Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-10-2010, 02:40 PM   #391
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I've never eaten shallots, but they sound delicious.
they are a good, but a PITA to peel... I always heave a great sigh of urg when I see them in a recipe.

Quote:
Here's the state of my garden for May 10, 2010:

I finished the anti-rabbit fence around the garden, tripped over it and had to repair it already. One of the jalapeño plants died and I replaced it this morning. Had one more spot to fill, so I added an eggplant. We are now growing potatoes, strawberries, tomatoes, bell peppers, lima beans, banana peppers, jalapeños, cucumbers, squash, one eggplant, and corn.

Norton's taking a break in the shade. He likes playing better than farming.
ha! your garden is so orderly! mine is well.... it's pretty darn busy!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #392
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Some people call them scallions. They are delicious. You use them as onions.
My sister's mother in law, God bless her, the great cook she is, puts them in jars, peeled, packed under oil. Then for Xmas she makes gifts of these deliciousnesses. Yum, Yum.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #393
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Some people call them scallions. They are delicious. You use them as onions.
My sister's mother in law, God bless her, the great cook she is, puts them in jars, peeled, packed under oil. Then for Xmas she makes gifts of these deliciousnesses. Yum, Yum.
scallions and shallots are two different things. scallions are the long green slender onion, sometimes referred to as spring onions. shallots are small lumpily roundish onion type creatures with a papery cover
Old 05-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #394
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I understand that shallots are sweeter and less pungent than onions. Is this true?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:49 PM   #395
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
I understand that shallots are sweeter and less pungent than onions. Is this true?
it depends on what kind of onion you are working with. with the Vidalias, walla wallas and so on, I just pretty much ignore the shallots anymore cause I don't like peeling the little critters
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 03:53 PM   #396
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
I think that is true. Many scallion and green onions are also sweeter than regular onions. I only grow the sweet kind (short day onions). To bulb properly there has to be a certain amount of daylight hours for different onions. So up north, they plant long day onions. Here, we plant short day and most short day are sweet and very mild.

Shallots are very expensive and extremely mild. My mild 1050ys (which should be HUGE onions) will make a good substitute for shallots. There aren't enough of them to bottle...I had 60 plants, but they looked pretty bad, so I barely planted...maybe half. Probably less than half. I'm glad I didn't plant/water and care for all 60 because I'd have been mighty disappointed at the waste of time and water!!!

I just gone done adding in the turkey compost. I am pretty sure I over mulched and tilled that in last winter--but it wasn't broken down enough so some spots are lacking in nutrients (dirt). Plus Turkey Compost means I won't have to bother fertilizing for at least a month.

Do you think the tomatoes will be happy enough with their turkey compost snack to turn red????
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #397
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
sweeter yes, also somehow garlicky. Less homy. Once they are spent in butter or oil it is difficult to feel the difference. A pro might.

With risotto I use onions, with fancy stuff i might take the pain to use shallots. But raw, under oil, as an appetizer they are heavenly. Come to dinner next Xmas, you'll see.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:00 PM   #398
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Do you think the tomatoes will be happy enough with their turkey compost snack to turn red????
Time will tell!
Old 05-10-2010, 04:01 PM   #399
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
sweeter yes, also somehow garlicky. Less homy. Once they are spent in butter or oil it is difficult to feel the difference. A pro might.

With risotto I use onions, with fancy stuff i might take the pain to use shallots. But raw, under oil, as an appetizer they are heavenly. Come to dinner next Xmas, you'll see.
What's wrong with tonight?
Old 05-10-2010, 04:02 PM   #400
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
(doggie faints dead away)

Really, Tom, you gotta get out more. Put down the mouse right now and go to the store and buy some and find a nice recipe. You should also try leeks, if you haven't already, which are also related to onions and have a wonderful delicate flavor of their own. Love 'em, love 'em, love 'em!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:05 PM   #401
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post

Really, Tom, you gotta get out more. Put down the mouse right now and go to the store and buy some and find a nice recipe. You should also try leeks, if you haven't already, which are also related to onions and have a wonderful delicate flavor of their own. Love 'em, love 'em, love 'em!
Steamed leeks with a lot of butter and a small amount of black pepper......yummmmm.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #402
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Steamed leeks with a lot of butter and a small amount of black pepper......yummmmm.
Even better: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cock-a-leekie_soup
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #403
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
What's wrong with tonight?
But it's Hockey Night in Canada! Canadians- Mighty Penguins.

Leeks, I posted a gorgeous recipe for you in the recipe tread.

Ages ago, in a extremely classy joint, I had stuffed raisins. Unsurpassed splendor of culinary extravaganza.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:13 PM   #404
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:

Really, Tom, you gotta get out more.
No doubt about that!

Quote:
Put down the mouse right now and go to the store and buy some and find a nice recipe. You should also try leeks, if you haven't already, which are also related to onions and have a wonderful delicate flavor of their own. Love 'em, love 'em, love 'em!
Half of the food items I see here at MobileRead I have to look up. Like "leeks". I've never seen them at Mickey D's or Taco Bell!
Old 05-10-2010, 04:13 PM   #405
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Here's the state of my garden for May 10, 2010:

I finished the anti-rabbit fence around the garden, tripped over it and had to repair it already. One of the jalapeño plants died and I replaced it this morning. Had one more spot to fill, so I added an eggplant. We are now growing potatoes, strawberries, tomatoes, bell peppers, lima beans, banana peppers, jalapeños, cucumbers, squash, one eggplant, and corn.

Norton's taking a break in the shade. He likes playing better than farming.
Did you decide on eggplant due to the recent reading of "The Egg and I?"

Norton looks happy with the garden.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote