Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-12-2017, 07:49 AM   #1
Waylander
Evangelist
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Books similar to Paul Kearney's Monarchies of God

I'm looking for historical fantasy books in a similar vein to Paul Kearney's Monarchies of God books, which I very much enjoyed. Even if there aren't any that are in exactly the same vein, any historical fantasy would be good.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:44 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kinndle: Oasis 3G, Voyage WiFi;FireHD; Kobo: Aura One, Glo HD
I'm not familiar with that author but you may wish to check out L. Sprague De Camp's writings for historical-flavored fantasy.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 01-13-2017, 11:38 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
When you find some, let me know. I loved those books.

Try Greg Keyes' "Age of Unreason" series.

Kearney's own "Macht" series is very good also, but there's very little in the way of traditional "fantasy" trappings involved (no real magic). Plenty of historical "allegory", though. The same could be said of Guy Gavriel Kay's work.

I'd also recommend Kearney's "Sea Beggars" series (lots of nautical portions similar to "Monarchies"), but it remains frustratingly unfinished.

Sean Russell's "Swan's War" series reminded me of "Monarchies" as well (or vice versa). Same goes for David Walton's "Quintessence" series--though it currently stands uncompleted at two installments (and remains relatively unknown).
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:17 PM   #4
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I wouldn't have called the Monarchies books "historical" but I think I understand what you mean. This is fantasy (magic and imaginary lands) with a sweeping political aspect. I did enjoy the first book (and his Macht series).

Check out Joe Abercrombie's First Law series and stand-alone books for something of similar scope, maybe a bit darker.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote