Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-19-2010, 05:54 AM   #1
Kat81
Kat81 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Sub-zero reading

Hi everybody!

I got my PRS-300 for Christmas, and am really happy. I do a lot of reading on the train and bus when going to work, and it's really nice not having to carry some big book in my purse.

From time to time I have to stand outside waiting for my train or bus to arrive, and at this point this is the only thing that is less practical with an e-reader: it's the middle of the winter, and according to the user manual the operating temperature for the reader is 5 to 35 °C (not the typical temperature range in Norway at this time of year... ). Have anybody had any experienses using their reader in temperatures below this?

Best regards,
Katrine.
Kat81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:59 AM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
You could perhaps do it for a few minutes, but no more. It is just not good for consumer electronics to be used at such temps. My first iPod really hated cold temps, and over time I think it damaged it.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2010, 06:42 AM   #3
ArcticBoy
hooked on books
ArcticBoy doesn't litterArcticBoy doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi Kat81,
We both live in the same country, maybe even the same city.
Oh yes, I have been carrying my PRS-600 in my backpack with me and (like you) been freezing my b*** off waiting for the bus or the train lately. With temperatures down to - 20 °C the reader has been quite chilled when I have picked up from my backpack to read on the bus or the train, but it has never failed. I have not seen any problems at all, on the other hand the reader has never been completely frozen either.

Keep Cool !!

ArcticBoy
ArcticBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:44 AM   #4
spideog
Connoisseur
spideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enough

Personally I'd have more trouble using it in 35°C than 0°C.

It will take time before the internals actually get down to 0°C after you take it out of your bag anyway. The main issue will be taking it from one extreme to the other and then condensation occurring. The electronics won't care too much about being cold, the battery and screen will though.
spideog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:45 AM   #5
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
I don't know how bad it is for the e-reader, but I have been known to read outdoors in sub-zero (centigrade) temperatures. The screen refresh gets more slow after it cools down, and the pages are not as crisp, but more washed out. I'm guessing it puts a strain on the electronics, and maybe whatever plastics there are in the e-ink screen, not to mention battery.... (thinking metal and glass are ok with cold).

Anyhow, I've been reading away while babysitting kids outdoors in -25 to -30 C and my reader is still functioning....
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2010, 06:55 AM   #6
spideog
Connoisseur
spideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enough

The electronics will love the cold.

The eInk and battery will probably not though, and that will be where they are being careful with the temp ratings of +5.

Glass going from cold to warm is very bad, especially for any electronics that may be close by that bit of glass.
spideog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:39 AM   #7
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
In this recent cold snap in the US, I used my 300 some in below freezing temps (around mid-20s F is probably the coldest that I used it.) Page turns were maybe slightly slower, but nothing else. The battery held up fine. (In my ancient but still great Sony F707 camera, the battery simply does not work even in the 30s F)
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:50 AM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
When I use mine in the cold, it slows down and doesn't refresh well. Once it warms back up it is fine. I would try to keep it out of the cold for extended periods of time, just in case.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:58 AM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Instead of the backpack, try to keep it in an inside warm pocket close to your body. The less you stress the glass with extremes, the better, I would say.

Not a prob in Alabama, but in the same reason for not stressing the glass with extremes, I would not leave it in the car in summer.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:51 AM   #10
Kat81
Kat81 began at the beginning.

Thanks for all the replies!

I'm thinking that I'll be a bit careful, seeing as the thing is brand new and quite expensive and I wouldn't want to damage it... Guess I'll wait until the temp rises a little bit. Maybe I'll get more daring next winter.

- Kat.
Kat81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:46 PM   #11
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
Kat81 one thing you might try to keep your reader from freezing is to try using some of those hand warmer pads in your back pack. If you put them in a nonflamable sock or something of that sort you will be able to keep the contents of your backpack warm even in subzero weather. There are some that work off of batteries or air activated. Some of the products at either one of these sites might be of use for you. Or you can use one of the many available search engines to help find something more suitable for your needs. Hope this advice helps.

http://www.campingsurvival.com/handw...FSkZawodezPv0A

http://www.safetycentral.com/inreushanbod.html
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote