Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: e-ink screen failed,lifetime=???
screen failed,lifetime<1year(<720hrs,if read 2hrs/day ) 1 6.25%
screen failed,lifetime<1.5years(<1080hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<2years(<1440hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<2.5years(<1800hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<3years(<2160hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<3.5years(<2520hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<4years(<2880hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<4.5years(<3240hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<5years(<3600hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<5.5years(<3960hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<6years(<4320hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<6.5years(<4680hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<7years(<5040hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<7.5years(<5400hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<8years(<5760hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<8.5years(<6120hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<9years(<6480hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<9.5years(<6840hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<10years(<7200hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime>10years(>7200hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 3 18.75%
else 12 75.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2017, 12:48 PM   #16
ellenoc
Author
ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've had a K1, KK, PW, Voyage, Oasis 1, and Oasis 2 with never a failure. The K1 was fine at the time I gave it away, and the KK still works fine today. I used it again for awhile when I donated the PW to my dog club's annual fund-raising sale a week or so before the Voyage I'd ordered arrived.

Once in a great while I see reports of screen failures on older Kindles over at KBoards, but as I recall they've always been on devices much older than 3 years.
ellenoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2017, 08:23 PM   #17
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3G, Voyage WiFi;FireHD; Kobo: Aura One, Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I'm not going ANYWHERE! Death is just giving in to peer pressure!

Someone's pressuring me like nobody's business!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:19 AM   #18
Victoria
Evangelist
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle pW 3, iphone 7
Like so many other members, mine are all still operating fine, going back to the kindle keyboard version.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:37 PM   #19
nelamvr6
Zealot
nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Oasis 2 (2017)
I've never had any Kindle experience a screen failure. I've always bought the newest model after a couple of years, but always the model I was leaving was working perfectly when I handed it down to a family member.
nelamvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:38 PM   #20
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro, Pixel C
I have owned a Nook, 3 different Kindles, several Sony readers and a couple Kobo readers. Not one single instance of screen failure since 2011. It's more or less a non-issue in my book.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2017, 03:47 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
I've had one Reader fail. That was a screen controller issue and not the screen. I've never had a screen just fail.

I voted else as in no failure at all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:14 AM   #22
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood is faster than slow light.Richwood is faster than slow light.Richwood is faster than slow light.Richwood is faster than slow light.Richwood is faster than slow light.Richwood is faster than slow light.Richwood is faster than slow light.Richwood is faster than slow light.Richwood is faster than slow light.Richwood is faster than slow light.Richwood is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo Aura One, and Nook Glowlight Plus
My only screen failure was due to impact on a Kindle DX. A vacuum insulated no spill coffee mug slipped out of my hand while reading and hit the screen glass. I suspect that most screen failures are due to impacts or due to the frame of the reader twisting due to applied stress such as carrying in a pocket.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:10 PM   #23
meeera
Wizard
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad Air 2, MBP; support AuraHD,Kindle,KAura,KGlo
I voted "else" because I've never had a screen fail. Never broken one either.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:58 PM   #24
rcentros
Grump
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST & w/GL, Kindle Basic 4 (NT), Touch, Basic 8, Sony PRS-T2, 300
I think "screen failure" usually means a broken screen.

Quote:
This princess lives in a glass castle, that princess on a glass hill; this one sees all things in a mirror; they may all live in glass houses if they will not throw stones. For this thin glitter of glass everywhere is the expression of the fact that the happiness is bright but brittle, like the substance most easily smashed by a housemaid or a cat. ...

Remember, however, that to be breakable is not the same as to be perishable. Strike a glass, and it will not endure an instant; simply do not strike it, and it will endure a thousand years.
— G. K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:13 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
delete post

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-10-2017 at 08:23 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:46 AM   #26
isaak
Enthusiast
isaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheese

Device: kobo aura one; kindle dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
My only screen failure was due to impact on a Kindle DX. A vacuum insulated no spill coffee mug slipped out of my hand while reading and hit the screen glass. I suspect that most screen failures are due to impacts or due to the frame of the reader twisting due to applied stress such as carrying in a pocket.
My Kindle DX screen has 2-3 permanent black points probably due to impact, but it is still pretty readable. The main limiting factor is battery life.
isaak is online now   Reply With Quote