Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-25-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
ufoDziner
ufoDziner began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 360
Meta & format questions

Hello,
I just got a PB 360 for my wife, and she loves it. However, I'm trying to add some books for her and I'm not seeing the results I'd like. The books that came on it have a TOC and show more information on the menu screen. Is there a place I can download the books with this setup already?

I noticed that they're also in .fb2.zip format. Is this better than .epub for for the PB360?

If I had to choose a format when getting books from Smashwords, which would it be?

What about from gutenberg?

Thanks in advance
ufoDziner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 01:23 PM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufoDziner View Post
Is there a place I can download the books with this setup already?

I noticed that they're also in .fb2.zip format. Is this better than .epub for for the PB360?

If I had to choose a format when getting books from Smashwords, which would it be?

Those very nice books are in fb2 format. It can be zipped and the reading application knows how to unzip them before opening.
FB2 format is popular in Russian speaking countries. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fb2
There is plugin for OpenOffice.org Writer that lets you create FB2 files. See http://code.google.com/p/ooofbtools/ Plugin is on a Russian page, but the interface is in English. When you run the plugin you have to wait several minutes for it to process the file and produce a document.

See http://www.fictionbook-lib.org/ for example books.

The main reading application on PB is FBReader, a program that was developed for reading FB2 formated books. And, indeed, FB2 files look very, very nice on PocketBook. Other formats are just something extra.
a FB2 book is basically an xml formatted file with e-book specific tags.

You can open e-pub file using FBReader. Just hold the OK button and you get menu. Select Open With.

With Gutenberg you can download "plain vanilla" .txt file and PocketBook will recognize it and reformat it for you. There is a menu in FBReader where you can set how paragraphs in file are separated. In case of Gutenberg files paragraphs have hard returns after 70 characters and are separated by an empty line or begin with a few spaces or a tab at the beginning of the line.

Installation of FB2 creation software for OpenOffice.
Download package here http://code.google.com/p/ooofbtools/downloads/list
The newest is OOoFBTools-1.13.zip
Unpack
Start OpenOffice Writer
menu Tools -> Extension manager
Add
navigate to directory where you unpacked zip file
Select OOoFBTools.oxt and click Open
Read licence (or at least scroll down and agree with the licence)
Restart OOoWriter.
There is OOoFBTools menu
The only part that you really need at the beginning is Export to FB2
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2009, 04:02 PM   #3
ufoDziner
ufoDziner began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 360
Thanks for the thorough reply. I appreciate your help.
ufoDziner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:28 AM   #4
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufoDziner View Post
Hello,
I just got a PB 360 for my wife, and she loves it. However, I'm trying to add some books for her and I'm not seeing the results I'd like. The books that came on it have a TOC and show more information on the menu screen. Is there a place I can download the books with this setup already?

Thanks in advance
There are some book formats that work nicely on the 360°. fb2.zip is one of those. ePub is also very nice! Try to import your books into Calibre and converting your books to one of those formats before transfering them to your device!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:33 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The metadata and TOC work just fine with all my ePub books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2009, 04:01 AM   #6
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The metadata and TOC work just fine with all my ePub books.
The new FBReader version made by SFF also has page breaks before chapters, Harry!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote