Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-28-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
B.Sterzenbach
B.Sterzenbach began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
e-book reader with dictionary and phonetic transcription

Hi all,
i am new to this Forum and considering to buy an ebook reader. Because of great battery capacity it should have E-ink paper technology.

Now I am reading with an Asus EEE Netbook. I want to improve my English language and need therefore a build-in dictionary. Because of pronounciation it should have phonetic transcription or voice output. This all after simple highlighting text in an English book.

In my Asus EEE I could load a "Langenscheidt e-Handwörterbuch English-German" and use a little program names "KeyTex" to start the translation.

But now I am looking for a reader which I can use in full sunlight. Any help appreciated.

Greetings from Germany
Bernie
B.Sterzenbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:44 AM   #2
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
You have the option of buying a Kindle, which has Text-to-Speech embedded and a dictionary, or you may like to wait for the new Pocketbook models which include the option for Text to Speech and will have a good amount of dictionaries available. Being that you're in Germany, you may appreciate the fact that Pocketbook has local support (that is, the device is sold from Germany).
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 09:49 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I agree that a Kindle, with its text to speech and dictionary, would be a good choice. The TTS doesn't always get it right, but it's generally pretty good.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
But Kindle isn't good at pronouncing only a single word at a time, and only that word - which sounds like what is needed here. I'm afraid I can't suggest any alternative though.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:44 PM   #5
Prash
Zealot
Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3W, LG OG-E970, Utopia Apad
Hmmm I'm looking for a similar device. Cant Kindle read a specified word?
Prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 01:08 AM   #6
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
The New American Oxford dictionary included with the Kindle 2 (and presumably the 2nd dictionary included with the K3) does have phonetic transcription for all its entries.

However, you can only see a word's pronunciation if you press the "more" arrow button when the dictionary pop-up appears, which might be somewhat inconvenient.

Also, welcome to MobileRead!
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:46 AM   #7
B.Sterzenbach
B.Sterzenbach began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
The New American Oxford dictionary included with the Kindle 2 (and presumably the 2nd dictionary included with the K3) does have phonetic transcription for all its entries.

However, you can only see a word's pronunciation if you press the "more" arrow button when the dictionary pop-up appears, which might be somewhat inconvenient.

Also, welcome to MobileRead!
Hi ATDrake,
thank you and the other posters for the quick response. Because phonetic transcription is enough for me, I will go for the Kindle 3.

Greetings
Bernie
B.Sterzenbach is offline   Reply With Quote