Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-13-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
bsmart
bsmart began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
PDF->EPUB only displays 'Front section'

I have large PDF files of Books from a U.S. Gov't site (U.S. Army Center for Military History). When I convert them to EPUB for my Nook the conversion takes a LONG time and creates huge files PDF is ~22 MB, EPUB is ~69 MB. so I believe it is being converted properly. The problem is that when I try to view the EPUB file either on the Nook or in the Calibre viewer I only see the first section (Cover, title page, table of contents) and it says I have 12 pages (The book is 700+ pages). I am including a link to the site I download the PDF files from in case someone wants to actually try something out.

http://www.history.army.mil/html/boo...8-1/index.html
bsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:19 AM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
I won't bother to comment about the pdf conversion - read the sticky about the myriad ways a pdf conversion can go awry. However, that book you link is also available as multiple html files - there isn't a single master file/archive, so you'll need to individually download all the chapters, but by going through that extra effort you'll get a very usable html source for ebook conversion.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2011, 05:44 AM   #3
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Look into HTTrack, a program that will allow downloading of the whole book in html. The download can be easily used to create an epub. Don't change the connections settings or it is possible that the web site may see it as an attack. Also look at links on the pages to make sure that you exclude links that may cause it to download this entire large site, devouring your hard drive space in the process.

I have already done this for this particular file and it creates an epub which is about 7 meg in size. It is a project which I started working on and have yet to finish. I have uploaded it so you can play with it. It is broken up into pages, many of them. You can use it as is or remove the page breaks to make it flow more easily.

Also it has footnotes which will need links to make it easier to use in readers like the Sony that don't jump around as easier as I understand some others do.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Battle of the Bulge - Cole, Hugh M._21.epub (6.80 MB, 234 views)
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote