Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-04-2017, 09:29 AM   #361
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I'm not sure if about Amazon. I think they use geolocation to add some restrictions, but it might just be based on your profile as well.
It's based on the country specified in your account, but if you consistently buy books from a country that differs from that listed, they can (and do) ask for evidence of your residency in the country that you claim to be in.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2017, 01:06 PM   #362
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's based on the country specified in your account, but if you consistently buy books from a country that differs from that listed, they can (and do) ask for evidence of your residency in the country that you claim to be in.
I set up an Amazon UK account and haven't listed anything in my profile. It didn't ask me for an address.

I checked a book I would like to get that is geo-restricted (The Town That Forgot How To Breathe) and it said the book was not available. But if I look at Amazon UK without logging in, the book is available. My guess would be that Amazon used my IP address to figure out my location.

I'd considered installing Tor and setting my location to the UK, just to see if the book would appear. But I haven't cared enough to go through the hassle yet.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:56 PM   #363
sealbeater
Groupie
sealbeater doesn't littersealbeater doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900
It seems appropriate to post this.

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.en.html
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:36 PM   #364
Pulpmeister
Addict
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
On piracy, the issue does get confused by what is I think excessively broad usage of the word.

Book piracy used to mean unauthorised publishing, for profit, without paying royalties to the author. The publisher was the pirate. The punter buying the book in a shop was unlikely to know, or even understand, and was not a pirate.

In digital publishing, it is sometimes easier to know, if you're reasonably sophisticated, whether a book is a pirate publication or a legitimate one. But many who buy and pay on-line would have no idea, and indeed no interest. ("I paid for it so it must be OK"). The pirate publisher takes advantage of that ignorance.

It is quite a bit different when the author is very well known and current, and the book is on a free site. Even the dimmest of punters must guess that something is not right, and must be knowingly downloading a pirated book. That makes them, I guess, knowing receivers of stolen property, but still not pirates.

Unless of course legislation has widened the meaning of piracy, which I don't know. (Too many countries, too many laws.)

After all, when I buy some much-hyped toys -- say for example an R2-D2 pencil box -- for a kid for Christmas, how can I tell if it is pirated or legit? The fact that I'm buying it in a big store suggests it's legit. Do I have to do research (and how would I go about it?) before buying?

There's a new model of music marketing developing: give the music away free in the first instance; make your money on yourself as a brand, through tours, merchandise, and advertisements hosted on your websites/facebook/etc. The music is in effect the advertising for the muso and the mechandise. Your fans aren't being thought thieves for getting free downloads, either. You are protecting them.

Harder to translate into the book world, I agree. Somehow I can't see myself making a fortune out of Pulpmeister T-shirts, and I couldn't sell out a phone booth for a live tour.

I must think about that Pulpmeister T-shirt idea a bit more....

Last edited by Pulpmeister; 12-11-2017 at 10:38 PM. Reason: typo
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:21 AM   #365
pipb
pipb will become famous soon enoughpipb will become famous soon enoughpipb will become famous soon enoughpipb will become famous soon enoughpipb will become famous soon enoughpipb will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo
Talking about piracy: in my country, Romania, people are not that used to paying for eBooks, CDs and DVDs as this kind of content was always available one way or another on torrents or by other sharing means. The law is also not pursuing people using such content. The situation is the same in the eastern part of Europe and is increasing in frequency when going to the east (like Russia).
Things start to change as the EU is putting pressure on local legislation to comply and take action.
pipb is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert