Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-08-2017, 09:51 PM   #31
patrickt
Guru
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Basic
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I disagree - it provides excellent protection. Why do you think it doesn't?
I couldn't get a case until December or January but from the pictures it would see that about a third of the Oasis is hanging out when the case is close. How does that provide protection.

For me the case is for protection and for something to hang on to. The Kindles are thin and slick and my fingers are clumsy and arthritic.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2017, 01:53 AM   #32
raybies
raybies began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I ordered: https://www.ebay.com/itm/202106995919
raybies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:20 AM   #33
gteague
Connoisseur
gteague has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle v1.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by raybies View Post
'Does not ship to United States'

/guy
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:53 AM   #34
varioflux
Sâr Rabindranath Duval
varioflux began at the beginning.

Device: kindle Paperwhite 1 & Kobo [Aura H2O] & Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by raybies View Post
I took the "fancy cube", there are only delivery times that annoy me, but hey, it's ordered!
varioflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:19 AM   #35
gteague
Connoisseur

i'm finding that the worst case scenario for the (blue cloth) case i have is when i'm reading with it folded underneath and go to bring the top around to close it up. nearly invariably the cover will slide completely off rather than folding around the kindle. i can make it fail nearly 100% of the time.

so yes, it will hang by the top half of the cover, that proves nothing at all. my findings so far are that it fails nearly completely at certain angles and with certain pressures applied at those angles. and eventually i'll find a foolproof workaround, but in the meantime i'll probably be in a hurry to close it while walking over concrete and that will be all she wrote.

i put in for a label to return mine, but while trying to use the naked oasis when the cover was boxed up i found it impossible to hold. i doubt they could have designed it any better if they were going for hard to hold.

i'm with the wired magazine review--the dammed thing is just too damm big and they exceeded the limits of what was possible if they wanted it to be portable.

/guy
Advert
Old 11-10-2017, 04:28 AM   #36
Josieb1
Wizard
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 2, Fire HD8,
I just bought this case from eBay. I wanted to have one clip in case in case I want to take the Oasis outside the house. The sellers in the UK so they must already have a supply from China. It was £7.99 (or £5.49 from another seller direct from China)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flip-Leat...72.m2749.l2649
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_6716.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	353.2 KB
ID:	159939  
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:33 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I couldn't get a case until December or January but from the pictures it would see that about a third of the Oasis is hanging out when the case is close. How does that provide protection.
The back of the device doesn't need protection - it's made of anodised aluminium, which very tough stuff. My iPhone, which has a case made from the same material, has been in my pocket, without a cover, along with coins, keys, etc, for over three years, and there's not a mark on it. What needs protection is the screen, which the cover does protect very well.

Last edited by HarryT; 11-10-2017 at 04:37 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:57 AM   #38
patrickt
Guru
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The back of the device doesn't need protection - it's made of anodised aluminium, which very tough stuff. My iPhone, which has a case made from the same material, has been in my pocket, without a cover, along with coins, keys, etc, for over three years, and there's not a mark on it. What needs protection is the screen, which the cover does protect very well.
That probably explains why cell phones with the rubber cases that protect the back, and the corners, never have broken screens. Of course, they do.

I won't be considering an Oasis until there is a case in which I have confidence. I wouldn't mind if it came from Amazon Kindle. In the short time I had the Oasis before returning it, I found two things I liked. One was the ability to made the system font larger and the other was the battery level reading out in percentage. Both are relatively minor but I liked them. One thing I did not like at all was the Oasis would not go into any pocket I have on my baggy clothes. My Paperwhite slips into my lower shirt pocket on my guayabera shirt and into my pants pocket. I don't usually carry it in either pocket but I do in some situations and would not like having to keep the Kindle in my hand or take the time to put it in my backpack.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:38 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That probably explains why cell phones with the rubber cases that protect the back, and the corners, never have broken screens. Of course, they do.
That's precisely why I said:

Quote:
What needs protection is the screen, which the cover does protect very well.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:56 AM   #40
kaibob
Connoisseur
kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Fintie has a case for the new Oasis. Depending on the exact cover, the cost is $11.99 or $12.99 plus $4.99 for shipping. The cases are scheduled to be available on November 15th.

The link that Fintie provided me is:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0777K1G2S?th=1

The link I obtained directly from the Amazon product listing page is:

https://www.amazon.com/Fintie-Kindle...9th+generation

Last edited by kaibob; 11-10-2017 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling
kaibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:31 AM   #41
disconnected
Addict
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O2; Nook Glowlight 3; Oasis; Glo HD; Aura; iPAQ 4700(retired)
Quote:
In the short time I had the Oasis before returning it, I found two things I liked. One was the ability to made the system font larger and the other was the battery level reading out in percentage. Both are relatively minor but I liked them.
Oddly enough that particular combination of features drives me nuts. I like the percentage display but I hate the look of the book list screen with large fonts, and the fact that with the large fonts I only get 6 books on a page instead of 8. Possibly the percentage is needed for screen reader but there's plenty of room for it anyway so I don't see why it isn't the default or at least an option, separate from the whole large display option.

One feature I do like, with the increased storage, is the global search, but it's not too important to me; on the whole I much prefer Kobo's overall look and customization options.

I'm afraid that for me the honeymoon period ended early. I could live with the software choices but I can't hold the Oasis for more than a few minutes without pain. I was fine with the smaller version but the increased size and weight combined with the unbalanced shape/weight, the cold and slippery back, and the sharpish raised edges (possibly a quality control issue) make the new Oasis very uncomfortable for me. My H2O2 is actually a bit heavier but I find it much easier to hold and its 8 GB of memory is really plenty. I'm going to return the Oasis.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:51 PM   #42
patrickt
Guru

"Oddly enough that particular combination of features drives me nuts. I like the percentage display but I hate the look of the book list screen with large fonts, and the fact that with the large fonts I only get 6 books on a page instead of 8."

Mine gave me the choice of large font or regular. I realize that if I opted for regular, which I usually can't read, I lose the battery percentage reading. But, it's still a choice.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:53 PM   #43
patrickt
Guru

Quote:
That's precisely why I said:
I don't consider one third of the back being bare as protected well. Landing on the unprotected corner just might cause problems. Since I don't know of a Kindle case where the case company gives a guarantee of protection I have to go with my judgement.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:56 PM   #44
gteague
Connoisseur

ah! i was wondering what drugs you guys were taking that were making you see a battery percentage! i didn't try the large system font option because i always have the need to see more on the screen. at least now that they've scraped off some of my cataracts.

/guy
Old 11-10-2017, 06:05 PM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I don't consider one third of the back being bare as protected well. Landing on the unprotected corner just might cause problems. Since I don't know of a Kindle case where the case company gives a guarantee of protection I have to go with my judgement.
Of course; as do we all. If it’s any help, though, I’ve been using Apple’s “Smart Covers” on my various iPads for more years than I care to remember. These, like the Oasis case, are magnetically attached, and cover only the front of the device, leaving the back exposed. I’ve carried iPads around in bags, rucksacks, etc, for years using these covers, and they’ve always worked absolutely fine to protect the iPad.

Tags
but are showing as used