Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-27-2009, 11:40 PM   #16
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
I wasn't saying that the MS tags should be used specifically. However, since MS based their tags on TEI, I was wondering if IDPF couldn't do the same? If not TEI, then some other existing standard. Since epub is already based on existing standards, this would make more sense than starting from scratch for dictionary support.
A question occurred to me today that needs to be asked before going further. Given that TEI tags existed long before the Epub spec was finalized, why wasn't it included as a related standard? At the very least, why wasn't a subset of tags included in a manner similar to the preferred HTML vocabulary?

I wonder if there was a good reason for not using an existing standard. We may find out.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:23 AM   #17
Peter Sorotokin
speaking for myself
Peter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it is

Device: PRS-505
I do not think XDXF would work well because it is a single file. Russian-English dictionary is 100 meg XML file: loading that in handheld memory would be challenging. So, at a minimum, single XML needs to be broken into pieces. Also, it is not an issue how to represent the content: it can be done either by CSS-styled XDXF snippets or CSS-styled XHTML with classes. This part is OK, no changes to the standard are required. The issue is how to build an index that can quickly guide reading system to the appropriate part of the content. Note that a single index file won't cut it - it will likely be too large. Some sort of hierarchical structure broken between several files is needed. That, I think, is an extension to EPUB that needs to be defined (or borrowed).
Peter Sorotokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2009, 01:09 AM   #18
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Yes, the indexing system would be the most important part. I don't know how MS does their indexing, as it is internal to their Reader software. I do know that however they do it, it is very fast.

It is a shame that MS chose not to participate in IDPF. I think they could have made some useful contributions. But collaboration has never been something they were interested in.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:43 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What is the formal procedure for proposing an extension to the ePub standard? What is the likelyhood that an extension proposed by a "member of the public", as opposed to one of the companies who are on the standard committee, will actually get adopted?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:58 PM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You don't really need a modification to the EPUb standard, the following should do the trick:

Split up the html containing the definitions into sub files each sub file containing only definitions for words starting with a specific set of two letters. There will be 26*26 = 676 such files. In the ncx just add navpoints for each file with a text being the two letters that the file has the words for. Then in the OPF file just add an entry indicating the EPUB is a dictionary. Now the reader software when asked for the definition of a word has to do the following:

parse 576 entries in the NCX file to find the correct html file. Parse the HTML file to find the word.

If two letters results in too large HTML files, use three letters instead.

The HTML files should be designed with minimal in file markup to speed up processing.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2009, 01:21 PM   #21
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I snipped some posts and moved them over here. I had incorrect information, and took the discussion down the wrong path.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:25 PM   #22
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nice idea, but we still need whatever method is used to be included in the standard, so we have interoperability. Also, a set of tags specifically for dictionary markup is needed.

Whatever tags are used and whatever indexing/lookup method is chosen probably doesn't matter too much. We just need IDPF to do something, so that reader software wil have a standard to follow.

Hey IDPF--how about letting us know if anything is being done about this.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:57 AM   #23
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
One thing that many dictionary formats miss is that one entry can be indexed by many headwords. This is quite important for languages like Japanese. For example, meguirau, 巡り会う, めぐり会う and めぐりあう are all different spellings of the same word and all should match the entry.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:24 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What is the formal procedure for proposing an extension to the ePub standard? What is the likelyhood that an extension proposed by a "member of the public", as opposed to one of the companies who are on the standard committee, will actually get adopted?
Can anybody answer these question, please? Nate?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:36 AM   #25
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I don't know, but there is a forum at https://www.idpf.org/forums/ ...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 05:38 PM   #26
jgray
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I don't know, but there is a forum at https://www.idpf.org/forums/ ...
Did you notice the last time a post was made on those forums? Also, the number of questions that were never answered? Without someone at IDPF contributing a lot more to those forums, they are dead.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:31 PM   #27
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't know, twice. I sent an email to Michael Smith, the IDPF executive director. I have not received a response.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:35 PM   #28
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Hadrien is a member of idpf ; it's possible he could help or at least give some answer. also, garth conboy of eti is very involved and also very friendly ; you might want to contact him.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:15 PM   #29
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
Nice idea, but we still need whatever method is used to be included in the standard, so we have interoperability. Also, a set of tags specifically for dictionary markup is needed.
Yes and no. Do you really think anyone will want to write code that actually makes use of all the XDXF tags? I'm not so sure. Remember, the tags aren't absolutely necessary simply to have the information. If you want the information, you can use XHTML and simply add it as text.

I do think XDXF should be considered as an extension to Epub-after it achieves 1.0 status.

If we adopt this position as part of the proposal, then the current set of tags won't need to duplicate all or even most of the abilities of XDXF. Instead, we can look at this project as a set reference tags, not dictionary tags.

BTW, the set of tags I show here are enough to provide dictionary lookup similar to Mobipocket.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:05 PM   #30
jgray
Fanatic

I didn't say that the tags had to be XDXF. I don't really care how they are done. XHTML is fine. The point I was making was that some set of tags to markup dictionaries is needed and it needs to be standardized (by IDPF) so that the reader software can support it.