Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-28-2017, 05:42 PM   #16
Shad Plante
Enthusiast
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
The Paperwhite is also due for an update. It and the Voyage are both two years old and neither has Bluetooth. I would be surprised if Amazon didn’t refresh at least the Paperwhite next Spring.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2017, 06:52 PM   #17
seanyyz
Enthusiast
seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Thank you so much for your input. From the sound of things with the firmware update the PW2 should be good for now. But with a PW4 all bets are off.
seanyyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:31 PM   #18
happysnapper22
Connoisseur
happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2 & PW3
Upgrade to the newest firmware YES. Better to ask why you wouldn't.

As for upgrading from a PW2 to PW3 - I did this a few months ago and to be honest the difference is minimal. were it not for the fact that I passed my PW2 to daughter to replace her PW1 I'd have returned the PW3.

Voyage is a better screen (wife has KV) but I hate the reporter book cover, the Oasis is too much £££ for my usage. Next upgrade will be difficult, wife reads a LOT, enough to justify the cost of the new 7" Oasis - that leaves me with the Voyage and the awfull cover...
happysnapper22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:40 PM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Get a different cover if you don't like it. There are lots of third-party Voyage covers available.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:49 PM   #20
ElspethB
Groupie
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0, PW2, Voyage, Oasis 2
I second Harry's recommendation. I did not want the origami cover for my Voyage so I first bought the Fintie SmartShell. Unfortunately, after only a few months of very careful use (no drops), one of the corner edges broke off. I ended up getting a HOTCOOL cover, which I like very much. It's lightweight but has been far more durable than the Fintie, and it gives me the same book-like reading experience I enjoyed with my PW with the official Amazon cover.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2017, 08:37 PM   #21
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle PW2 and Voyage; Kobo Aura HD and One
I third Harry and Elspeth's suggestions--get a third party cover for your voyage. I have the official Origami (plastic) Amazon cover plus three third party covers--I tend to switch my cases based on my mood. The one I use the most is a "map motif" case by Fintie--so far it's holding up fine--and at about $10/case, I can afford to replace it every once in a while.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:43 PM   #22
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air 2, Fire HD8 (2017)
There are some significant hardware differences: PW 2 has 768x1024 display and 256MB RAM, PW 2 has 1072x1448 screen and 512MB RAM.

If you have need of it, Paperwhite 3 supports VoiceView screen reader.

But we might see a new Paperwhite in next few months. I’d expect it to have flush screen and maybe a little smaller form factor (like Voyage or Kindle 8th gen). Bluetooth and 8GB.

Last edited by tomsem; 11-01-2017 at 04:29 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:24 AM   #23
gal_amy
Enthusiast
gal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: iPad 9.7, iPad 10.5, Kindle HDX, iPhone6, iPhone7, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
If you have need of it, Paperwhite 3 support VoiceView screen reader.
).

How do I access Voice View

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
gal_amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:57 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gal_amy View Post
How do I access Voice View
Have you bought an audio adapter? That's the first step. Go and buy one.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote