Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-20-2006, 07:51 AM   #16
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by masc
+ "The Swarm" from Frank Schatzing. I read it in German. I'dont now how good the translated version is.
No translated version available yet, but I second that, it was a great read.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:45 AM   #17
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
His Dark Materials -- Phillip Pullman
Thomas Covenant series -- Stephen Donaldson
Magician -- Raymond Feist
Otherland Series - Tad Williams
These are all excellent series imo.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2006, 09:38 AM   #18
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
I agree with everything Volwraith suggested other than the Dark Materials series. I found it utterly unreadable. But everyone to their own taste.

Now Magician and the other riftwar series (and all it's subsequent books) are highly recommended. They really are excellent. Partuclarly the empire books, set on the other side of the Rift.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 10:53 AM   #19
pda247
pda247 began at the beginning.

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold- wonderful!
pda247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:14 AM   #20
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
Be sure to tell us something about what kind of book it is, and why you liked it so much and what device you read it on.
When I read the original 'call for comments', I hoped the quoted line would help making this less of another 'this, and this, and that' book.

I don't recognize half of the titles that are mentioned: please add a few words about what genre (if any) the book belongs to when you post, at the very least.

Last edited by ath; 07-24-2006 at 01:40 AM.
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2006, 01:30 PM   #21
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
There is a list from the British Librarian Society consisting of the 30 best novels of all time.
I've briefly heard on the news about It a couple of months ago and could'nt find It. All I remember is that Alice Sebold and Audrey Niffenegger are on It.

Can someone find that list ?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 04:58 PM   #22
branko
Connoisseur
branko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enough

Device: Palm Zire
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
There is a list from the British Librarian Society consisting of the 30 best novels of all time.
I've briefly heard on the news about It a couple of months ago and could'nt find It. All I remember is that Alice Sebold and Audrey Niffenegger are on It.

Can someone find that list ?
Were you talking about the list of books every adult should read before they die? It's here. The association was the British Museum, Libraries and Archives Council (MLAC), btw. (I wrote about it for the Project Gutenberg homepage, which is why I remembered.)
branko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 08:19 AM   #23
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Thank you Branko ! Thank you very much !
I was going nuts trying to find It !
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 10:07 PM   #24
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Space Prison (AKA - The Survivors) by Tom Godwin.

Space Prison is a story of exile. A race of humans inadequate to be kept as slaves are left by their captors to perish on an barren and harsh planet. As they die from fever, animal attacks, starvation and sheer stress all that is left to keep the remnant going is the desire for an impossible revenge.

Free ebook at -- http://manybooks.net/titles/godwinto...ce_prison.html

slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 10:53 PM   #25
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Young
ath> The Uncommercial Traveller> is this available as an ebook
http://manybooks.net/titles/dickenscetext97unctr10.html
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:02 PM   #26
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
A couple that I have recently liked are a memoir of the civil rights movement by the mother/daughter team of Patricia Stevens Due and Tananarive Due, Freedom in the Family and Frank Delaney's Ireland, a mix of history and myth wrapped around a great family story. A list that includes my reading for '06, plus top 10 & honorable mentions is here - http://jdhake.pbwiki.com/ReadingList2006. Note that I don't distinguish audiobooks, but nearly 50% are since I have a fairly lengthy daily commute.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote