Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What kind of mobile reading are YOU doing?
Daily "news" sites 14 87.50%
Weather reports or maps 4 25.00%
Blogs and diaries from friends online 2 12.50%
Technology journals 4 25.00%
Technical HOWTO style documents 2 12.50%
E-books and other non-fiction or fiction material 8 50.00%
Sites or e-books with technical/research material 5 31.25%
General websites 7 43.75%
Other 2 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-22-2005, 08:32 PM   #1
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
What kinds of mobile sites interest you most?

In doing some research on mobile reading trends (ebook as well as news and static websites available for mobile devices), I've been noticing a few "camps" of devout readers.

I'm curious to see what kinds of mobile reading most readers are doing these days... so here's my poll to answer exactly that.
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 05:47 AM   #2
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
My mobile reading has been pretty much the same for a long time. I dump eight mobile sites in every day, including Christian Science Monitor, NY Times, Guardian, Wired, and the Nation. I also read ebooks pretty regularly, and these vary from fiction to non-fiction, to (less frequently) technical. And finally I grab any article that's too long to read in 2-3 minutes to read at my leisure later.
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2005, 06:44 AM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Very similar for me... but I have a lot more content around than I bother to read.

Daily clippings (iSiloX) with weather, personalized stock news, dailiy devotions, newspapers, humor, local movies and times, political blogs, and sports. 18 of them, but I don't read them all every day. Just there when I want them.

I also tend to clip articles, for me anything that takes more than 30 secs to read goes on my PDA for later, unless it looks like it might not clip well. Usually ones that don't clip well are when it's hard to determine links wanted ahead of time, or hard to select just the stuff I want. I don't clip my favorite tech blogs for that very reason... I don't want to clip all the links to multiple levels, but I usually follow links on interesting articles, so that works best for me on the desktop.

Ebooks... Some bought, some public domain. Would read some pdf stuff, but it's a pain and the reader takes space on my PDA so I don't bother with pdf. I use iSilo or eReader depending on the format, but eReader is my favorite for book reading. Usually novels and best sellers are what I buy, but classics might be fiction or non-fiction usually off of Project Gutenberg. I want to read more from Harvard Classics and from historical documents or some of the good Creative Commons licensed stuff also.

But my book reading has slipped as I've taken more of my time chunks (e.g. at lunch or waiting for something, or just trying to unwind) to watch movies on my PDA. Love both popular stuff and the old public domain black and white movies. I enjoy the relaxed and polite way people act in those old movies, versus the hectic brash manner in most current movies. And I like the old movie music better than that loud stuff in a lot of new movies. And my final dislike about a lot of new movies (and TV shows) is that stupid LA Law camera technique that keeps the camera moving as if someone drunk was holding it. Supposed to make you feel involved in the action I guess, but I hate it.

I don't really generally read RSS feeds too much anymore because it just seems like they're a pain. You only get part of the content, it takes a separate reader, and I don't feel like I get all the content that was on the web site.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote