Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-09-2009, 01:26 PM   #1
pghmark
TANSTAAFL
pghmark began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505(favorite), Blackjack, IPod Touch
illicit ebook store (???)

I was looking to see about getting an EBook version of a technical reference (Microsoft Log Parser Toolkit, if you're interested) and came across this online store.

Other locations like Amazon.com want $25 - $30 for the book, this location is selling it for $3 (PDF). You have to purchase a total of $10 worth of books (most are $1, or $3) to complete a purchase.

I'm not interested in pirated ebooks or having my credit card abused after a purchase, and I'm basically paranoid...anyone have experience with the seller?
pghmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:28 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
It's almost certainly a pirate site.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The IIPA (International Intellectual Property Alliance) says:
Quote:
"Publishers report continuing problems with Internet piracy affecting academic and professional textbooks and reference books. In particular, a family of sites – including [site], [site] and ebooknetstore – continues to decimate the market for academic and professional materials. ... Takedown notices have gone unheeded (notable non-compliant ISPs include: relcom.ru, agava.ru and delfan.net). IIPA urges immediate action against the operators of illegal sites, in particular, these mentioned sites."
(I had to adjust the wording a little bit so as to not create a link to any of the pirated sites...)

Last edited by queentess; 06-09-2009 at 02:31 PM.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:47 PM   #4
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
sorry can't figger how to delete this message so just ignore!

Last edited by Neil; 06-09-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:49 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Um, I thought that this Forum was not moderated? The first message in the thread says that ther is a link in the message to a questionable site. But the link has been removed. I absolutely agree that if the link was there and it led to a pirate site it should have been removed. But who removed it? I just feel (based on some years in the business of Forums) that if people are given moderation powers the members should know who has those powers?
The mod team can easily be identified by their names in green colour next to each of their posts. Nate the great is a mod ; so am I.

What gave you the impression this forum was not moderated ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2009, 09:39 PM   #6
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
sorry Zelda. For some reason thought I was on the Amazon forums then saw where I was and deleted the messsage (OK deleted the content as I could not figure how to erase the whole message). It was up for maybe 90 seconds, sorry it garnered a reply!!!
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:13 AM   #7
pghmark
TANSTAAFL
pghmark began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505(favorite), Blackjack, IPod Touch
Thanks for the replies...that is what I thought, but didn't want to pass up a site with good pricing if it was legit...placed my order with a legit seller.
pghmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:16 AM   #8
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Not sure why anyone would pay $3 for a pirated ebook when they could get the same pirated ebook just as easily for free.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:34 PM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
sorry Zelda. For some reason thought I was on the Amazon forums then saw where I was and deleted the messsage (OK deleted the content as I could not figure how to erase the whole message). It was up for maybe 90 seconds, sorry it garnered a reply!!!
ha, that exlains it. no worries.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebooknetstore