Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 03-01-2024, 10:33 AM   #1
Homer55
Enthusiast
Homer55 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
help with calibre news

I have never used this feature before today, I used it an it was great except for one thing, when trying to download a feed, from a site called "directo al paladar" it wasn't able to, the task manager showed that it was trying to download this (https://www.directoalpaladar.com/rec...ana-gran-exito) article (i believe) but it wasn't, it just stayed there for a lot of time, i left and came back an hour later and it was still trying to download that one article. Now, I use use Tiny Tiny RSS with a generated feed that only send my unreads articles, so I marked that one article as read and and tried to download the articles from that one feed again and it worked (now that that one article wasn't being marked as unread). My question is, I now you can modify recipes and stuff, I don't know how to do that but, could there be something like, if an article takes more that 30 seconds to download, it should ignore it, can it be done? or some other solution?
Homer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 10:44 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
the default timeout for articles fetches is 60 secs as far as I recall, if the download was hanging then it will be because the remote server was doing some anti-bot shenanigans like sending a few bytes every few seconds to simulate a very slow connection.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2024, 11:50 AM   #3
Homer55
Enthusiast
Homer55 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
but only for that one article? it literaly was just that one article, I use Tiny Tiny RSS and generate a feed (https://tt-rss.org/wiki/GeneratedFeeds) to send unread articles only, and when I marked the article that I linked as read (meaning it would not sent it to the feed that calibre was accesing), it downloaded everything normal. If you click the link you can see that there's a black square in the middle, I checked the page code and its a dailymotion video that isn't loading, so I'm guessing that's the problem, the question is, how can it be done that calibre when it detects a video in an article either ignores the article or just download everything but ignores the video? again, I have never used the fetch news plugin but it seems I can modify a custom recipe to do weird stuff.

edit: I finally was able to download the article, after searching a lot I found the "print_version()" function, but I needed an url for the print version, and I couldn't find that out, then I stumbled by accident on the "remove_tags" function and at first I thought it was for like tags of the article but it was acctually to clean the HTML of the article, I just told it to delete the part of the article that housed the video (in my case it was <div class="js-dailymotion">) and then it downloaded normally!!

Last edited by Homer55; 03-01-2024 at 02:33 PM.
Homer55 is offline   Reply With Quote