Notices

Old 02-11-2010, 09:34 PM   #1
shrktank
Connoisseur
shrktank has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony 650,Nook Color and iPad
Sony Daily Reader sell and get nook?

I am thinking of selling or trading my Sony Daily Reader for the Nook.

I like the Sony and I think it has the best user interface. However I am getting older and my eyes are finding it harder to get use to the little darker screen.

I saw the nook at the store and liked the screen, plus it is a newer gadget!

I noticed something called nooklauncher and I am curious what this can do and if it has enough features to make the decsion to switch to nook a little easier

Anyone want to shoot my their opinions?
shrktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:18 PM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrktank View Post
I am thinking of selling or trading my Sony Daily Reader for the Nook.

I like the Sony and I think it has the best user interface. However I am getting older and my eyes are finding it harder to get use to the little darker screen.

I saw the nook at the store and liked the screen, plus it is a newer gadget!

I noticed something called nooklauncher and I am curious what this can do and if it has enough features to make the decsion to switch to nook a little easier

Anyone want to shoot my their opinions?
nook is using Android, the Google OS. You can "hack" the OS (very conveniently by flashing the firmware) and add new applications:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...50&postcount=7

It's nice. But in my opinion, it falls into the category "gadget".
nook's display is extremely crisp, close or maybe even to Sony 505, my (former?) benchmark unit.
But personally, I don't have any problems with Sony 900 as well.
Sony 900 I rank #1, iRex 800 #2 and nook #3.
If I consider price and not just features, iRex 800 and nook trade places.
But Sony 900 to me remains #1. I simply love the form factor. I find nook a bit less convenient to hold and can't find the right cover (I hate the leather inserts).
nook's touch display is a looker. But is it necessary? The only thing you really can do with it, is displaying covers in color. The ones from B&N look great, for the sideloaded ones you need the "hack" and they look way less "polished".
But even for the B&N ones I have to say, I prefer the entire page full of black and white covers on Sony 900 over a few on the lower screen on nook. And I prefer using the stylus over my finger.
Still: nook is a great unit. But mainly if you consider the low price. If you purely focus on features, it's a bit above Kindle 2. But in my opinion below the "real" touchscreen units.
But it's different for everyone.
Is it about costs? is it about convenience? Why is nook more interesting to you than Kindle 2? Do you need a touchscreen?.....
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2010, 10:35 PM   #3
CandyNJ66
Enthusiast
CandyNJ66 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I think the Nook trounces the Sony PRS 900. The Sony's screen was atrocious imho (just my opinion) and I don't see how a human could read it for very long without getting their eyes checked. Awful.

The Nook on the other hand is excellent in low light, has excellent contrast and is not a gadget imho.

I highly recommend the Nook over the Sony any day
CandyNJ66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:06 AM   #4
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyNJ66 View Post
I think the Nook trounces the Sony PRS 900. The Sony's screen was atrocious imho (just my opinion) and I don't see how a human could read it for very long without getting their eyes checked. Awful.

The Nook on the other hand is excellent in low light, has excellent contrast and is not a gadget imho.

I highly recommend the Nook over the Sony any day
Just arrived back home from my first business trip with the PRS-900 last night. I have to say I agree with the quote above. The screen was attrocious on the flight last night. I had to find the right position to hold the reader due to glare. This was using the overhead light in the cabin.

I ordered a Nook online Tuesday so it should get here today. I'll do a quick comparison but the 900 goes back to Best Buy tomorrow.

The features and interface of the 900 is excellent, though. Too bad the screen doesn't live up to expectations.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:59 AM   #5
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
That's basically the jist of it. Practically nothing beats Sony's polish and feature set right now unless you pay through the nose, but the catch is the screen. Some don't mind the trade off, some do. It's a pretty subjective thing.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 08:33 AM   #6
robertpolson
Connoisseur
robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
I've had PRS 900 for over a week now and went though a dilemma if I should keep it or not. The main reason why I wanted to return PRS 900 is the screen glare under certain conditions.

I've been testing it out and reading what other people had to say for a week. Today I went to Barnes & Noble and played with Nook.

Yes, Nook has a sharper and a better screen with little glare. However, it felt slower than PRS 900 Extra Large font size on Nook was comparable to medium font size on Sony PRS 900.

However, I have asked myself one key question - why do I need an eReader? My answer is to read mostly non-fiction and to learn from it by taking notes. Thus highlighting and taking notes is one of the most important feature doe me. PRS 900 does this very well while Nook takes quiet a bit of time to highlight something. The joystick navigation is ok, but will take too much time for my need.

Next, I picked up Mighty Bright XtraFlex2 Clip-On Light from Barnes & Noble for $16. Now I can read just fine in low light conditions like at night at home. Highly recommended.

During the day, there is enough sun light to read and enjoy paper like look on PRS 900. Also, the glare effect is actually a positive thing because it will make me be in the sun more and outdoor which is something that I forget to do nowadays (a lot of people do not get enough day light nowadays).

Overall, I'll stay with PRS 900 and enjoy my exploration of various literature.

P.S. One thing that I've noticed about many people is that those who have been exposed to iphone or an ipod and see an eReader for the first time, naturally try to perform a swipe gesture only to be surprised that it is not how eInk works.
robertpolson is offline   Reply With Quote