Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-20-2009, 08:05 AM   #46
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I've discovered a slight problem. The new xournal port works very well at updating the screenas you write, for the first page. However, when you choos another page, for some reason, the display is no linger updated as you write. You have to force a screen refresh (as was originally the case). This only appears to happen when you "turn a page".

Summary, Page 1 okay, stylus and display update together, 2nd and subsequen pages, no screen update until you force it.

regards Howard
pthwaite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:03 PM   #47
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimulkan View Post

BTW, if you can get a Xournal build for your OS on the PC, you can open the files there and convert to PDF - no need to struggle with the scribble merger application and you have line style options, text annotations and color
My understanding is that Xournal is unique to Linux. There are no Windows or Mac ports. I have also looked in vain for other programs that could read or import .xoj files.
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2009, 09:23 AM   #48
est_jor
Enthusiast
est_jor began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000s
Sorry ,
But I really did not understand what function this Xournal do.
est_jor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:28 AM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xournal
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:02 AM   #50
dusadrian
dusadrian began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
HOWEVER: The DR hangs completely after some time (it is not reacting to keys or stylus) and a reset is needed to get the device working again. I got it working only for less then an hour so I am not sure what triggers the hang-up of the device. I will integrate the code with xournal and post it here so more people can experiment with it.
This is not due (only) to the Xournal software, I have just experienced a complete hang of my DR during the annotation of a simple PDF. It may be that installing Xournal has a side-effect, however this also happens in other situations outside Xournal.

I hope this is a useful finding,
Adrian
dusadrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2009, 07:37 AM   #51
ec3008
ec3008 began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR1000S
Someone can tell me if Xournal works fine with the new firmware (1.6) ?

thanks

Enrico
ec3008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:47 PM   #52
bazmi
Enthusiast
bazmi began at the beginning.

Device: irex dr 1000s, sony prs 700, 505, iliad BE. N800, SL6000, SL3200...
yes, for me it works. the problem is that the screen refresh is every 2 seconds or so but it is not 1.6 firmware issue.

/bazmi.
bazmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:44 AM   #53
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 1000s
I want to know how Xournal supports annotating PDF files? Thanks
yingwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:20 PM   #54
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
yingwu,
It doesn't in the DR version. Not all the functionality is supported. I think that was mentioned in the beginning.

It would be nice to have a save as pdf supported as there is no Xournal port for MAC's so I have to leave things in the native format at present which is a bit frustrating at times.

Howard
pthwaite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:07 PM   #55
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
I am looking into porting the missing libraries for pdf-printing, but get the following problem:

arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-gcc -shared .libs/gnome-print.o .libs/gnome-print-stdapi.o .libs/gnome-print-config.o .libs/gnome-print-filter.o .libs/gnome-print-meta.o .libs/gnome-print-job.o .libs/gnome-print-ps2.o .libs/gnome-print-pdf.o .libs/gnome-print-pdf-t1.o .libs/gnome-print-pdf-tt.o .libs/gnome-print-pango.o .libs/gnome-print-rbuf.o .libs/gnome-print-rgbp.o .libs/gnome-print-transport.o .libs/gnome-print-i18n.o .libs/gp-path.o .libs/gp-gc.o .libs/gnome-glyphlist.o .libs/gnome-pgl.o .libs/gnome-print-encode.o .libs/libgnomeprint-enum-types.o .libs/gnome-print-unit.o .libs/gnome-print-paper.o .libs/gnome-fontmap.o .libs/gnome-font.o .libs/gnome-font-face.o .libs/gnome-rfont.o .libs/gnome-font-family.o .libs/art_rgba_rgba_affine.o .libs/art_rgba_svp.o .libs/lex._gnome_print_filter_parse_yy.o .libs/grammar.tab.o -Wl,--whole-archive gpa/.libs/libgpa.a ttsubset/.libs/libttsubset.a -Wl,--no-whole-archive -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/poky/eabi-glibc/arm/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib/ -lm /usr/lib/libart_lgpl_2.so /usr/local/poky/eabi-glibc/arm/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib//libpangoft2-1.0.so /usr/local/poky/eabi-glibc/arm/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib//libpango-1.0.so -L/usr/local/poky/eabi-glibc/arm/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib/.libs /usr/local/poky/eabi-glibc/arm/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib//libgobject-2.0.so /usr/local/poky/eabi-glibc/arm/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib//libgmodule-2.0.so -ldl /usr/local/poky/eabi-glibc/arm/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib//libglib-2.0.so /usr/local/poky/eabi-glibc/arm/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib//libxml2.so /usr/local/poky/eabi-glibc/arm/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib//libfontconfig.so -L/usr/local/poky/eabi-glibc/arm/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib /usr/local/poky/eabi-glibc/arm/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib//libfreetype.so /usr/local/poky/eabi-glibc/arm/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib//libz.so -Wl,--export-dynamic -Wl,-soname -Wl,libgnomeprint-2-2.so.0 -o .libs/libgnomeprint-2-2.so.0.1.0

/usr/lib/libart_lgpl_2.so: could not read symbols: File in wrong format
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

For some reason it tries to look for libart_lgpl_2.so in /usr/lib i.s.o. in to poky/.../usr/lib/ . It seems that something is not correctly installed in my environment. Xournal also needs libart and builds fine. Is there any trick I should know related to libtool?
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:43 PM   #56
auroux
auroux began at the beginning.

Device: none
print to pdf shouldn't be that hard

Print to PDF shouldn't be that hard to port to iRex, if you're willing to discard TrueType text objects in the annotations. Xournal does most of its PDF export completely by hand without using any libraries -- the only exception is extracting subfonts from the TrueType system fonts for inclusion into the exported PDF, and that's presumably not a useful feature on iRex.

The bad news is that the two different printing systems (via libgnomeprint for printing to printers, and "by hand" for exporting PDF) share the same source code file, so you'll have to remove the bad parts by hand. In xo-print.c, you'll want to keep the function print_to_pdf() and everything it calls, but discard all the code for printing via libgnomeprint. In the 0.4.2.1 source code, you roughly want to keep lines 1-1400 of xo-print.c and discard everything after that. You'll still have some trouble with the functions new_pdffont() and embed_pdffont() -- one option is to also compile in sft.c from the source code of libgnomeprint. The more brutal option is to remove these two functions, and also remove what's inside
else if (item->type == ITEM_TEXT) {...}
(lines 1072 to end of pdf_draw_page()). (This will exclude text items from being exported, but will simplify your life). The Right Way is somewhere in between, but I'd certainly understand if you're not willing to look too closely at that portion of the code.

Contact me at (myusername)@math.mit.edu if you need more info / advice about how the code works. I don't have much time to spare and have no idea how iRex works so I won't get involved in details, but I'm always happy to clarify questions about the code.

Denis.
auroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:49 PM   #57
auroux
auroux began at the beginning.

Device: none
You can also look at the source code of 0.3.3 for how PDF export used to work before I added in support for text annotations. If you diff xo-print.c from 0.3.3 to 0.4.2.1, it splits pretty neatly between fairly small (but sometimes important) bugfixes/updates, which you should keep, and text object support, which you may want to discard if it's too hard to compile in. Once again you'll want to get rid of all the stuff about libgnomeprint printing and keep only the PDF printing.

Denis
auroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:56 PM   #58
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
Being able to save scribbles to a PDF file would be a most welcome function.

td
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:25 AM   #59
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

@ auroux:
Thanks for the info, I did not look into the code that well, but your suggestions will be very helpfull in getting pdf-printing working.
At this moment some 'external conditions' (=sun+beer) keep me away from my computer, so I do not know when I have time to look at it.
Thanks again for the info/advice that you are willing to give. (I might need it.)

Last edited by Mackx; 07-16-2009 at 01:56 AM. Reason: correct mis-spelled name
Old 07-15-2009, 03:38 PM   #60
Mackx
Guru

I tried the 'easy' way, it has pdf-export support, but no font support.
The instructions from auroux were very accurate so it compiled and worked very quickly.

But like I said, it does not support text!

Select File-> Export to PDF, the very anoying file selector dialog will start.

That's it.

I reverted back for the refresh to the 'text-label-refresh' which will give a delay of about 2 seconds. Grimulkan did not yet publish his last code, and this 'version' of refresh seems the safest to me.

The zip-file is an 'update', so if you did not install xournal on your DR (or updated to v1.6 which removed the installed version ...!) go the the first mail in this thread and follow the instructions the install that version. After that install this version (after unzipping the zip-file to the root of your SD-card you will have an Install-directory in the Programs-directory. Open it and click on InstallXournalPdfV1 and the new version will overwrite the old one.)

I hope to make improvements when needed, please let me know.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Programs_PdfV1.zip (368.6 KB, 315 views)