Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-22-2011, 01:43 AM   #1
bettyallen
bettyallen began at the beginning.

Device: none
iPad 2 or iPad 3

When the iPad 3 is already out in the market would you prefer to sell your iPad 2 and buy a new iPad 3? Knowing that iPad 3 has better features and specs than iPad 2.
bettyallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:42 AM   #2
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Isn't this a bit premature, given that the ipad3 specs aren't even in the rumor pipeline yet (apart from a retina screen)?
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2011, 03:53 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Personally I shall do what I did when the iPad 2 appeared: look at the spec and see if it's worth upgrading for me. In the case of the iPad 2 my decision was that it really didn't give me anything that I particularly wanted over my iPad 1, so I'm still happily using that. Likewise, I almost certainly shan't buy an iPhone 5 when that appears - my iPhone 4 does everything I want.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:31 AM   #4
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I like to get some use out of my devices before I change them. It's the nature of the market that the minute you buy a device, it is already outdated. I'm very happy with my iPad 2 and the changes I'd like to see concern software rather than hardware.

As long as the battery holds and new versions of the OS can still run with reasonable speed on my device, I'm not planning to change it.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #5
kalex
Zealot
kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony
Once Ipad3 comes out I will sell one of my unicorns, and then use USD scrolls to finance ipad3 because my ipad2 will turn into a pumpkin at 12:01 AM on the day iSteve announces his magic
kalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
I have an iPad 1 and decided to wait until the iPad gets a better screen before I do any upgrades. I can't read a book on it to save my life, no matter how pretty everything else is, the text just isn't sharp enough for me.

Although now I'm anxiously awaiting Amazon's Tablet, since all my books are already there, they have a good chance of nabbing me with their offering.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:07 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post
I have an iPad 1 and decided to wait until the iPad gets a better screen before I do any upgrades. I can't read a book on it to save my life, no matter how pretty everything else is, the text just isn't sharp enough for me.

Although now I'm anxiously awaiting Amazon's Tablet, since all my books are already there, they have a good chance of nabbing me with their offering.
Don't go for an Amazon tablet just because all your eBooks are from Amazon. Go for the tablet that has the features you want and does what you want. The Kindle app will work on other tablets.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:51 PM   #8
Joseph R
Zealot
Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post

JSWolf is right. However, you can consider now if you will use Amazon for your music store and Video on demand. I would not be surprised if Amazon will do the same for its Tablet like it did for Kindle Special Offers. They seem to have quite a successful model, from what I can read on the forum: Amazon is happy, as it drives the sales up and the customer is happy as they benefit from great rebates (it paid for itself!), I have read.
Joseph R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:09 AM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Don't go for an Amazon tablet just because all your eBooks are from Amazon. Go for the tablet that has the features you want and does what you want. The Kindle app will work on other tablets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph R View Post
JSWolf is right.
You two missed her main reason for possibly switching:

Quote:
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:41 AM   #10
JimKal
Zealot
JimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad, iMac,iPhone, Kindle Touch
I do agree the question is a little premature as the iPad2 is a relatively new device. I didn't opt for it as the iPad1 still meets my needs and I don't have a burning desire to have the latest and greatest in my home and out of my wallet.

JSWolf makes a great point - get what works for you. I wanted an e-reader and when I wa shopping the iPad seemed like the best device for me. If I had waited for the Pearl screen and the price drop I might have opted for a Kindle. If I had waited longer, I might have opted for the Nook STR.

I have always loved books and thought an e-reader would be great for convenience, but was surprised to find out that I like it as much as, if not more than, a hardback and more than the standard paperback. When I finally got an iPhone4, I was surprised to find out how easy it was to read on it. I still prefer the iPad when at home but the always with me iPhone makes a great secondary reader for me. The retina screen is very sharp and , if offered on an iPad3, would tempt me to buy one.

I continue to find it fascinating that people who don't like Apple or the iPad show up on the Apple Forum to tell us why it is not a good device. Obviously, it works well for many of us. Perhaps they believe they are offering a public service in warning others of its deficiencies as a company or e-reader. I think most people who come to Mobileread would probably take a look at the device before buying to make sure it was a device that would work for them. But, at least, it makes for interesting discussion.
JimKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:28 AM   #11
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKal View Post
JSWolf makes a great point - get what works for you. I wanted an e-reader and when I wa shopping the iPad seemed like the best device for me. If I had waited for the Pearl screen and the price drop I might have opted for a Kindle. If I had waited longer, I might have opted for the Nook STR.
As someone who reads on their iPad, how is it for reading books. I am so tempted to get one.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #12
JimKal
Zealot
JimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad, iMac,iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
As someone who reads on their iPad, how is it for reading books. I am so tempted to get one.

Carol
Carol, as I said, I read on it all the time. I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night and can't sleep. I switch to the back background with white print and can read in the dark without disturbing my wife. It is another feature that I thought I would never use but now use often at night. This is a feature in the Kindle app for iPad but seems to be available in most of the reading apps.

That being said, there are those who claim they have difficulty reading on an iPad. I'd suggest you borrow one from a friend or visit an Apple store to see if you like the experience. I can share a story about my brother who claimed he much preferred his Kindle to the iPad, but strangely loved my Kindle app on my iPhone - go figure! As an e-reader it works for me and for many others. But someday I will probable buy an e-ink device for the great battery life they offer. I waiting for the time when we get past the format wars.

Also, as I understand it, the iPad2 is quite a bit lighter than the iPad1. While the weight doesn't seem to be an issue for me, it is an issue raised by some.
JimKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:10 PM   #13
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyallen View Post
When the iPad 3 is already out in the market would you prefer to sell your iPad 2 and buy a new iPad 3?
Only if it has retina display. I was pretty disappointed the iPad 2 didn't have it. Anyhow, Apple devices have pretty high resale value so I should be able to sell my iPad 2 for at least $200~300. As long as Apple sticks to current iPad pricing, upgrading to a new device shouldn't be too difficult on the pocket.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:20 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Only if it has retina display. I was pretty disappointed the iPad 2 didn't have it. Anyhow, Apple devices have pretty high resale value so I should be able to sell my iPad 2 for at least $200~300. As long as Apple sticks to current iPad pricing, upgrading to a new device shouldn't be too difficult on the pocket.
If by retina display you mean 326 ppi then it is unlikely and unnecessary. Your iphone is held up close to you face while an iPad is held at arm length. There is absolutely no need for an 4 Megapixel display on a 9.7" device. The amount of CPU power needed to fill the screen with data rapidly would be prohibitive. However, having said that I would expect the iPad 3 to have higher resolution than the current product but there is lots of room between 130 ppi and 330 ppi.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:58 PM   #15
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKal View Post
Carol, as I said, I read on it all the time. I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night and can't sleep. I switch to the back background with white print and can read in the dark without disturbing my wife. It is another feature that I thought I would never use but now use often at night. This is a feature in the Kindle app for iPad but seems to be available in most of the reading apps.

That being said, there are those who claim they have difficulty reading on an iPad. I'd suggest you borrow one from a friend or visit an Apple store to see if you like the experience. I can share a story about my brother who claimed he much preferred his Kindle to the iPad, but strangely loved my Kindle app on my iPhone - go figure! As an e-reader it works for me and for many others. But someday I will probable buy an e-ink device for the great battery life they offer. I waiting for the time when we get past the format wars.

Also, as I understand it, the iPad2 is quite a bit lighter than the iPad1. While the weight doesn't seem to be an issue for me, it is an issue raised by some.
Thanks Jim. I do have a Kindle that I really like. If I do get an iPad it would be an added device, surfing, email, etc. and reading.

One day I say yes I want one the next day I say I'll wait and see about iPad 3.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote