Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-06-2017, 01:01 AM   #1
Amortization
Amortization began at the beginning.

Device: none
Non-searchable text and Scroll-bar inside the converted PDF output, unusual? Why?

Converted an ePub to a PDF.
Set it to ensure it outputs to A4 size (rather than the default 'letter').

Issue 1: In the output, not only is the text not searchable (it has rendered the entire .PDF as images and I am not sure why because when I delete all the pages but 4-5, it outputs fine and text is searchable). Is this due to some sort of software code that renders them as images? Is this because of the size of the .epub (there are over 4000 pages in the final PDF output, the book itself is only ~1200 pages long)?

NB: Text is searchable in the ePub (viewed in Adobe Digital Editions), in calibre's e-book viewer, and also when only small amount of pages are converted into a PDF from the ePub.

EDIT: I understand from Kovid that this is caused by Qt (the graphics toolkit calibre uses) not being able to identify the font used by the ePub. I have set and changed different fonts in the PDF output conversion settings, but to no avail.

Issue 2: Furthermore, it also outputs in the converted PDF output very unusual Windows horizontal 'scroll bars', which has no interactive function - it is merely just an image of a horizontal scroll bar, underneath the text or table.

Specifically, the contents of the ePub with this issue is simply a long 'table' that stretches in width across the page (due to the ePub author inserting extremely long text into the table, which affects the wrap of the entire table). I can't even view the contents of this table or text as a result, one, because it's stretched in width to the point I can't see it in the PDF, and two, because this 'scrollbar' doesn't even work!!!

NOTE: There is no scrollbar in the original ePUB, so why is it in the converted PDF output?!?! I have attached an image of the scrollbar to this thread.

Has any one had similar encounters or experiences and can explain what is causing this issue and how to resolve it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scrollbar.png
Views:	38
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	156552  

Last edited by Amortization; 05-06-2017 at 01:29 AM.
Amortization is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2017, 03:41 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Amortization - try converting to DOCX and then export that to PDF from MS Word or LO Writer

You'll probably have to do some tweaks in the word processor.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:33 AM   #3
Amortization

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Amortization - try converting to DOCX and then export that to PDF from MS Word or LO Writer

You'll probably have to do some tweaks in the word processor.

BR
Thanks - good suggestion. Unfortunately involves too much work.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:49 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amortization View Post
Thanks - good suggestion. Unfortunately involves too much work.
"PDF Conversion" and "Work" are synonymous

BR
Old 05-06-2017, 05:26 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT,Galaxy Tab 2
Quote:

BR

Conversions are mainly HELPERS.
Depending on from what format to what format, the additional WORK varies.

EPUB has easy to migrate formatting info (tags). PDF, OTOH is at the opposite end of the ease scale.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2017, 09:06 PM   #6
Amortization

Quote:

BR
I agree - but the extent of the work can vary significantly depending on the quality of the ePUB (this one is full of bugs - evident in the conversion log), the amount of pages, images that are involved (which each need to be fit and aligned to the page) and then the subsequent re-alignment of bookmarks and links to each page (which can dynamically change after any of the above adjustments are made).

I paid over 100 in my currency for this ePUB (it offered 'PDF' however this was just an ePUB converted to a PDF with absolutely shocking formatting, pages that went off the margins, causing unreadable text and tables that go beyond the margins), so it's a shame it is this buggy that I cannot even view it in the way I want it.

I have done small-sized ePUBs in the past with no issues, but this is over 4000 pages which unfortunately I have no time for. This is only rationally coming from a benefit versus cost analysis, inclusive of the time constraints I have.

Generally, however, I experience no such issues with ePUBs and calibre does an excellent job at processing it into any output format. The ePUB of this subject in concern is a textbook, and it is presenting me with no mercy with the amount of work involved.

Appreciate the help however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

Conversions are mainly HELPERS.
Depending on from what format to what format, the additional WORK varies.

EPUB has easy to migrate formatting info (tags). PDF, OTOH is at the opposite end of the ease scale.
I agree.

Last edited by Amortization; 05-06-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:53 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator

@Amortization - I'd be asking for a refund, with gentle reminder of any consumer protection that may be applicable under your legal system. If the so-called book was recommended (or worse yet mandated) by a teacher or educational institution I'd be asking them for a "Please Explain" note.

Otherwise I think you're up for some serious tin bashing on the epub, which would seem to be considerable work, or putting up with its malfunction.

If you want help with knocking the ePub into something usable I suggest you create a thread in the MR ePub forum, with a link to this thread to provide context.

BR