Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-23-2017, 10:33 PM   #1
Bookmonkey
Bookmonkey began at the beginning.

Device: None
How to send books to Aura One so font settings always work

Hi

I just converted back to the world of epubs after a foray into Mobi land. Everything is working fine but I still get the same problem I used to have on my old Sony 300. Some side loaded books resist any effort of the Aura to change the font and/or line spacing. Font resizing seems to always work though.

Is there a setting I should be using in Calibre or Kobo Utilities to send the book a certain way? I'm not sure if there's a "CSS" type file that is getting locked in and setting the font for me and whether there is a way I can override it to ensure I can use all my device's reader settings properly.
Bookmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:08 PM   #2
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
It depends how the book is formatted. Fonts can be defined either as they "Body" of the html, or in the style of the paragraph. Kobo font setting will overwrite the 'Body' font, but not the Paragraph style.

So, your available choices:

Use calibre to convert the book, (if already an epub, you can re-convert to epub), but but a check mark on "Fonts" in the Look & Feel -> Styling tab.

Alternatively, you can install the KoboTouchExtended Plugin in Calibre, and therefore send books to the Kobo in Kepub format. I have a lengthy post in the Tips and Tricks thread with a more comprehensive instruction that also allow the use of Full Screen Mode.

And finally, you can use the Patches to patch and customize your firmware. I believe there are options in the patches to enable always using user selected font.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:48 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Use the Calibre's eBook editor to remove all the font settings in the CSS and you can also remove the fonts (if any) as well. Also remove line-height in CSS. Then the eBook will behave as you want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:31 AM   #4
Bookmonkey
Bookmonkey began at the beginning.

Device: None
It looks like the Extended driver and kept conversion might be the fix. It's worked on one book so far and I'll continue to test Thanks for the help!
Bookmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote