Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-09-2010, 07:32 AM   #16
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drezin View Post
This is going to sound incredibly mean, but I hope the iPad fails miserably. It seems like Jobs has gotten to the point where he thinks he can put anything out and it will just sell. And I'm not a disgruntled PC owner . . . I have an iPhone, an iPod, and I just got a MacBook Pro. He just needs to be taken down a peg.
Apple has had their share of duds over the years.

I hope it's a success because it'll set a new level for future devices in this segment just like the iPhone did for cell phones over the last 3 years.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:41 PM   #17
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drezin View Post
This is going to sound incredibly mean, but I hope the iPad fails miserably. It seems like Jobs has gotten to the point where he thinks he can put anything out and it will just sell.
I have no use for the iPad, but I don't think that's the case at all.

Apple makes a significant portion of their revenues from the iPhone -- around $5.6 billion in 2009 (and they only started selling 'em in early 2007), and the iPod pulled in another $3.4 billion. Even if the iPad is a total flop, the iPhone/iPod makes so much money, expanding that product line is a no-brainer.

If Apple puts out an iBackScratcher, then I'll agree with you.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2010, 02:56 PM   #18
Mitchll
Cave Dweller
Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ipad Sony reader prs-505 prs-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
I agree. They are taking their "walled garden" approach to the extreme. It's so obvious that Apple's crusade against Adobe Flash is just about money and protecting the apps and movies that are sold through the App Store and iTunes.
They are in business to make money. The public votes with their pocketbook; it clearly likes products that work.
Mitchll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:41 PM   #19
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
It has been delayed for the rest of the world.

My Australian friends tell me it will be available 'late April' for them, and they STILL have no pricing available. Australians usually get slapped with the 'Apple Tax' so Apple products cost more than the exchange rate + customs charges amounts to.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:01 PM   #20
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchll View Post
They are in business to make money. The public votes with their pocketbook; it clearly likes products that work.
As opposed to what? All these non-Apple products I've bought over the years, that I'm very happy with, that have never gone wrong, yet somehow 'don't work'?

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2010, 10:34 PM   #21
Mitchll
Cave Dweller
Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ipad Sony reader prs-505 prs-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
As opposed to what? All these non-Apple products I've bought over the years, that I'm very happy with, that have never gone wrong, yet somehow 'don't work'?

Graham
I should say, it works for them (the buyers) DIdn't mean the mechanical sense.
Mitchll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:16 PM   #22
FireRunner
eAddict
FireRunner is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
I'm waiting for the HP Slate. It's very similar to the iPad but with more options and a full internet browser (Flash support included).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3MSjwUrxT0

The iPad is a nice device, but it's too limited and the issue Apple will face are competitors creating similar devices but without the limitations.
FireRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:25 PM   #23
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I think I will sit out the early tablet wars and wait for better screens and battery life. I have decided that I don't really need it if it is just another browsing and media device. And how good these things really are for reading, that we will find out from all you early adopters in a month or two. So just sit back and relax while they get better and better, hopefully.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:32 AM   #24
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRunner View Post
I'm waiting for the HP Slate. It's very similar to the iPad but with more options and a full internet browser (Flash support included).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3MSjwUrxT0

The iPad is a nice device, but it's too limited and the issue Apple will face are competitors creating similar devices but without the limitations.
The problem being though that currently removing THOSE limits introduces OTHER limits!

add usb port, HDMI out, higher resolution screen,equals heavier machine and higher cost.
add multitasking, flash = shorter battery life

those are two very big selling points to the user!

THAT is why Apple have focused on a very simple form of device that is NOT and was never intented to be a full fledged portable computer, but IS an effective media web video reading device. the tablet PC market is clearly not what Apple are aiming at.

adding all of the above would add no value to the product for me and many basic users that want this device for movies music and apps but WOULD reduce battery and increase Weight/Size that would be imo a stupid move.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:52 AM   #25
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
HansTWN --- ``early tablet wars''?!?

Pen computers have been available for over two decades now --- I got my NCR-3125 almost 20 years ago. Anyone interested in tablet computing should read Jerry Kaplan's _StartUp_ for a background on how things fell out, though www.pencomputing.com provides an interesting overview through the older articles it has available on-line.

There's a huge selection of devices available and prices have been coming down ever since they were first introduced (the NCR-3125 listed for over $4,700 when it first came out, while my first laptop, purchased in 1985, a GRiDCase III cost $8,150). I found an HP CEO's statement that the HP slate could have been introduced two years ago for $1,500 quite striking.

As stustaff noted, ``you pays your money and you takes your choice'' --- it's always a trade-off, though improvements in technology help make choices easier and trade-offs less striking --- putting a 4GB SSD in my Fujitsu Stylistic made a huge difference in it running cool, silent and extending the battery life.

William

Last edited by WillAdams; 03-10-2010 at 07:53 AM. Reason: added not about Startup
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:10 AM   #26
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
HansTWN --- ``early tablet wars''?!?

Pen computers have been available for over two decades now --- I got my NCR-3125 almost 20 years ago. Anyone interested in tablet computing should read Jerry Kaplan's _StartUp_ for a background on how things fell out, though www.pencomputing.com provides an interesting overview through the older articles it has available on-line.

There's a huge selection of devices available and prices have been coming down ever since they were first introduced (the NCR-3125 listed for over $4,700 when it first came out, while my first laptop, purchased in 1985, a GRiDCase III cost $8,150). I found an HP CEO's statement that the HP slate could have been introduced two years ago for $1,500 quite striking.

As stustaff noted, ``you pays your money and you takes your choice'' --- it's always a trade-off, though improvements in technology help make choices easier and trade-offs less striking --- putting a 4GB SSD in my Fujitsu Stylistic made a huge difference in it running cool, silent and extending the battery life.

William
I know there were tablets many years ago -- one of Bill Gates' pet projects around 2001 (or so?). But now finally the gloves come off and the war begins. Besides, finally they are getting lighter and batteries last longer. And heavy hyping by columnists, bloggers, and ads will make them more successful then they have been. Steve Jobs even got Hollywood in on the act!

Yes, SSDs are great, but you can get about 4 iPads for a a 256GB one. So I will be waiting. A tablet is just a convenience, everything it does is covered by other devices I already own. So why buy a compromise version now?
Old 03-10-2010, 08:26 AM   #27
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
A tablet is just a convenience, everything it does is covered by other devices I already own. So why buy a compromise version now?
you see thats where i disagree, I have no other way of watching a film or reading a comic on the move in such a form factor.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:35 AM   #28
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
you see thats where i disagree, I have no other way of watching a film or reading a comic on the move in such a form factor.
To each his own, I guess. My phone has a 3.6" inch screen and I have watched movies on it. For browsing it is actually quite ok. Sure movies are not ideal, on the other hand I wouldn't have taken the iPad with me to a coffee shop because it would be too big. No argument, the iPad is nice, but I think we will get a lot better from Apple and others in the next 1-2 years. Until then I will make do with what I have,if I really needed to I could still take my laptop with me. The iPad is great around the house, but would you take it everywhere?

My point is, no rush, I will wait for a better version.

Last edited by HansTWN; 03-10-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:44 AM   #29
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
To each his own, I guess. My phone has a 3.6" inch screen and I have watched movies on it. For browsing it is actually quite ok. Sure movies are not ideal, on the other hand I wouldn't have taken the iPad with me to a coffee shop because it would be too big. No argument, the iPad is nice, but I think we will get a lot better from Apple and others in the next 1-2 years. Until then I will make do with what I have,if I really needed to I could still take my laptop with me. The iPad is great around the house, but would you take it everywhere?
Fair points, I guess the answer is I will take it everywhere i would use it! I know thats a bit rubbish but i wouldnt watch a film when I walk to work,(so no iPad) I would watch a film on a 2hr train to London(So i would take my iPad)

etc etc

I agree we will get better devices in one or two years, but I want something now and will then get the other thing in a year or two. apple devices hold their value nicely that to me a year or two of use will be worth the $200 or so I will 'lose'
Old 03-10-2010, 08:48 AM   #30
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Fair points, I guess the answer is I will take it everywhere i would use it! I know thats a bit rubbish but i wouldnt watch a film when I walk to work,(so no iPad) I would watch a film on a 2hr train to London(So i would take my iPad)

etc etc

I agree we will get better devices in one or two years, but I want something now and will then get the other thing in a year or two. apple devices hold their value nicely that to me a year or two of use will be worth the $200 or so I will 'lose'
I just bought an Irex DR800SG -- since for me the emphasis is on reading -- hence buying now and again in 1-2 years is not really an option for me. My wife would kill me!

Tags
ipad