Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-10-2009, 02:12 PM   #1
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony prs505
Sony 505 and a few dumb questions

I have been researching ebook readers for a couple months now and I think I have decided on the Sony 505. I live in canada so the Kindle is not really an option. I only want to read fiction novels so I don't think the advantages of the touch screen on the 700 is enough to compensate for the poorer quality screen (based on the reviews I have read). There are none available in my area so I can't physically check out the readers I have to decide based on customer reviews. Anyway my questions are regarding the ebook formats. I haven't purchased any ebooks yet but I did
check out several ebook sites (including Sony) and I can't seem to figure out what format they are in, how do you determine what format they are in and do you get a choice of formats for downloading? Also I have read alot about pdf files and possible issues with them .. are novels printed in this format or is it usually just things like text books ?
artemisblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:47 PM   #2
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Hi artemisblossom and welcome to MobileRead!

There are so many different formats it gets very confusing!

The 505 can read epub (Waterstones and Fictionwise), LRF/LRX (Sony's ebook store, also known as BBeB), Adobe PDF (also called ADE or Adobe Digital Editions).

My preference is to buy books in epub if available. I would go for LRF second and Adobe PDF (ADE) third. For novels the PDF is okay. You will find that ebook libraries generally offer only the PDFs. And yes novels are offered in PDF.

I love my 505 and can't imagine reading books without it. There are a number of Canadian members around here and you should find some useful advice about ebook devices in Canada.

Check the wiki for more information on formats:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRS5...ported_Formats
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I can't really add anything to the above post, but if you're reading popular fiction, you can't go wrong with the Sony 505. I love mine
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:06 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi artemisblossom and welcome to MobileRead. I've had a 505 for over a year now and like it a lot. Agree with your thoughts about the 700.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:14 AM   #5
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks for answering everyone, I purchased a couple of ebooks from the sony store tonight. I was amazed at how fast they downloaded to my computer. I ws checking for a good place to order the 505 from tonight and the best deal I found was from B&H Photo so i will be ordering one in the next couple of weeks. I can't wait to get it !
Advert
Old 05-11-2009, 01:32 AM   #6
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Congrats! I'm sure you will enjoy it!

By the way, while you are waiting, check out the free books here at MobileRead. Click on 'ebooks' in the blue bar at the top of the page. Happy reading!
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:35 AM   #7
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemisblossom View Post
Thanks for answering everyone, I purchased a couple of ebooks from the sony store tonight. I was amazed at how fast they downloaded to my computer. I ws checking for a good place to order the 505 from tonight and the best deal I found was from B&H Photo so i will be ordering one in the next couple of weeks. I can't wait to get it !
Got a better deal for you here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...hlight=shoprbc
279 CDN$. Don't know what they charge for shipping but if you order from BH you might also have to pay duty and/or broker fees for getting it through customs. And with the current exchange rate B&H (249.95US$)is close to 289 CDN$.

Edit: And I just noticed you're located in the same province as the store.

Last edited by frozennorth; 05-11-2009 at 02:41 AM.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:06 PM   #8
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: None
What I did was had a Sony Style store rep "pricematch" the price from ShopRBC.com.

It took a few tries and a few different stores, but eventually a dude called David Murphy in the Square One mall store dropped it down to 299+Tax. Which was cheaper than ShopRBC's shipped price.

Also if you buy directly from a Sony Store, shipping to their repair facility is free in case of a defect or damage.
rahulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:47 AM   #9
artemisblossom
Groupie

thanks for the tip I will check them out
Old 05-15-2009, 10:58 PM   #10
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Enjoy your new reader!! I'm not sure if you've already ordered one but I found mine on amazon.com, ironically, for $269 I believe.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote