Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-30-2022, 12:38 PM   #181
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xSiegfried View Post
I've sent ePubs using Amazon send-to-kindle service that convert them to docs (AZW2 ?) and without cover !
is this the ePub support people talk about ?
Yes. Since the converted epub lands on your device as a PDOC, it does not have a cover. See multiple complaints in various threads about this behaviour.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 08:20 PM   #182
0xSiegfried
0xSiegfried is on a distinguished road

Device: KOA3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Yes. Since the converted epub lands on your device as a PDOC, it does not have a cover. See multiple complaints in various threads about this behaviour.
Honestly, If this is really the Amazon way to support ePub, I think it's better to stuck with Calibre
0xSiegfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2022, 08:26 PM   #183
GeniusJ
Connoisseur
GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
That doesn't quite make sense, because MOBI files sent via "Send to Kindle" also land on the device as a PDOC. Something in the way they're converting Epub format is the issue.
GeniusJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 02:08 PM   #184
Kismatt
lowly peon
Kismatt began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy A7, Win10 Tab, Paperwhite (7th Gen), Paperwhite (10th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusJ View Post
That doesn't quite make sense, because MOBI files sent via "Send to Kindle" also land on the device as a PDOC. Something in the way they're converting Epub format is the issue.
I've noticed that the epubs that I've sent to my Paperwhite as a test had trouble with the smart (curly) quotes and other 'special' characters. Anyone else have this issue?

I'm probably going to stick with Calibre-to-Kindle for a while just to let them figure out all the problems.
Kismatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 02:15 PM   #185
GeniusJ
Connoisseur
GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismatt View Post
I've noticed that the epubs that I've sent to my Paperwhite as a test had trouble with the smart (curly) quotes and other 'special' characters. Anyone else have this issue?
Yes, I saw that too. That's why I'm sending MOBI to Kindle for the time being. If they don't sort this out eventually, I'll probably just convert my EPUBs to MOBI to strip out the fancy formatting and then back to EPUB, then send it over to Kindle. That usually does the trick.
Advert
Old 06-07-2022, 02:44 PM   #186
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismatt View Post

I'm probably going to stick with Calibre-to-Kindle for a while just to let them figure out all the problems.
See the thread Send-to-Kindle IOS Apostrophe issue... for a solution.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 05:41 AM   #187
GnRFan79
Enthusiast
GnRFan79 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but other than being able to email .epub files to the Kindle without having to convert to .mobi first, what other benefits will there be?
GnRFan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 08:04 AM   #188
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnRFan79 View Post
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but other than being able to email .epub files to the Kindle without having to convert to .mobi first, what other benefits will there be?
The main benefit is that converted EPUBs are delivered in KF8 (azw3) format to most Kindles resulting in somewhat better formatting compared with older versions of MOBI. That comes with a drawback of the losing cover thumbnail in the Kindle's library view.
Old 06-22-2022, 06:09 PM   #189
Berkelyboy20
Berkelyboy20 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Calibre email to Kindle

Amazon is stopping me emailing Mobi files to kindle when I try to send an EPUB calibre is converting to MOBI and the email fails How can I keep sending books by email
Berkelyboy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 06:34 PM   #190
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkelyboy20 View Post
Amazon is stopping me emailing Mobi files to kindle when I try to send an EPUB calibre is converting to MOBI and the email fails How can I keep sending books by email
Try adding epub to the list of formats you can email to your Kindle. Preferences => Sharing books by email, add epub to the formats that can be sent to your Kindle email address.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 09:12 PM   #191
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I imagine that most people here use Calibre and are familiar with using a USB cable. Assuming this is true, what is the use of Send To Kindle?
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 09:15 PM   #192
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I imagine that most people here use Calibre and are familiar with using a USB cable. Assuming this is true, what is the use of Send To Kindle?
Syncing.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 11:31 PM   #193
GeniusJ
Connoisseur

Quote:
Synchronizing your books between Kindle devices and Kindle apps, including sync of last page read, bookmarks, etc.
Old 06-22-2022, 11:56 PM   #194
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Re: Syncing - I though Send To Kindle was simply a way to get a book onto a Kindle. Once it was there, the syncing is done by something else (WhisperSync?) I never use syncing myself - I only have one Kindle, and don't use the Kindle App, preferring Moon+ Reader if I am forced to read on my Android phone). Moon+ syncs between my Android phone and my two Android tablets (but my Kindle Paperwhite is left out of that syncing). However, 99% of my reading is done on that single Paperwhite, so I really don't need syncing much.

Is it that the alternate to Send To Kindle - side loading via Calibre - does not support syncing whereas Send To Kindle does? I understand that some features are not supported when you sideload (e.g., X-Ray). I don't know why it's not supported, but I don't think it is. Maybe syncing is another one of those non-supported features?
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:40 AM   #195
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I never use syncing myself - I only have one Kindle, and don't use the Kindle App,...
One potential advantage of syncing that applies even if you only have a single Kindle is that it provides a backup for the reading position, annotations, and collections of your books. If you ever break, lose, or otherwise decide to replace your Kindle it will save a lot of time and effort in restoring things to the new device.

Tags
epub kindle