Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-19-2019, 09:45 AM   #1
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
New Oasis with warm light

All New Oasis with Adjustable Warm Light

"Now you can adjust the shade of the screen from white light to a warm amber with the ability to schedule when the light changes for a personalized reading experience. Kindle Oasis also has an adaptive front light that automatically adjusts the brightness of your screen based on lighting conditions."

Last edited by issybird; 06-19-2019 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Fixed link.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:07 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
...and that explains the brief sale price of the 'all-older Oasis'.

I'm glad I waited.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2019, 10:36 AM   #3
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
...and that explains the brief sale price of the 'all-older Oasis'.

I'm glad I waited.
It does explain the recent sale on the Oasis.

Congratulations on your awesome recovery Dr. Drib !
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:55 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
All New Oasis with Adjustable Warm Light

"Now you can adjust the shade of the screen from white light to a warm amber with the ability to schedule when the light changes for a personalized reading experience. Kindle Oasis also has an adaptive front light that automatically adjusts the brightness of your screen based on lighting conditions."
Eh... not really interested. In all the other aspects it's the same as the previous model. I'm not going to cough up 250 bucks only for a fancy frontlight.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:09 AM   #5
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If they would improve the battery life, I'd be interested. I love my 2017 Oasis, but the battery life leaves a lot to be desired.

The "warm" light isn't important to me, certainly not enough to inspire me to open my wallet again at that price.
Advert
Old 06-19-2019, 11:32 AM   #6
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
If my Oasis 2 didn't have the ability to invert black and white, I would probably trade it in for the new one in order to read comfortably at night. As it is, I find the white on black display perfect for reading in a dark room. Nor does it seem to affect my sleep, unlike my phone and tablet before I started using a blue light filter. Still, I'm glad Amazon is finally offering a warm light for those who've been looking for it.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:03 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Likewise. Good to have it as an option for those who prefer “warm” lighting, but it’s not something I have a need for myself.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:38 PM   #8
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
interestingly no model with cellular networking, although the chart they have comparing kindle models says one exists.

So one's probably coming
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:43 PM   #9
Deskisamess
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
interestingly no model with cellular networking, although the chart they have comparing kindle models says one exists.

So one's probably coming
Someone over on the Amazon forums had a link to the cellular model...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FJ91TLB

Old 06-19-2019, 12:48 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

So one's probably coming
When I looked at the chart on Amazon.ca, it shows a 32GB model at $430 with WiFi and Cellular, a 32GB model at $360 with WiFi and an 8GB model with WiFi for $330 (all dollar amounts in Cdn dollars). The older version and the current Paperwhite also do not have a "free cellular for a few dollars more" 8GB model.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new_oasis.png
Views:	620
Size:	407.7 KB
ID:	171981  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:03 PM   #11
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
full page screenshot of the page initially linked
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ezgif-2-3465a1315135.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	774.5 KB
ID:	171982  
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:12 PM   #12
ReaderGeeked
ReaderGeeked began at the beginning.

Device: Forma, Aura One, Clara HD, Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 4 & 3...
Goodbye Kobo Forma and Aura ONE. Now I have to sell the "old" Oasis before the prices completely tank.
ReaderGeeked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:32 PM   #13
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Someone over on the Amazon forums had a link to the cellular model...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FJ91TLB

Interesting. The wifi only models are the same price as the old ones, but the cellular is $20 more now. Not enough reason to upgrade (for me) as I am perfectly happy without warm light. It is however nice to see that choice of features no longer dictates ecosystem as they all (Kobo, Nook, Kindle) are basically feature identical.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:59 PM   #14
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
My original Oasis is still going strong and I like it. Lightweight, battery lasts me a week (I know, not like the 3-4 of older models), has page turn buttons and I like the lighting scheme. I'll probably use it til it's dead (like my old Sony 505). So all that to say I won't be getting this
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:59 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
full page screenshot of the page initially linked
Looking at the Oasis column, near the bottom of the compare editions, it says WiFi or WiFi and Free Cellular the same as the Paperwhite.

OTOH, even if I select the WiFi and Free Cellular version for the Oasis or the WAN version for the Paperwhite, the tech specs does not mention cellular connectivity for either the Oasis or the Paperwhite.

On yet another hand, at least I don't get to see a Special offers variant on Amazon.ca.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote