Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-01-2012, 07:55 AM   #1
ashan
Connoisseur
ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: could be Kobo Glo or KPW
Deciding went from KT to T1 now T2?

Hello mobile readers!
I am new to this forum and I would like to start reading on an ereader. The main reason is that English is not my first language and living in UK since last year I try to learn more than just the common range of words.

I started considering Kindle 4 vs. Kindle touch, a big thumbs up for kindle touch that suited my needs, because I like the embed dictionary and I would use it quite a lot so the 5 point navigation keypad was a no for me. Add to that the audio and text to speech (for the words that I don't know how they sound, though I know it doesn't play a particular word).

So the decision was made and I started to save amazon gift cards in my account. That is quite easy, reached 78£ and then googling around I found out that a lot of people complained about the life span of kindle touch and the fact that they brake easily, the warranty is 1 year, but a good side is that the extra warranty is cheap ~20£. For me 109£ are still a good amount of money and I don't want to spend that for a year of reading or 3 as much amazon says that the lifespan is.

So I considered other ereaders and found Sony T1 on internet, viewed a lot of reviews and really liked the looks of the gadget.
First thing that put me off was the lack of text to speech, but then I began to really ask myself if a digitalized voice could help me that much...So thought I could just mark the new word and use my smartphone or computer then or later to sound the word.
Funny right? The T2 has grown on me and any lack of specs or bad points I would just start to cut them of the table.
Also the refresh rate was a bit of a downer but had considered that I never used it and I could get used to it.
Then the coolours; Oh my, this was a choice between black and white, both looked fab but somehow I liked the white one most, looked like a book.

Checked prices, obviously on Amazon Uk, and found the white one for 119£ and the black one for 140£.
That's more than the kindle touch but I would had paid it without regrets.
Then I found out that Amazon has a press conference on 6th of September and I might see a new Kindle, but the problem is, when will it be available in UK? the Kindle touch was released in UK, from what I heard, 6 months after the US launch. Everything here in UK comes later than in US and dearer.

The story goes on of course with Sony, having found out that the T2 has been launched. Hmm, 119£ on Sony UK very good price, but wait, I don't have cash...I redeemed my earned points in amazon gift cards and now they are in my balance. So looked on amazon UK, of course there is no sign of T2.
I think I want the T2 more, because of the refresh rate and whiter page. I don't think the design is better, maybe a bit improved, and still had a "hard" time considering black or white, but still like the white better even if it is glossy, though in the shiny Scotland that won't make any difference
Oh also, no audio support? I have a smartphone for music and audio books, and the text to speech part I already cut it off from the T1 dilemma.

So here I am, bragging on this forum about my thoughts and decisions.
Last night did again a search on amazon and found out listings for the SOny prs T2, a bit odd, (Misc September and Not available, the title was in german and the listing was bu Sony)Sony Reader (PRS-T2/HWC). Pottermore Edition. Weiß: Leichter E-Book Reader mit IR Touchscreen, W-LAN, integrierten E-Books [German] [Misc.]
Anyone from UK can please tell me how soon was T1 available on Amazon Uk and at what price? Does Sony Europe Ltd have an amazon seller profile?
I also thought of buying the Kindle Touch of Amazon and selling it unopened, do you know how much I would take for it? That way I could order the T2 from sony, and use Topcashback 6.6% making it 111.5£.

And to finish with a constructive information reviews started to show up on outube

Unboxing T2 White - English
IFA Berlin German
ashan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
ashan
Connoisseur
ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And the follow up T2 Good news, the bezel is not that glossy.
Advert
Old 09-02-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Only third-party sellers will sell the Sony PRS-T2 on Amazon, and your Amazon gift voucher balance can only be used on products stocked by Amazon themselves, not for items from third-party sellers.

It's been said the T2 will be released this coming week, but the Sony site still just states pre-order and doesn't give a specific date.

Look on ebay for the price you are likely to get for a new Kindle Touch, expect to make a small loss of maybe £10-20 though, and you are never guaranteed anything selling it on ebay (unless you set a reserve price).

Although the Amazon press conference is due next week, it may well be October or November before they start selling a new Kindle, and it may well be available in the UK at the same time (AFAIK it's only been the Kindle Touch that was delayed in the UK, the Kindle 3 and Kindle NT were both available around the same time in both the US and UK). Either way, it's probably worth waiting to hear exactly what is announced at the press conference in a few days time before making up your mind.

On a final note, all e-readers are to a certain extent quite fragile. It's the screen that often breaks causing people to complain about the lifespan, and both the PRS-T1/T2, and Kindle Touch are about as fragile as each other. Whichever one you buy, choose a case for it if you take it out with you, and don't carry it in a bag along with anything hard that may break the screen.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Look on ebay for the price you are likely to get for a new Kindle Touch, expect to make a small loss of maybe £10-20 though, and you are never guaranteed anything selling it on ebay (unless you set a reserve price).

Clearly you haven't been on eBay for a while and have obviously never sold anything there.

eBay offers Buy Now prices. No auction and no need to spend money on a reserve. You list the item with a Fixed Price of your choosing and wait for someone to buy it. People don't often put items up for auction anymore because there are so few bidders. If the seller wants to put it up for auction to have a set end date as opposed to a Buy Now where who knows if or when the item will sell, then make the starting bid at the minimum you're willing to accept if you only get that one bid. That's the safest way to go.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry I automatically think of auctions for ebay, I don't personally use buy it now very often because I don't use ebay as a shop but as an auction site, I'm a buyer not a seller .

Buy it now is an option too then, I'd still expect to make a small loss, because after all, who'd pay full price for a Kindle Touch when you can buy it direct from Amazon (or at times £10 less from Tesco Direct).
Advert
Old 09-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashan View Post
So here I am, bragging on this forum about my thoughts and decisions.
I would urge a delay until after the amazon announcement. Then you'll know what your options are.

WHile any ebook reader with a glass screen is going to be fragile, I haven't noticed Kindle's being worse than any others in that respect. I have found Amazon's Kindle customer service to be excellent.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Buy it now is an option too then, I'd still expect to make a small loss, because after all, who'd pay full price for a Kindle Touch when you can buy it direct from Amazon (or at times £10 less from Tesco Direct).
No worries.

True enough! I was thinking you meant a loss from not getting the price you wanted in an auction. lol But the thing to think about when considering to sell is just because you have easy access to item ABC doesn't mean the guy on the other side of the world does. He/she may be willing to pay a premium for it.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
ashan
Connoisseur

Thanks guys, I know I did wrote too much but happy that you got the point.
To l_macd: Thanks for you advice and answer! I have to say that yes, you can buy from amazon sellers even if they are not fullfiled by amazon. I just checked now and the T1 (white) dropped in price to 99£ with only 4 in stock from a seller (obv. it would be blasphemy for Amazon to sell it). For a minute I was interested...than got back, I have to wait, wait an see. Let's see what amazon will bring on the 6th. That is good news if they could stock up at the same time with the US, but I expect it to be a 150£ mark and if it is about light, then I am not looking for light. A book doesn't have a light, I remember when I was small and red till the sunset and being captivated by the book I was forgeting to turn on the light. I think T2 really is a step up from T1 and I want one (white) but I will wait. Maybe at the end I will do that ebay thing but I take it will be a significant loss. Will wait and see. Meanwhile can you please tell me what this is ? I tried posting a link in my post but it did not work
linky and linky
Old 09-05-2012, 02:07 AM   #9
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Only third-party sellers will sell the Sony PRS-T2 on Amazon, and your Amazon gift voucher balance can only be used on products stocked by Amazon themselves, not for items from third-party sellers.
Clearly you've not bough much from Amazon using gift vouchers - I have used vouchers to pay for items supplied by third party sellers. The payment options are the same for both Amazon items and Marketplace items.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:43 AM   #10
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre

My mistake then, or should I say my bad memory! My most recent Amazon gift voucher was a £5 freebie from trading in games, it was it that could only be used for items supplied directly by Amazon. Doh!

Not sure about those links ashan, perhaps in readiness for some stock of the PRS-T2? Now that it's available on the Sony website (shows as in stock and available now), it should start appearing elsewhere fairly soon.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:44 AM   #11
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o v2, kobo Aura, sony prs t1
and now kobo has announced new readers as well

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/06/k...mini-kobo-arc/
thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:24 AM   #12
ashan
Connoisseur

Decisions decisions, never ending. So the new Kindle is nice, Like the colour and design, also no speakers like T2 but better resolution and light. Of course it's not available in UK, maybe in 6-10 months? Why do they take the piss?
Old 09-07-2012, 06:24 AM   #13
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o v2, kobo Aura, sony prs t1
it is irritatting that we are meant to settle for inferior versions of kindles. I have just seen that the kobo glo is up for preorder at £99(wh smiths). this price will surely come down before christmas so i might make that my next reader.
thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote