Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-27-2017, 12:57 PM   #1
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 1,2,3, Kindle DX, Onyx M96, Onyx i86 Plus, Onyx Boox Max
Use Kindle without Amazon

Hi,

I was browsing around and got no definitive answer if a newer Kindle (like Oasis 1/2, Kindle 8, ...) can be used without Amazon registration. I know it worked with older Kindles but I am not sure if it still works.

E.g. my Oasis 2 forced me to create and/or login to an Amazon account. Is it possible to unregister them and just use it as a normal 'non-connected e-reader'?
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2017, 01:02 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Hi,

I was browsing around and got no definitive answer if a newer Kindle (like Oasis 1/2, Kindle 8, ...) can be used without Amazon registration. I know it worked with older Kindles but I am not sure if it still works.

E.g. my Oasis 2 forced me to create and/or login to an Amazon account. Is it possible to unregister them and just use it as a normal 'non-connected e-reader'?
Go to the dev forum. There is a thread there that might be useful to you.
Cinisajoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:03 PM   #3
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle PW2 and Voyage; Kobo Aura HD and One
I've registered all my Kindles with Amazon and after that put them permanently in airplane mode, so they never connect to Amazon. I side load everything through Calibre. If there is a firmware update I'm interested in, I'll download that and manually install.

My readers do stay registered to my Amazon account--but never communicate with Amazon.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:07 PM   #4
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I've registered all my Kindles with Amazon and after that put them permanently in airplane mode, so they never connect to Amazon. I side load everything through Calibre. If there is a firmware update I'm interested in, I'll download that and manually install.

My readers do stay registered to my Amazon account--but never communicate with Amazon.
That's one way to do it.

The problem is if you forget that one time it transfers every telemetry data it collected over the months at once.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:19 PM   #5
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Hi,

I've always thought my Kindles came pre-registered, but "My Account" in settings shows UNREGISTERED. It had no signal when I turned it on out of the box and I put it in airplane mode after setup. I've put 5 books on it an have been using it normally.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2017, 01:20 PM   #6
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post

Didn't they connect to Amazon when you registered them?
Old 11-27-2017, 01:22 PM   #7
j.p.s
Wizard

Quote:
That's one way to do it.

The problem is if you forget that one time it transfers every telemetry data it collected over the months at once.
Does the collected data survive a reboot?
Old 11-27-2017, 01:28 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The problem is that many features are not available on an unregistered Kindle - eg one cannot use collections. Perhaps the OP can explain what problem he is trying to solve, and people may be able to suggest an appropriate solution.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:48 PM   #9
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Does the collected data survive a reboot?
I don't know but I assume it will. Amazon won't give up free user data so easily.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:02 AM   #10
Antinoos
Connoisseur
Antinoos began at the beginning.

Device: PW3, KT3 (fw 5.8.11 with jb)
I've used all my newer Kindles (PW3 and KT3) permanently offline only. Never once registered them with Amazon; sideloaded all my documents from other sources.

As opposed to the (outdated...) tip in the jailbreaking thread, I even skipped the "step 0" recommendation to once register them before doing the jailbreak. A few days ago I've learned in this forum how to apply a fake tegistration to jaibroken Kindles 7th generation and up. Now I even have the menu entry for managing collections. Though I never used it, as I'm mostly using Vlasovsoft's CoolReader for reading EPUB and MOBI files, and the Amazon standard softwarr just for PDFs and some old PRC files. Or I skip over to KOReader if I like. All are ways better than Amazon's standard (except with scanned PDFs, where the standard software is really good).

Last edited by Antinoos; 12-02-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Antinoos is offline   Reply With Quote