Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-24-2009, 11:54 AM   #1
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
Turn your Reader into a Leather Bound Book

I love leather-bound books of old. The only thing I "miss" about using my reader is giving up the feel of a solid hand-crafted leather bound book -- complete with the smell and feel of heavy-tooled leather.

So I was particularly interested to see the following custom cover being sold on eBay last night. This is for the Kindle but I contacted the seller and s/he thinks he could make one very easily for the Sony as well.

I am in no way affiliated with this seller nor have I purchased anything from him. But figuring there are those out there who may also be interested in the "full-book" experience from their eBook reader (not to mention a beautiful case that really protects your eBook reader from being crushed etc), I thought I would make you guys aware of this as well. Hope this doesn't seem like spamming.

Cheers...

Last edited by purl4peace; 01-24-2009 at 11:58 AM.
purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:58 AM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
The picture doesn't work
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2009, 12:02 PM   #3
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Sorry about the picture not showing up... heres the URL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
The picture doesn't work
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3DI%26otn%3D1
Old 01-24-2009, 12:04 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Oh I think this guy posted his idea on MobileRead actually.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:21 PM   #5
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests

Leather Bound book cover

Ah, sorry for the duplicate, then.
Advert
Old 01-24-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by purl4peace View Post
Don't worry about it. It was a nice thought.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:33 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by purl4peace View Post
It happens I'm suprised he's charging that much.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests

I saw the other thread

I saw the other thread. Certainly looks like the same design. If you are "crafty", you could even one for yourself -- which I think I'll probably try.

Based on his instructions, I would think it would be fairly easy to modify it to accommodate the Sony PRS-505. Basically, if you have the original cover that the reader came with, cut off the plastic strip/bracket. Then, glue the plastic strip/bracket to the inside cover of the leather book before the step where you are gluing in the marble paper lining. This would allow the reader to move freely back and forth in the cover just as it does with the stock covers. That would give you access to the top and bottom edge of the reader for syncing, turning on the power and inserting memory cards etc.

For relative newbies like myself and anyone that doesn't feel like "archive diving", here's the information from the earlier threads:

A review by a fellow mobilread member:

http://www.trendoriginal.com/2008/06...dle-book-case/

Detailed instructions on how to make your own:

http://imageevent.com/artsci/kindle

The earlier thread where this cover was originally discussed:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...her+Book+Cover

Cheers...
Old 01-24-2009, 02:38 PM   #9
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
ohhhh nice! I saw another Ebay vendor who sews soft covers for passports and PRS-505. Think I stop in at the fabric store and pick up some cool material and try my hand at a slip on cover. A fun wintertime project.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book cover