Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-29-2008, 05:42 PM   #1
erasure25
Connoisseur
erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950; PRS-505
My shiny new PRS-505

I am one of the original PRS-500 owners and have loved it, although I always thought the screen was just a bit too dark. So when I heard that Sony was offering a trade in program, I thought I might as well upgrade. Then I heard rumors of a new Kindle that was on the horizon and thought I might wait for that one instead.

After a bit of research and looking into digital books provided by my local libraries (Los Angeles County, Pasadena...) and seeing that the Kindle does NOT support DRMed PDFs, I quickly changed my mind again and decided to go ahead with the PRS-505 trade in. Who knows if the new Kindle will support DRMed PDFs... I'm guessing not because they want to lock you into the Amazon store.

Well, I couldn't be happier! The 505 is so much better in so many ways. It's stylish, supports DRMed PDFs (which seem like a big deal to me!), has a much better display, more memory, and it seems to page turn quite a bit faster than my old 500. There isn't nearly as much ghosting as well. I also get 100 free "classics" downloads, which I didn't realize when I did the trade in. Also, the Sony rep told me I could get the 3-year insurance and if a newer model comes out, I would get that new model as a replacement. I also got the wedge light cover. It's a bit pricey but works so much better than the clip on lights.

Now, I'm not sure if this was a mistake, but the Sony rep took the $100 discount off the top, before sales tax. That made a nice difference in price (savings of $8.25 LOL).

Yes, the libraries do not have a great selection, but I think it will only get better in the future... and you can't beat having access to free books without having to spend eons reformatting them! I just "ordered" my first library book, Blink. I'm very excited!

Here's some links to pics of my lovely new gadget (kinda blurry cuz I used my phone):
http://pics.livejournal.com/erasure25/pic/0005x4bf
http://pics.livejournal.com/erasure25/pic/0005y1z2
http://pics.livejournal.com/erasure25/pic/0005wa30
erasure25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:49 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Great! I'm happy you're enjoying the benefits of the PRS-505. Everything you say is exactly my same reaction.

I see you're relatively new here, so let me extend a welcome to you. There's a lot of activity here, as you might have seen, and some incredible books available for free.

Happy Reading!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2008, 08:54 PM   #3
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Sounds like you're a happy camper. And you're reading "A Clash of Kings". Excellent choice.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:42 AM   #4
erasure25
Connoisseur
erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I definately have no second thoughts about my purchase. Love it! And I am loving A Song of Ice and Fire.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:31 AM   #5
adriatikfan
Enthusiast
adriatikfan began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure25 View Post

Yes, the libraries do not have a great selection, but I think it will only get better in the future... and you can't beat having access to free books without having to spend eons reformatting them! I just "ordered" my first library book, Blink. I'm very excited!
Which library would that be?

Best Wishes
David
adriatikfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2008, 07:56 AM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi erasure25 and welcome to the Forum and the joys of the 505.

I just joined the Fairfax, VA Library to take advantage of their eBook lending program and am very pleased with it. Lots of books and I've already downloaded one in ADE with no problems
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:33 AM   #7
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
I must say that I love my 505 and wish I would have gotten one sooner.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:57 AM   #8
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
I must say that I love my 505 and wish I would have gotten one sooner.

JJ
I feel the same way, but a lot of my happiness with the Reader has to do with the ability to flash it with my own fonts. I find that I really enjoy reading on the Reader a lot more when the font is to my liking .. I hated Dutch Roman BT and I had a difficult time reading my Korean ebooks until I found a good korean font for the reader. It took many trials, but now I do enjoy reading it. It seems like I should slip right into an ebook and forget the font after a bit, but it affects my enjoyment a great deal.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:44 PM   #9
bmwvan
Connoisseur
bmwvan is on a distinguished road

Device: hp iPAQ 4700/Fictionwise reader/Sony 505
Erasure25, I also have a new silver 505 and feel much the same as you. Now that the newness is wearing off, I am settling into a routine reading on my 505. I will have to spend several hours converting all the books I want to read on it since I have been reading on iPAQs, Palms, and eBookWise readers. If I can learn to write in Python, I'll enjoy my Sony even more! I'm glad you went for the 505 and I want to add my wishes for your enjoying it to the others here. Catch you later.

Van
bmwvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:09 PM   #10
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Glad you're enjoying the 505--great device. Of course, you probably could get a lot more than $100 for a working 500, pretty easily. Even on craigslist or something, if you didn't want the hassle of ebay, etc. $100 is a lowball price for a used 500-they'd be gone in a second if offered publicly at that price!
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:12 PM   #11
erasure25
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriatikfan View Post
Which library would that be?

Best Wishes
David
Both the Pasadena/Glendale and Los Angeles County libraries offer digital ebook downloads you can borrow. You have to have a library card to use the feature. I have only done the Pasadena library so far, and they allow you to "check out" a max of 5 ebooks at a time each for 14 days, after which the file is no longer usable. You have to use Adobe Digital Editions to check out the books and transfer to the PRS-505. It's pretty simple once you get the hang of it.

So far, the format is not the best but not terrible. I read it on medium and every other page is almost blank or contains 1-3 lines of text (overflow from the previous "page"). But again, its free!

I'm guessing smaller cities and less populated areas may not have libraries with a digital download section?? I'm not sure though...
Old 09-02-2008, 09:48 PM   #12
mollybo
Connoisseur
mollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with others

Device: Rocket eBook, Gemstar, and Kindle 3
My library only lets you "check out" books to read in a web browser. It absolutely varies by state/city/region.
mollybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:29 AM   #13
Bitgod
Enthusiast
Bitgod began at the beginning.

Device: iPad / PRS-600 / iPhone 3G
Good, I was looking for feedback like this. I just noticed the trade-in offer and was trying to see if the difference was worth the upgrade. I may just do it later this year. Just thought to check ebay to see what the resale value is on the 500, it looks like it is a little more than $100, but you certainly don't have to hassle with shipping (if I go to the store) and if I'm going to get jerked around by a buyer.
Bitgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:15 AM   #14
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybo View Post
My library only lets you "check out" books to read in a web browser. It absolutely varies by state/city/region.
You can't load it on your PRS-505? Strange, I have 2 cards from New York one from Miami with no problem. Once you have it load it on DE Digital software, it's easy to move it to the PRS-505.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote