Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-06-2021, 12:16 PM   #1
Hiperbori
Hiperbori began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note Pro, Likebook p78, Kobo Libra 2
Why doesn't Amazon want us to turn off kindle completely?

or maybe there is some way that I don't know ...

.................................................. .....
(translation from Catalan with Google)
Hiperbori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 01:04 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9", KO2, Paperwhite 2019
Sleep and Off are basically the same thing.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2021, 01:45 PM   #3
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
Why doesn't Amazon want us to turn off kindle completely?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiperbori View Post
.................................................. .....
(translation from Catalan with Google)
Because we would not want to wait for it to boot and the energy consumption in sleep mode is negligible so there is no downside.
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 01:52 PM   #4
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone SE 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Not if you have an old Kindle that you don't use much anymore and want to store it at the optimal 40% charge level.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 04:23 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Not if you have an old Kindle that you don't use much anymore and want to store it at the optimal 40% charge level.
Well said!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2021, 04:52 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 9.7, iPad 10.5, iPad 12.9
Quote:
If it's really old, you could probably jailbreak it. Jailbreak allows for actual shutdown.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 05:41 PM   #7
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
If it's really old, you could probably jailbreak it. Jailbreak allows for actual shutdown.
Sadly it has one update too many to allow for that.
Old 12-06-2021, 05:43 PM   #8
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Because they are mean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiperbori View Post
As ilovejedd wrote, jailbreak is the only way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Then why does the battery run down much faster on my sleeping kindles than my kindles that are turned off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ametzler View Post
Because we would not want to wait for it to boot and the energy consumption in sleep mode is negligible so there is no downside.
I don't like waiting for the outrageously long kindle boot times, but sometimes that is better than the battery running out of charge. It should be device owner choice.

And not everyone finds battery discharge while sleeping negligible.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 05:51 PM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sadly it has one update too many to allow for that.
Are you sure? I believe any Kindle PW2 or older is possible to be jailbroken.

The PW1, I remember jailbreaking/downgrading via forced reboot while connected to USB. Exact steps should be in the old JB thread.
Old 12-06-2021, 06:42 PM   #10
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:

The PW1, I remember jailbreaking/downgrading via forced reboot while connected to USB. Exact steps should be in the old JB thread.
It is a PW1, so maybe.... last I looked, I didn't see a jailbreak for it.

I haven't bothered since I so seldom use it, but would like to preserve the battery, and if I could install KOReader on it, I might actually use it a lot more.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:35 PM   #11
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:

Thanks.... turns out that it was quite easy, and I now have KOReader installed, and the power button now actually turns it off instead of rebooting! (interesting, as I assumed I'd have to install a tweak or configure it somehow)
Old 12-06-2021, 08:05 PM   #12
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Thanks.... turns out that it was quite easy, and I now have KOReader installed, and the power button now actually turns it off instead of rebooting! (interesting, as I assumed I'd have to install a tweak or configure it somehow)
Are you sure? (Does it reboot when you turn it back on?)

I've never heard of anyone setting up a kindles to power off via the power button, much less being set up to do so automatically by simply doing a jailbreak.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:45 PM   #13
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post

I've never heard of anyone setting up a kindles to power off via the power button, much less being set up to do so automatically by simply doing a jailbreak.
I wonder if that's just the roll-back to 5.3.3 then... maybe it wasn't the jailbreak that changed the behavior.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:51 PM   #14
twowheels
Wizard

Ugh, you're right... it's not turning off, just blanking the screen.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:08 PM   #15
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post

Yeah, I remember I had to add a script to KUAL for manual shutdown.

Tags
kindle poweroff, power off