Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-17-2010, 03:35 AM   #91
Marcor
Enthusiast
Marcor doesn't litterMarcor doesn't litter

Device: none
As for thelll glare, it seems to me the Asus is doing slightly better than the PRS650, also because of this light grey/dark grey related issue. Of corse some glare you'll always have just because you are dealing with a screen, but much less than the magazines printed on glossy paper.
Marcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:03 PM   #92
CalvinL
Enthusiast
CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
is it available in Italy only? can i buy it online in the U.S?
CalvinL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2010, 08:52 PM   #93
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqyNq...er_profilepage
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:42 AM   #94
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Thanks!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:59 PM   #95
Marcor
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinL View Post
is it available in Italy only? can i buy it online in the U.S?
It is available also online, but I doubt that they ship it abroad. Best solution is having an italian friend buying it for you and sending it via Courrier. Mediaworld has shops in almost every italian province.

http://compraonline.mediaworld.it/we...ge=1&iscache=1

Here the online discussion on the italian forum with impressions, issues, problems, etc: Simplicissimus (if I am right, Simplicissimus is actually importer of the DR900 in Italy and supplier of Mediaworld)

http://forum.simplicissimus.it/gli-e...-570-e-dr-950/

One comment on the video review. Sometimes in the review it seems that the reader does not react to the finger pressure. It is simply a matter of getting used to the reader. I myself am using a capacitative stylus because it allows you to be more precise,however the fingertouch works fine as well.
The lightgrey background is not that nice to see, however when reading, even with artificial light it doesn't really affect the reading quality.
I also do not compeltely agree on the low definition of the characters he mentions, they are well defined allthough rather in ark grey than in black. Again, in my opinion this is not a problem for the reading.
Of course, quality of Kindle or Sony's PRS are another planet.

Last edited by Marcor; 12-19-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #96
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
I am considering this for buying:

Macor, can you please test the following to see if they work?

Test Function:

Web Browser download links (can files be saved?)
Web Browser Horizontal Orientation
web browser support other languages, try http://hk.yahoo.com/
Web Browser Page DN and Page UP (is there a page up page down button or do I have to scroll?)
Web Browser Text Resize

Do documents with URL link to web browser?

Test Sites:
iGoogle and Google Chat
http://p4wn.sourceforge.net/sven/

I would really appreciate it if you could test this out for me.

Last edited by jessie102; 12-19-2010 at 06:58 PM.
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:44 AM   #97
Marcor
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie102 View Post
I am considering this for buying:

Macor, can you please test the following to see if they work?

Test Function:

I do not have the DR900 with me today, but be aware that the use of internet is limited. For example I could not access my yahoo mail because the browser does not support cookies. What I did was to access a Wikipedia page and it worked perfectly with images. To scroll down you can scroll or use the buttons. Also to move left or right you can scroll or use a button.
You can use horizontal orientation.
I am not sure about the download. Of course it is possible to purchase online ebooks so some download must be possible but a real download I do not know. I couldn't access the webpage of Corriere.it the italian newspaper probably because there is too many images or maybe because it doesn't support. I will try your sites and do some test this evening, but there are quite some limitations and it is rather slow.

Last edited by Marcor; 12-20-2010 at 04:52 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:10 AM   #98
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
My personal opinion in a few words: avoid SiPix display devices like the plague.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:26 AM   #99
AdamV
*Censored*
AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (brown), Asus DR 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geppetto View Post
My personal opinion in a few words: avoid SiPix display devices like the plague.
could you please be more specific on the reasons? I geuss you have some experience with your Cybook Orizon you can share with us?
AdamV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:10 AM   #100
Whipet
Enthusiast
Whipet has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Bebook 1, Onyx Boox M90
The Cybook Orizon web site has the SiPix ePaper display with a specification of 800 by 600 but with a DPI of 167 (6 inch)
The DPI of most 6 inch readers is 160 and 5 inch readers is 200, so the SiPix seems similar.
However I cannot find any DPI for the ASUS.
Whipet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:04 AM   #101
Marcor
Enthusiast

There is no discussion: e-ink (and especially pearl) is lightyears ahead of Sipix. Aside of the quality perse (i.e. definition), there is this light grey/dark grey issue that might result boring for those used to a pearl e-ink, probably better waiting for more mature SiPix. Nonetheless my initial choice was between Kindle, Sony PRS and Asus and going back I still would choose the DR900 SiPix, with all is weaknesses.

Last edited by Marcor; 12-20-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:02 PM   #102
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Appreciate the quick response Macor. Wow, no cookie support? so you can't log in to any email service?
I tried logging into Yahoo Mail with my PRS 950, and it works as long as you log in thru their "Classic" webpage. Have you tried the Classic?

I can log into both Google Mail and Yahoo Mail
Old 12-20-2010, 04:15 PM   #103
Marcor
Enthusiast

I tried the things that you suggested but I was not really able to succed in any of them. I could visualize al pages but then I had troubles either entering either movign the pawns for example (errore message for missing page). No horizontal view.

It supports foreign languages but I couldn't manage to get into the mail even the classic. Maybe it is me doing something wrong, I will see if someone in Simplicissimus succeeds. You might even open your own discussion (in the dedicated Asus DR900 section) because most people I am sure might be able to answer in english: however I will bring your issues there and see if someone is able to succeed.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:36 PM   #104
jessie102
Addict

ok so no horizontal orientation in web browser, thats ok, since its a big enough screen.
Were you able to download from any download links? (ie: direct pdf links, zip links)

so just to clarify the web browsers language support, you saw the hk.yahoo.com page in Chinese not a bunch of code, correct?

and thx for the suggestion of the Simplicissimus webpage, and thx for bringing this issue to them!! I will check them out.

Last edited by jessie102; 12-20-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:44 PM   #105
CalvinL
Enthusiast
CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Since Asus is a company fromTaiwan, I don't think they don't support Chinese...
CalvinL is offline   Reply With Quote