videos to your televisions -- it has plenty of catching-up to do with Alexa.

Here are eight things Amazon's assistant can do that Google's can't.