Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-02-2010, 04:35 PM   #61
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Yep, LCD (and especially LED) don't bother my eyes nor give me headaches. Everyone is different, so it's silly for people to try and state things like that as fact.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #62
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
I think the specs are fine. Apple simply has planned obsolescence built into their product line so you can expect "obvious" things like an isight camera (it was built already with one but removed) and some other things in a refresh within 12 months. If you want something a little better you can wait. I remember when the iPod Touch came out, I bought one and really like it but it didn't have an external speaker or hard volume buttons so I returned it. Presto, the 2G comes out and I've been happy ever since. Now they have a faster one, next one might have a video camera, you never know.

I don't see why people see so offended the iPad is the way it is. A full blown OS on a netbook/tablet is overkill, cumbersome to use. I have a Dell mini 9 and hardly use it because it's cludgy. A dedicated instant-on device with tens of thousands of apps already built and thousands more coming is a real benefit for people who either don't want to mess around with a full os (virus, patching, software installs, battery life etc).

When this takes off, just like the iPod there's a simple reason: the vast majority of consumers don't want to know how to run scripts or edit a registry they want an appliance that just works.

I use about 5 apps now that are must haves for me on a daily basis and having them reissued in iPad format would pay for itself for me. Add to that all sorts of possibilities such as a decent pdf reader, and browser and I've more than likely getting one.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 05:46 PM   #63
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyche View Post
I use about 5 apps now that are must haves for me on a daily basis and having them reissued in iPad format would pay for itself for me. Add to that all sorts of possibilities such as a decent pdf reader, and browser and I've more than likely getting one.
Well, what are you waiting for..tell us which ones!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:25 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by strangeseraph View Post
Textr runs on iPod Touch. There's an app for that! And its free!

The iPad is basically running the same OS as iPod Touch and all the iPod Touch compatible apps will work out of box. Hopefully there's time for the apps like txtr to be upscaled to the new screen size before it launches!
The txtr app has one draw back and that is the fault of Apple and it's closed mind er system. You have to use the txtr website to upload your content to and then the txtr app can download it from there. But, the good thing however is you can share your ePub with friends and if you've stripped the DRM, then you are in even better shape to share.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:46 PM   #65
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyche View Post
I think the specs are fine. Apple simply has planned obsolescence built into their product line so you can expect "obvious" things like an isight camera (it was built already with one but removed) and some other things in a refresh within 12 months. If you want something a little better you can wait. I remember when the iPod Touch came out, I bought one and really like it but it didn't have an external speaker or hard volume buttons so I returned it. Presto, the 2G comes out and I've been happy ever since. Now they have a faster one, next one might have a video camera, you never know.

I don't see why people see so offended the iPad is the way it is. A full blown OS on a netbook/tablet is overkill, cumbersome to use. I have a Dell mini 9 and hardly use it because it's cludgy. A dedicated instant-on device with tens of thousands of apps already built and thousands more coming is a real benefit for people who either don't want to mess around with a full os (virus, patching, software installs, battery life etc).

When this takes off, just like the iPod there's a simple reason: the vast majority of consumers don't want to know how to run scripts or edit a registry they want an appliance that just works.

Exactly! Good points!
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 09:23 PM   #66
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The txtr app has one draw back and that is the fault of Apple and it's closed mind er system. You have to use the txtr website to upload your content to and then the txtr app can download it from there. But, the good thing however is you can share your ePub with friends and if you've stripped the DRM, then you are in even better shape to share.
If Txtr takes advantage of the shared folder feature in 3.2, that would make me pretty happy.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:08 PM   #67
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
What I wish were on the Pad I don't have yet is some kind of wireless communication between my iPhone & the Pad.

That is to say, with the iPhone & the Pad right beside each other, I would like to be able to sync my apps between the two, so that the most recently updated app would be transferred, one to the other, without a 3G connection or another device operating as a hot spot or intermediary.

I would also like a hundred thousand dollars in small unmarked bills to be delivered to my door tomorrow morning.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:17 PM   #68
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
I would also like a hundred thousand dollars in small unmarked bills to be delivered to my door tomorrow morning.
Me too!!!
Old 02-03-2010, 12:02 AM   #69
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
What iPad is missing
  • USB ports and Memory card slots
  • Flash browser
  • e-book format support. Seems to have PDF and eReader and ePub. But is ADEPT ePub going to be available? Is PDF support very good?
  • DivX video support (and other formats as well)
  • Remote PC control - I expect that LogMeIn Ignition or other apps will support this
  • BT tethering to use my Treo as modem data plan. I'm not even sure how I'll figure this out before making a purchase decision, but it would be a big plus if it works.
  • GPS and mapping SW. Wish it could run Google Maps with GPS. Maybe it will?
  • Flash browsing - especially to allow things like Hulu, Fancast, ESPN360, etc.
  • Synching without a computer or iTunes. That goes back to the memory card and USB port, but also I don't really want to even use iTunes unless I have to.
  • If you buy an app on an iPad/iPhone/iTouch, do you have to buy it again to use it on another iPad/iPhone/iTouch? If not, and I get an iPad, they may have shifted my future phone desires from Android to iPhone as well.
My take on your list, Bob:

1) only as dongles-both a USB adapter and SD card adapter were shown..BUT...they are being specifically referred to as "camera" accessories (i.e. to help transfer digital photos/hook up a camera), not as general purpose ports-which may be a difference.

2) Just not going to happen.

3) No news about what ePub DRM it will support. My guess? Apple's Fairplay. Apple really hates to depend on anyone else for stuff like this.

4) video codec support will be .h264. None of the fun ones like divx or mkv. (Would be awesome if Perian could be installed, but its not going to happen)

5) Can't wait to try LogmeIn Ignition on the iPad...its just too small on the iPhone for me.

6) Tethering. Love to see it, esp. for the iPhone, don't expect to see it.

7) GPS-yes, with the 3G model only. (A-GPS actually)

8) Not going to happen. I do predict Hulu and ESPN will offer iPad/iPhone compatible streaming solutions though.

9) Syncing-tied to iTunes only...except the shared folder thing-where it will put a folder on your PC or Mac that Apps can access. Still have to start up iTunes though, I bet.

10) Nope. All the apps you've bought are still yours to use on the iPad as they are...BUT...I bet Apple will allow app devs to re-charge for iPad specific versions-at least once...if that makes sense.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:31 AM   #70
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
GPS will work like on the iPod Touch, using the Wifi, or Wifi+3G Tower if you have an iPad 3G. so no it's not A-GPS that still need a standard GPS chip.
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:55 AM   #71
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
GPS will work like on the iPod Touch, using the Wifi, or Wifi+3G Tower if you have an iPad 3G. so no it's not A-GPS that still need a standard GPS chip.
AFAIK it does have A-GPS in the 3G version. See here.

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:58 AM   #72
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Ha yes your right. What the hell did they only include the GPS module on the 3G version???
Does the GPS is included in the 3G module (that may be possible)
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:01 AM   #73
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
Ha yes your right. What the hell did they only include the GPS module on the 3G version???
Does the GPS is included in the 3G module (that may be possible)
Yes - it's quite common for 3G chipsets to include GPS functionality.

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:09 AM   #74
dragonbone
must love dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjb View Post
AFAIK it does have A-GPS in the 3G version. See here.

/JB
Awesome, thanks!
Old 02-03-2010, 07:00 AM   #75
kcnightfang
kcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-900 but selling to move to and Ipad
The OS leads to a lot of the form factor decisions, i.e. the dock connector, no USB/SD cards. Apple never used them on any iPod and there's no reason to see that changing any time soon. Also, it's not really correct to look at this as a big iPod Touch or iPhone, those are scaled down versions of the iPad. The iPad was in development and they took the tech and branched it into the iPhone and made it available quickly and let people get used to the interface. The iPad is basically Apple saying that they got it right with the iPhone/iPod Touch and they don't have any reason to change the OS when something else uses the same multitouch interface.
kcnightfang is offline   Reply With Quote