Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-26-2009, 05:51 PM   #181
mimoviz
Enthusiast
mimoviz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Good for you Howard. I wish I was you today! :-)
mimoviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:20 PM   #182
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dura74 View Post

Now works, but I can't purchase ebook because in Italy the Sony reader is not market and so I cannot add credit card information...

I had to wait Sony decide to open the shop to italian market... I think never...
Congratulations!

If you are happy with English books, and don't mind pretending you live in the US, various mobileread members are very generous with their time when it comes to purchasing gift cards that you can use.

This link here...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49025

...contains some recent activity.

There are also loads of other bookstores - I read a fair bit, and have found only one book I wanted to read that was available at the Sony store but at none of my preferred sites. Search the forums for tips, or PM me if you want a list of my favourites.

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2009, 07:56 PM   #183
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimoviz View Post
Guys: I hope Im not the only one but I cant seem to have EBL to run in my system (Leopard 10.5.8). Whenever I try to run it by clicking the icon, it just stays in the dock and that's that.
I tried to run it within a terminal but it seems it get stucked when loading a library called FskUtilsInstallOpenFileHandler.

Any ideas?
I had a thought... yes I'm sure you can smell the wood burning, does anyone that is having problems not seeing the Window had Adobe Digital Editions installed?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:58 PM   #184
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I had a thought... yes I'm sure you can smell the wood burning, does anyone that is having problems not seeing the Window had Adobe Digital Editions installed?

BOb
That is a rather good thought.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:59 PM   #185
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:

Now works, but I can't purchase ebook because in Italy the Sony reader is not market and so I cannot add credit card information...

I had to wait Sony decide to open the shop to italian market... I think never...
Sounds like the don't have a default localization if your PC is set to one that they don't have a translation for. It is perfectly possible for someone to be in the US or Canada and using a language other than English.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2009, 10:26 PM   #186
Bren423
Bren423 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505 & iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by krischik View Post
You click the icon with the silver gears. The you choose the icon with the united nations flag. On the 2nd page you choose one of the supported countries mentioned on page 1. I used germany.

Once you rebooted and started the library manager once for testing you change the country back to what is was.

Martin
Thanks for the tip. I had exactly the same problems as the others. I have a Mac Mini running on OSX v10.4.11 PowerPc and I only get the menus and nothing else. I tried again at my iMac PowerPC G5 with the same OS version in the office and it is still the same. After reading your suggestion, I nosed around for some information and also checked the eBook Library folder and saw this under the OpenURL.sh file:

# Region selection during eBL install
# Dialog displays when ini file has US region only for work around of eBLsetup bug
EBLSELRGNPATH=~/Library/Caches/eblselrgn

I didn’t quite undersatand what you meant by “icon with silver gear”, but I went and changed the country from Hong Kong to US in the System Preference, reinstalled the software, restarted the machine and that’s it. It works!!! It seems that for those of us not in the US, the region where your computer is set up does affect the installation. Anyway, thanks again.
Bren423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:12 AM   #187
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Lots of people seem to be having problems with 10.5.8 - you could try that Tiger workaround I used successfully previously (try installing the application on a new account) - but it may be better to tell Sony about it, it sounds endemic.

Last edited by AprilHare; 08-27-2009 at 12:18 AM.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:37 AM   #188
Dura74
Dura74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Portable Reader 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren423 View Post

I didn’t quite undersatand what you meant by “icon with silver gear”,
system preference
Dura74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:55 AM   #189
Dura74
Dura74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Portable Reader 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Sounds like the don't have a default localization if your PC is set to one that they don't have a translation for. It is perfectly possible for someone to be in the US or Canada and using a language other than English.

BOb
If I change the language of the application I get the following situation:

France: the shop switch to Fnac and rediret me on a outside web page of Fnac web site.
English set to United Kindon I be directed on Waterstones.com/books
etc.

Only in English and United States configuration Ebook Library use its internal shop, but If I go to "my account">"update credit card information" in the fild Country I can choose only between Canada and United States.

If i need some book I'll use the opportunity mentioned by amjbrown (or I use Books on Board)!
Dura74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:30 AM   #190
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
changing the region worked for me!!
Thanks for the tip. can't believe I spent over an hour speaking to technical support with no fix, and then here in mobileread got it fixed by reading this thread...
lev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:25 AM   #191
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren423 View Post
I didn’t quite undersatand what you meant by “icon with silver gear”,

the 3rd and 11th from the right. Square silver box with gears. What's not to understand?

Quote:
system preference
If course they are not called that on my german localised system ;-)
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:34 AM   #192
Bren423
Bren423 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505 & iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by krischik View Post

the 3rd and 11th from the right. Square silver box with gears. What's not to understand?
Hah, my system preference icon looks different. No silver gears, just a box with an apple logo.
Bren423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:05 AM   #193
embe71
embe71 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That is a rather good thought.
But probably wrong: Running fine here with ADE installed (Snow Leopard). Afterwards I deleted ADE, still running fine.
embe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:18 AM   #194
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One rule is that if something you've installed does not work, stop everything you have running at startup and see if that fixes the problem. Then add them back in one by one until you see what is the problem. All the OS X people with problems with eBook Library 3.0 should try this.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:33 AM   #195
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One rule is that if something you've installed does not work, stop everything you have running at startup and see if that fixes the problem. Then add them back in one by one until you see what is the problem. All the OS X people with problems with eBook Library 3.0 should try this.
Or they could try changing the Region setting in the System Preferences, which has already been confirmed to work for several people in this thread.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote