Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-17-2022, 02:43 PM   #1
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Unhappy RIP Eric Flint

His death has been announced on social media.
For example, here is a post from Robert J. Sawyer.

Without him, there would have been no Baen Free Library. Not to mention Ring of Fire anthologies. And Ring of Fire Press.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 03:04 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. I enjoyed his novels, and his many collaborations.

He was also solidly against DRM on ebooks, and appreciated that copyright was a two-sided bargain. An all-round good egg.

Last edited by pdurrant; 07-17-2022 at 03:07 PM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2022, 04:41 PM   #3
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I too will miss him. I always looked forward to his books and have reread many of them.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 06:58 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I've enjoyed many of his books from Mother of Demons on. He will be missed by many.

Quite a few tweets visible on the Baen website and this tweet on the Baen Books twitter.

There is also a GoFundMe to help support his wife with memorial expenses Eric Flint.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-17-2022 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Added GoFundMe link
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 07:21 AM   #5
teamug
I like buttons!
teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT (Graphite&2012), Kobo Libra 2, Moaan Mix7, InkPalm 5
I just started reading one of his books recently, first time I read one of his works, but it won't be the last. Sorry to see he passed away.
teamug is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2022, 09:49 PM   #6
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. I enjoyed his novels, and his many collaborations.

He was also solidly against DRM on ebooks, and appreciated that copyright was a two-sided bargain. An all-round good egg.

I enjoyed them too
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 07:30 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Dang!
I just checked my Library. I have quite a collection with him as an author
12 Paperbacks
77 E-books (Baen Bundles account for many as most of the Free Library ones are tallied under Paper, where I first read them)

A bunch more where he was the editor.

Do read his rant on DRM (The FAQ page at Baen is not working for me, so no link)
RIP Eric, we will toast you at the Bar
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 08:24 PM   #8
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
It'd in yrh free library.

Link to all his well essays in all formats:

https://www.baen.com/prime-palaver.html

His drm:

https://ericflint.net/salvos-against...-of-principle/

bernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Dang!
I just checked my Library. I have quite a collection with him as an author
12 Paperbacks
77 E-books (Baen Bundles account for many as most of the Free Library ones are tallied under Paper, where I first read them)

A bunch more where he was the editor.

Do read his rant on DRM (The FAQ page at Baen is not working for me, so no link)
RIP Eric, we will toast you at the Bar
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 08:33 AM   #9
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have most of his books even in paper. He was an author I would buy immediately when released.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 09:37 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
@gbm
Thanks for the links.
Baen was the first place I hit after getting my first e-reader (I had a 1/2 ton of their paperbacks already )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 09:57 PM   #11
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Unhappy

Very, very sad news. His Ring of Fire is one of my favorite series.

RIP
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:40 AM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
It'd in yrh free library.

Link to all his well essays in all formats:

https://www.baen.com/prime-palaver.html

His drm:

https://ericflint.net/salvos-against...-of-principle/

bernie
Thanks for the link. Go fund in my sig is not the same as Mr. Flint's. Just want to make sure people don't get confused.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 04:08 PM   #13
Croptop
Groupie
Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Pixel 8 Pro
Very sad news indeed.
Croptop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1632, baen, baen free library, eric flint