Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-18-2016, 01:43 PM   #1
johndoe57
johndoe57 began at the beginning.

Device: none
How good is Koreader working with PocketBook Touch HD ?

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of buying a PocketBook Touch HD because of what I've read so far.
The device itself seems to be quite hackable/extendable and the original software doesn't seem that bad.

What's important to me is proper PDF support, so I want to get Koreader running.
Does anyone use Koreader with this device, how stable is it, and is it easy to integrate ?
I read something about an "Open with menu" so can I just open documents from the standard ui with Koreader instead of the native reading app then ?

Is there anything else what I should know about this device, that's negative in terms of privacy, silent auto firmware updates in the background that I can't block etc...

Thank you!
johndoe57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2017, 03:02 AM   #2
nhedgehog
Addict
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
Since there is not answer from the PB Touch HD users, some comments here:
1) I don't own a PB Touch HD but have a PB Lux 3.
2) I'm not aware that the "Open with menu" working with newer firmwares but selector is helping there (with some pdf adobe viewer doesn't start, don't know why yet).
3) I did try Koreader quite exensively but found no reason to keep using it. The integrated pdf-reader of the device seemed to me superior. For epubs I use Coolreader.
4) Privacy: all those things can be switched off but are enabled at the beginning. No need to register the device.

Last edited by nhedgehog; 02-25-2017 at 06:13 AM. Reason: typo
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:21 AM   #3
johndoe57
johndoe57 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thx for your answer. I already bought the device and was already trying to get koreader running on it with a few edits. Got it working, but with a few segfaults though...

One thing I miss with the official pdf reader is the continous reading mode.
The problem is when you have an A4 pdf page zoomed in landscape, and you press down you have a very high chance that the next line you want to read is not on the top of the screen.

On koreader there is something called, i think "scroll mode", pdf pages are placed continuously under another, so if there is no lower third on the actual pdf page it just shows the first third of the next one under it. So when pressing page down I can always expect the next line to read is on the top of the screen. If no scroll mode is enabled, like the official reader it just goes down a bit if there are only three lines or so available on the actual page. That disturbs my reading flow quite a bit...
johndoe57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:41 AM   #4
iBurger2
iBurger2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2nd g
@ Johndoe57

I am considering buy the Inkpad 2, specifically for reading academic papers. (2 column layout). Given your experience, would you still recommend me getting the Pocketbook?

Is Koreader good enough?
iBurger2 is offline   Reply With Quote