Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-24-2017, 07:46 AM   #16
NullNix
Fanatic
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
What do you mean? How is Amazon discriminating against port 25? Amazon doesn't care what port you use to send email to their service. Are you saying that you're trying to set up your Kindle to send email? Is this a Kindle Fire? If so, I don't think it's Amazon that is blocking port 25, it's probably whatever Internet provider you're using at the time. I know that my ISP, Cox, blocks port 25 for anything except connections to their own SMTP servers.

Shari
I was using 'port 25' as a shorthand for 'SMTP connections terminating on Amazon's free.kindle.com servers'.

You will often get connection failures, or one-byte-per-second connections with eventual disconnection, if you connect to retail-smtp-in.amazon.com from anything looking even remotely non-huge-cloud-business: I've seen it from residential ADSL space, small-business IP space and medium-sized-fibre-to-the-premises. gmail? always works. These are not blacklisted addresses I'm talking about: they're in MX records and receive and send mail to and from many other sites without difficulty (not that mail senders need to be mail recipients as well, but all of these are).
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2017, 09:24 AM   #17
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW 1, 2, and 3, Voyage, Oasis 2, Kindle Fire, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Lynx
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
I was using 'port 25' as a shorthand for 'SMTP connections terminating on Amazon's free.kindle.com servers'.

You will often get connection failures, or one-byte-per-second connections with eventual disconnection, if you connect to retail-smtp-in.amazon.com from anything looking even remotely non-huge-cloud-business: I've seen it from residential ADSL space, small-business IP space and medium-sized-fibre-to-the-premises. gmail? always works. These are not blacklisted addresses I'm talking about: they're in MX records and receive and send mail to and from many other sites without difficulty (not that mail senders need to be mail recipients as well, but all of these are).
Now I'm even more confused. You're trying to use your Kindle to connect to and send email from Amazon's AWS email services?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 02:21 PM   #18
NullNix
Fanatic
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Now I'm even more confused. You're trying to use your Kindle to connect to and send email from Amazon's AWS email services?

Shari
No no, this is about sending stuff to the Kindle free email address (in this case, Calibre-rendered news articles, via calibre-smtp(1)). In the middle of last year, Amazon started indefinitely deferring everything I sent this way via everything other than the largest of email providers. Grumble grumble big corporate hegemony grumble...
Old 11-25-2017, 12:27 AM   #19
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air
Quote:

Shari
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
No no, this is about sending stuff to the Kindle free email address (in this case, Calibre-rendered news articles, via calibre-smtp(1)). In the middle of last year, Amazon started indefinitely deferring everything I sent this way via everything other than the largest of email providers. Grumble grumble big corporate hegemony grumble...
I could suggest a couple of items to check. Do you have the reverse DNS lookup for your sending address set up correctly (DNS PTR records)? Have you added a spf text record to your domain? Do you have an AAAA as well as an A record for your sending address? The last is kinda stupid but one site I deal with requires that record before allowing my emails to hit their servers. All this is much easier if you control your own DNS server(s) as few ISPs are willing to go to the trouble of setting up those records for a home user or even a small business user. You can also try plugging your sending IP address into MXToolbox or similar site to see what your reputation, if any, is.

Not so much corporate hegemony as attempts to keep spam from totally driving email users away.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:59 AM   #20
stumped
Guru
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung tab s , fire HDX 8.9, fire hd 8
If i want to send a book from my calibre library e.g. to may daughters kindle, using send to kindle, I just create a new email in my current desktop email client ( was outlook , is now mailbird) , address it to her @kindle address, open the file path for the book in my calibre front screen with "open path" in the right hand book details window , and attach the .mobi book that I see in that path to the email.
works fine. no one gets to see any passwords. She had to - one off - add me to the list of people allowed to email books to her kindle account
sending mobi is reliable, AZW can be problematic, so I pre-convert to moibi if needed.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2017, 01:09 PM   #21
NullNix
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I could suggest a couple of items to check. Do you have the reverse DNS lookup for your sending address set up correctly (DNS PTR records)? Have you added a spf text record to your domain? Do you have an AAAA as well as an A record for your sending address? The last is kinda stupid but one site I deal with requires that record before allowing my emails to hit their servers. All this is much easier if you control your own DNS server(s) as few ISPs are willing to go to the trouble of setting up those records for a home user or even a small business user. You can also try plugging your sending IP address into MXToolbox or similar site to see what your reputation, if any, is.
I have rDNS, but not SPF because it is more or less useless, and would actually reduce the likelihood of my other mail getting through because valid SPF is a positive spam sign (seriously: it is more used by spammers than by nonspammers: it took active manual overriding to prevent SpamAssassin's GA trainer from giving it a high positive score in the last training run).

I'm not even trying to send or receive email over IPv6 (yet).