Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-23-2022, 04:43 PM   #1
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Older Kindles losing store access in August

I saw a report on Reddit of owners of older Kindle models being told by Amazon that their devices will no longer be able to access the store to purchase books as of August 17, 2022. Books can still be purchased in other ways and will be readable on these devices.

Despite having older devices registered to my Amazon account I have yet to receive this email myself.

Quote:
Thank you for continuing to use one of our earliest Kindle devices. While you can continue reading on your device, as of August 17, 2022, store functionality will no longer be available. This change only affects certain devices introduced 10+ years ago (listed below). As of August 17, you'll no longer be able to browse, buy, or borrow books directly from these Kindle devices. As always, you'll be able to browse, buy, and borrow books on other supported devices or through amazon.com/ebooks.

Which Kindle devices are affected? Kindle (2nd Gen) International, Kindle DX International, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle (4th Gen), and Kindle (5th Gen). Our records show at least one of these devices is registered to this email address. Visit Manage your Content and Devices to see all your registered devices. If you are unsure which device(s) you have, visit Identify Your Kindle for more information.

Can I still read on my Kindle? Yes. You can still access your existing library from your Kindle, deliver newly purchased or borrowed books to it, or download books from your “Archived Items.”

How can I shop for Kindle books after August 17, 2022?
  • Visit amazon.com/ebooks in a browser on your phone, tablet, or computer.
  • Use the Kindle Store on a touchscreen Kindle or Amazon Fire tablet.
  • Upgrade to a new Kindle. Use code [REDACTED] to save 30% and get $40 in eBook credit. Offer valid through July 5, 2022, at 11:59 PM (PT). Terms and Conditions apply.

If you have any questions, please visit our FAQ or contact our Customer Service team who will be happy to help you.

Regards, The Kindle Team
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 05:34 PM   #2
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
I still have a k4nt registered on my account. I have yet to receive this email too.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2022, 06:02 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
I still have a k4nt registered on my account. I have yet to receive this email too.
Same here. No email, and I have two K4NTs on my account.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:30 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
The description specifically mentions international versions in some cases. That may be a factor.

If anyone has received this email from Amazon please let us know.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 11:44 PM   #5
jonathan2022
Connoisseur
jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android
i have recieved this message. i live outside usa though so probably have international kindle. mine was sent to south africa when my sister lived there. my model is 4th generation. so i should be able to continue getting books if i buy on amazon store via web browser on pc. and it will support new smartphones ? most likely this is to make sure people use current formats (with latest drm) . i had a feeling this would come when they announced support for epub. i just wondered how they would do this without inviting lawsuits.
jonathan2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2022, 12:04 AM   #6
Canis_lupus
Enthusiast
Canis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmos

Device: K2, K3, Touch, K5B, Voyage, PW4, Oasis 1, 2 & 3, PW5
I also have received the e-mail. I have seven devices this applies to: a second generation Kindle, three Kindle Keyboards and two 5th generation and a DX.

It looks like we can still send books to Kindle Keyboards and 4 & 5th generation via WiFi. Side loading is not mentioned but hopefully that will work.

Those with a DX or second generation Kindle, does side loading still work for you? When 3G stopped working the option to download and transfer was not available for either of mine. When I called Amazon they said those models are no longer supported. I’m wondering if it is a glitch to my Amazon account or computer that is causing that.
Canis_lupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 02:21 AM   #7
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, K4B, KPW3, KOA3, KF7 (2019)
I mean... we did hear word of a store redesign being worked on, so I wouldn't be surprised if that is why.
Badcatalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 02:39 AM   #8
jonathan2022
Connoisseur
jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android
this is my understanding of the announcement after thinking about it. are they basically Just not supporting the browser and store links on older kindles. because it says you can still buy after those dates. but you have to use a modern browser either from your phone or pc . will send to kindle still work do you think after that date ?
jonathan2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 02:53 AM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
So, if I read this right, it's almost a non issue for me as I hardly ever buy books via the Kindle. If I can access my library (including new books I just bought or borrowed) not much will be changing.

BTW, I haven't gotten this email yet either and I have (I think) four Kindles registered in this model range. I'm in the U.S.. so I'll let folks know if I get this email.

Last edited by rcentros; 05-24-2022 at 02:55 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 05:33 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I have registered KK3 and DXG in different countries. No email.

But I only download to PC via browser, never direct on KK3 WiFi or DXG 3G (which still works here).

Perhaps it applies only in some countries and only models with 2G/3G mobile/cellular only.

Last edited by Quoth; 05-24-2022 at 05:36 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:26 AM   #11
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I’ve got the email. Only one upgrade offer per account, so presumably multiple devices don’t qualify for more. You have to have received the email to qualify, so I’d guess that a quick transfer or purchase wouldn’t work.

Last edited by issybird; 05-24-2022 at 09:38 AM.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 09:10 AM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
I still have a K2--yes, really--and I have not received this email, FWIW.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 09:34 AM   #13
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I wonder if there’s a qualifier that Amazon hasn’t mentioned, along the lines of the device having been used within X amount of time? With WiFi on, obviously. Essentially, that if you’ve got to brush the cobwebs off or it was disposed of long ago, Amazon figures you don’t need to be appeased? No device lasts forever.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 11:09 AM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I wonder if there’s a qualifier that Amazon hasn’t mentioned, along the lines of the device having been used within X amount of time? With WiFi on, obviously. Essentially, that if you’ve got to brush the cobwebs off or it was disposed of long ago, Amazon figures you don’t need to be appeased? No device lasts forever.
No idea. I guess those of us with older devices will, eventually, get to hear the Bell Toll. I mean, I use mine simply for testing our eBooks, of course--I read on a later-gen Paperwhite (since my Voyage, sob, died).

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 03:49 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I wonder if this means you won't be able to register older Kindles after August 22nd?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote