Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-21-2024, 11:54 AM   #1
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
RIP, Vernor Vinge

I know there are a few fans here who would like to know. I've not read anything of his yet but do have him on my TBR list.

https://boingboing.net/2024/03/21/ha...ead-at-79.html
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 02:40 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I've read and enjoyed many of Vernor Vinge's books over the years. The first book of his that I remember reading was Grimm's World though True Names is still my favourite of his books.

He will be missed!
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2024, 08:35 PM   #3
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Sorry to hear this. I've read some of his early stuff, but not nearly enough.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 12:18 AM   #4
Ashartus
Enthusiast
Ashartus put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Ashartus put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Ashartus put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Ashartus put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Ashartus put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Ashartus put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Ashartus put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Ashartus put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Ashartus put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Ashartus put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Ashartus put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: Kobo Aura
I'd heard a while back he had retired due to health issues. He didn't write a lot of novels but most of what he did write was great. I would consider A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky two of the all-time great science fiction novels.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 05:53 AM   #5
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
I'd heard a while back he had retired due to health issues. He didn't write a lot of novels but most of what he did write was great. I would consider A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky two of the all-time great science fiction novels.
I have to agree. I read them and loved them. He was a very good writer.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2024, 09:21 AM   #6
jviscosi
Connoisseur
jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Focus, Nook Glowlight 4/4+, Inkbook Obsidian, Kindle Keyboard
I was sad to hear about this. I read A Fire Upon the Deep years ago and thought it was amazing, but I never got around to A Deepness in the Sky. I ought to rectify that.
jviscosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 02:03 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
https://www.theregister.com/2024/03/...uary/?td=rt-3a
Quote:
Vinge is credited as the first author to describe an immersive cyberspace, which he outlined in his 1979 novella True Names – five years before William Gibson's Neuromancer brought the idea to the mainstream.
However he probably wasn't first.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 11:13 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I thought it was John Brunner's The Shockwave Rider (1975). But I haven't yet read the book and may be mixed up.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 07:06 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I thought it was John Brunner's The Shockwave Rider (1975). But I haven't yet read the book and may be mixed up.
It's certainly got a version of the internet, computer hacking, fake identities via computer and computer viruses, called tapeworms. Computers did once use punched tape as much as 8" floppies.
Though the IBM-PC didn't exist till 1980/1981, personal computing using 8080 and CP/M dated from 1974-1975. A windows based GUI in Xerox in 1976. Arpanet, which became the Internet long before websites existed, was implemented in 1970 and maybe have used TCP/IP by 1975. Website HTML designed in 1989 (hypertext was already nearly a decade old, and Kay's Dynabook and Project Xanadu described it in the 1960s).

I wrote my first SF short story on AI invented accidentally in 1972 or 1973 (which used a digital and Analogue computer interconnected on a spacecraft). Fortran was 1956 and BASIC was a a cut-down script version of Fortran in 1960s at Dartmouth College, ported by Bill Gates and a friend from the mainframe to 8080, and founded MS success on selling Basic. Beginners all purpose instruction code. Basic and the IBM PC really held back computing.

Fed by unrealistic 1950s & 1960s SF I started learing programming after school in 1969 with goal of adding that to becoming an Electronic Engineer, which I achieved, though my first real job in the mid 1970s was more RF engineering. But by 1981 I was a certified Microprocessor Consultant in the UK and by mid 1980s took a course on AI.

It was evident by 1990 that there would never be real AI, just better slightly more useful versions of 1960s Elisa and better pattern matching. See also ALICE and later Mikume chat bots.

So anyone writing SF in 1960s and 1970s with background of reading EE "Doc" Smith (1928) to Asimov, Heinlein, Clarke etc and decent knowledge of computers etc could have had various stories of AI, Internet, Cyberspace, Cyberpunk and VR. Books related to these themes:
1966: The Ansible is in various stories from this date. Ursula K. Le Guin. A sort of Interstellar Internet.
1974: Holodeck idea in Star Trek Animated Series.
1975 The Shockwave Rider, John Brunner. (Inspired by Toffler's "Future shock", 1970, which is mostly rubbish)
1984 Neuromancer
1992 Snowcrash, Neal Stephenson
1995 The Diamond Age: or A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer, Neal's refutation of AI claims.
1996 City of Golden Shadow, Tad Williiams. Good VR needs Tanks.
1998 Anvil by Nicolas Van Pallandt, or good VR needs wiring in, a one way trip.

See also Anne McCaffery's early Psychic series, Robert Sheckley, Clifford Simak, Harry Harrison, Jack L. Chalker and many others.

Proposals for Electronic TV were in 1905, though it took nearly 30 years to solve the camera issues.
First programmable electrical Computer was the Z1 by Konrad Zuse in 1939.
Telegraph was using keyboards by 1928 (typewriters, fax and telegraph are Victorian) and overlaying on the public switched by the 1930s, so the earliest kind of networked data. From late 1940s to mid 1970s computers often used the same terminal keyboard/printer as Telex.

The earliest "Cyber"/Internet story is probably E.M Forster's "The Machine Stops" (1909). It's on Gutenberg in this collection.

I've read most of the books / authors mentioned.

Certainly Vernor Vinge was ahead of the pack.

Last edited by Quoth; 03-26-2024 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-24-2024, 07:06 AM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I hadn't heard of Vernor Vinge, but he looks like he had a good heart. May he rest in peace.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 10:46 PM   #11
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I hate that I remember his name fondly from my youth, but can't think of a single book of his
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 11:04 AM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Rainbow's End and The Peace War. I've not read either yet, but those are the two on my list.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 11:15 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It's certainly got a version of the internet, computer hacking, fake identities via computer and computer viruses, called tapeworms. Computers did once use punched tape as much as 8" floppies.
Though the IBM-PC didn't exist till 1980/1981, personal computing using 8080 and CP/M dated from 1974-1975. A windows based GUI in Xerox in 1976. Arpanet, which became the Internet long before websites existed, was implemented in 1970 and maybe have used TCP/IP by 1975. Website HTML designed in 1989 (hypertext was already nearly a decade old, and Kay's Dynabook and Project Xanadu described it in the 1960s).

I wrote my first SF short story on AI invented accidentally in 1972 or 1973 (which used a digital and Analogue computer interconnected on a spacecraft). Fortran was 1956 and BASIC was a a cut-down script version of Fortran in 1960s at Dartmouth College, ported by Bill Gates and a friend from the mainframe to 8080, and founded MS success on selling Basic. Beginners all purpose instruction code. Basic and the IBM PC really held back computing.

Fed by unrealistic 1950s & 1960s SF I started learing programming after school in 1969 with goal of adding that to becoming an Electronic Engineer, which I achieved, though my first real job in the mid 1970s was more RF engineering. But by 1981 I was a certified Microprocessor Consultant in the UK and by mid 1980s took a course on AI.

It was evident by 1990 that there would never be real AI, just better slightly more useful versions of 1960s Elisa and better pattern matching. See also ALICE and later Mikume chat bots.

So anyone writing SF in 1960s and 1970s with background of reading EE "Doc" Smith (1928) to Asimov, Heinlein, Clarke etc and decent knowledge of computers etc could have had various stories of AI, Internet, Cyberspace, Cyberpunk and VR. Books related to these themes:
1966: The Ansible is in various stories from this date. Ursula K. Le Guin. A sort of Interstellar Internet.
1974: Holodeck idea in Star Trek Animated Series.
1975 The Shockwave Rider, John Brunner. Inspired by Toffler's "Future shock", 1970, which is mostly rubbish)
1984 Neuromancer
1992 Snowcrash, Neal Stephenson
1995 The Diamond Age: or A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer, Neal's refutation of AI claims.
1996 City of Golden Shadow, Tad Williiams. Good VR needs Tanks.
1998 Anvil by Nicolas Van Pallandt, or good VR needs wiring in, a one way trip.

See also Anne McCaffery's early Psychic series, Robert Sheckley, Clifford Simak, Harry Harrison, Jack L. Chalker and many others.

Proposals for Electronic TV were in 1905, though it took nearly 30 years to solve the camera issues.
First programmable electrical Computer was the Z1 by Konrad Zuse in 1939.
Telegraph was using keyboards by 1928 (typewriters, fax and telegraph are Victorian) and overlaying on the public switched by the 1930s, so the earliest kind of networked data. From late 1940s to mid 1970s computers often used the same terminal keyboard/printer as Telex.

The earliest "Cyber"/Internet story is probably E.M Forster's "The Machine Stops" (1909). It's on Gutenberg in this collection.

I've read most of the books / authors mentioned.

Certainly Vernor Vinge was ahead of the pack.

You're hired!

Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 02:43 PM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
You're hired!
Do to what?

Really I'd like help rather than more work!
Old 03-28-2024, 03:08 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For anyone who is interested, Reactor has A Brief Guide to the Fiction of Vernor Vinge which is a pretty decent article.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote