Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-04-2008, 10:08 AM   #1
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Anyone watch Legend of the Seeker?

This is the show based on Terry Goodkind's novels. I caught the first hour of the two hour premiere. While it had quite a few problems I think it could still go somewhere. Where exactly I'm not sure, but with everything else turning to reality TV I would like to see this get a chance. If you caught it, what was your opinion?

http://www.legendoftheseeker.com/

-MJ

(And since its not on Fox they might let it get a few episodes in to let the actors get comfortable in the roles)
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:05 AM   #2
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

(Guess anyone that had their TV on was watching Desperate Housewives...)

-MJ
Advert
Old 11-07-2008, 09:43 AM   #3
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Haven't watched much television lately. Maybe I'll try to catch a rerun this weekend.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:02 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I watched both hours based on all the hooplah that happened over the 4 month exclusivity deal of "Wizards First Rule" on Amazon. I was bored. It all seemed so familiar (kind of biblical) with nothing new or different about the story approach to grab me enough to make me want to continue watching.

This likely a case of the books being better than the translation to film but I no longer have a desire to read the books. I'm taking "Wizards First Rule" off my Kindle wish list.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:30 PM   #5
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
The first hour was the better hour from the two. The second part is really bad and getting away from the book plot.
Actually, by the end of the episode I was sure there will be no more similarities between the book and the movies...
gollu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2008, 07:43 PM   #6
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post

(Guess anyone that had their TV on was watching Desperate Housewives...)

-MJ
Nah, I taped DH. I was probably watching .... something else?? Or reading. Or working on plans for a new building project. Or ..... eh, who knows.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:28 PM   #7
mjh215
Guru

I watched this weeks episode. (Still haven't seen the second half to the first) I'm starting to think maybe it should be renamed Legend of the Cleavage. One could expect that given it's from the guy that did Hercules and Xena but if this is trying to leave behind the slapstick elements shouldn't it leave those, ummm, aspects behind as well? I'm warm blooded and certainly don't mind but the show really seems to be lacking in all ways other then looks. (Beautiful NZ scenery)

Maybe next week I'll just read a book instead....

-MJ
Old 11-10-2008, 08:27 PM   #8
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
I watched this weeks episode. (Still haven't seen the second half to the first) I'm starting to think maybe it should be renamed Legend of the Cleavage. One could expect that given it's from the guy that did Hercules and Xena but if this is trying to leave behind the slapstick elements shouldn't it leave those, ummm, aspects behind as well? I'm warm blooded and certainly don't mind but the show really seems to be lacking in all ways other then looks. (Beautiful NZ scenery)

Maybe next week I'll just read a book instead....

-MJ
Legend of the Cleavage! I caught one of the episodes where a woman uses that particular physical feature to her advantage. I ended up with a headache from rolling my eyes during the episode. I liked the book better.

Dreamer
Old 11-13-2008, 01:11 PM   #9
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
obviously not a winner, then ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:24 PM   #10
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
FOr someone who never read the books nor watched the current TV show episodes... How faithfull is the TV version? Are the books anything good, to begin with?
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:04 PM   #11
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
FOr someone who never read the books nor watched the current TV show episodes... How faithfull is the TV version? Are the books anything good, to begin with?
I've only seen one episode and don't remember enough details about the book to compare.

Dreamer
Old 11-14-2008, 04:31 AM   #12
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Then I guess the book wasn't that remarkable
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:38 AM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I just saw this in my guide when I was browsing through what to watch. I recalled it was discussed here. I created a season pass on my TiVO to catch it.

I checked and saw that I could watch it on Hulu.com. So, I watched the first episode. I did actually like it. Compared to much of the crap on TV these days. It didn't exactly follow the book but it was certainly pretty close to it.

The actress that plays Khalan is certainly a beautiful girl but I still think Khalan's hair is too short.

They also pronounced (or pronuciated as Joe the plumber would say) things a bit differently than I did in my head. For example on the show they say "Kay Lynn" and I always read it as "Kay Lawn" since it's not spelled Khalin. Also, she said Ayindril with a difference empashis than I originally did. Oh well.

My one suggestion at this point would be to move production to HD... that people and settings would certainly support it.

I does make me want to go back and re-read Wizard's First Rule. Re-reading is something I don't often, if ever, do. But, I read this book so long ago that I forgot alot of the details.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:40 AM   #14
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Coincidently just checked this, again, a couple of hours ago - "Sorry not available in your country" ...

B************************r
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:53 AM   #15
mpeever
mpeever began at the beginning.

Device: none
I am new here and just happened to see this thread, so thought I would answer.

I am a huge fan of the Sword of Truth books, though by the end there was a lot of preaching in it - the stories still read well.
The first book, Wizards First Rule is one of the best Fantasy books I have ever read.

As for the TV show - if you want true to the books - then you won't get it here.
For a stand alone "B" tv show it is ok - the first season just completed (I think)
22 or 23 episodes or something like that

Mike
mpeever is offline   Reply With Quote