Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-20-2006, 10:05 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Free Steve Jordan book

Steve just dropped us a note to tell us about his site with science fiction e-books. Plus as a bonus, he is offering his book, The Onuissance Cells to visitors for free.

The site seems to be done the way we would like to see it... no DRM and in multiple formats: PDB (readable by iSilo, Mobipocket and eReader, and others), iSilo, MobiPocket, MS Reader, Adobe Reader (PDF), Palm Doc (unformatted).

His featured book right now is Encephalopath, which is available for $2.50. The sort of price point we've all dreamed of for e-books. The book summary says, "Glen Jansen is seeking to improve his work and prospects when he purchases bleeding edge personal computer technology. But when the tech gives him unexpected access to strange parts of the net, and seemingly to other people's very thoughts, he finds himself on the run from the government, the mob, and a bunch of ersatz terrorist/patriots, all while trying to find out who's really controlling the country's networks!"

For more detail on his approach to book publishing, here is what he tells us. "Right Brane ePublishing was established by me as a venue offering a more sensible and practical method of selling electronic books and other electronic documents. Anyone familiar with the e-book market is aware that it is rife with uncooperative print publishers, overpriced products, incompatible e-book readers and formats, and convoluted digital rights management (copy protection) systems. These aspects serve to alienate many potential e-book purchasers, and as a result, the e-book market has remained a niche market growing at a snail's pace. I have researched the state of the e-book industry, including starting public dialogues with many e-book users, comparing e-books to other electronic products, electronic and print documents, and examining the realities of selling via the Internet. My conclusion, in a nutshell, was that there was a viable market for electronic books sold exclusively over the web, for a low cost, and with minimal copy protection measures applied to individual books. It is my belief that quality material can be offered in e-book format to a large following of buyers. A low price will encourage more sales, and the low overhead required to sell electronic files over the Internet will still allow for a reasonable profit per sale. There will be some inevitable sharing of the books, lowering the profit coming to me, but the low cost of the e-books should keep the sharing factor down to a comfortable level. As a result, I have decided to create Right Brane ePublishing as my publishing vehicle. I plan to offer my novels (as well as other free material) on this site, adding additional novels as they are finished, and monitoring the site's activity to gauge its success."

Sounds like very sensible (and familiar) thoughts! Now the remaining question is simply whether or not the books are any good. I suppose that a look at the excerpts or free book should make that pretty clear. But as most of us are lazy, why don't one of you give it a try and let us know what you think?! Encephalopath looks intriguing to me from the description, so it just might go on my tentative reading list.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 03:52 PM   #2
paulkbiba
Connoisseur
paulkbiba began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e61i, iPhone
Just for info, I downloaded the Onuissance Cells book in eReader/Palm Doc format and it works just fine in FBReader on the Nokia 770.
paulkbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2006, 11:47 PM   #3
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Hi,

I have found out about Mr. Jordan's books on the Emerald City (www.emcit.com, one of the best sites alongisde locus online - locusmag.com, and sfsignal - sfsignal.com, for news about sf&f, also has a monthly review issue which is very good) weblog about a month ago, and I checked out his books.

Since he kindly provided excerpts, I read some and got hooked on his books, so I purchased all in mslit form, converted them to html (no drm so it is legal as far as I know), loaded them on my 2 ereaders (Nokia 770, Ebookwise 1150) and read 6 of them as of now, and I am currently reading the new one and Worldfarm One which I avoided a bit due to its subject, though I like its style and the main character.

I strongly recommend his books, especially the near future ones, Evoguia (10/10), Orbital Factory (10/10), Robin (9/10 - the story is conventional sf and a bit short but great characters and execution), Encephalopath (reading currently), and Worldfarm One (especially if you do not mind it's geopolitical setup seems as good as the others).

I read Sol (9/10 - a bit unbalanced and flat characters but some great ideas and had a section - the Sol one - that reminded me a lot of one of my favourite authors the late Australian writer George Turner's Genetic Soldier -actually more of Mr. Jordan's work reminds me of George Turner though with updated technology and a far cheerier outlook overall - Mr. Turner's great books Brain Child, Drowning Towers, The Destiny Makers, Down There In Darkness, Genetic Soldier are pretty grim but really good)
I also read The Onuissance Cells (8/10 - unbalanced and really unfinished but with great moments) and The Berserker (7/10 - conventional sf, characters not fleshed out enough, though good enough to care to find out what happened) and I plan to read Midgards Militia too.

Liviu
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 01:44 AM   #4
Jorgen
Connoisseur
Jorgen has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony prs-650, iPod, BEBOOK Mini, Nokia n810, iPaq
I'll second the recommendation of Steve's books: great read and good value for money.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 02:52 PM   #5
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
Ah yes, on recommendation here I just bought it (a few hours ago) and finished it just now.

Quite the enjoyable read.
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2006, 03:23 PM   #6
Brad
Zealot
Brad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3 / EB1150 /iPhone
I read the Onuissance Cells and enjoyed it. I think it worth the time of any science fiction reader to at least give this free ebook a try to see if you like Jordan's style.

I intend to buy more titles.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 05:28 AM   #7
harvey
harvey began at the beginning.

Device: XDA IIi
I've read most of Steve's novels and without fail enjoyed them all.

There's also a free short story by Steve Jordan available exclusively via http://www.digireader.com - I think you need to register for the forums to get a copy.
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote