Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 04:49 PM   #16
mgans
mgans began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo A1
And again: Is the problem of not downloading larger files via wifi in the browser, solved in the newest FW: 4.4.9349?
Old 05-24-2017, 12:12 AM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgans View Post
And again: Is the problem of not downloading larger files via wifi in the browser, solved in the newest FW: 4.4.9349?
Why "Again"? Have you asked whether it was fixed in 4.4.9349 before and not gotten a response?

And no, it wasn't fixed in 4.4.9349. It was fixed before that in 4.4.9298.
Advert
Old 05-24-2017, 12:55 AM   #18
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Why "Again"? Have you asked whether it was fixed in 4.4.9349 before and not gotten a response?

And no, it wasn't fixed in 4.4.9349. It was fixed before that in 4.4.9298.
That's great news. So I no longer have to resize a book anymore. I was on a older firmware like the OP. The latest one just showed up tonight so I haven't tested it yet.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 05-26-2017, 05:11 PM   #19
mgans

Great news that it's fixed. And davidfor, thanks for answering my question.
However I still can't download the epub version from the website of my newspaper with FW 4.4.9349.
Pushing the link it asks to download the file, but after confirming it doesn't start downloading.
Using the old firmware (4.0.7523) I didn't had any issues downloading from this website.
If I download the same epub on a pc or raspberry-pi and use those as a webserver, I'm able to download this epub via the Kobo browser with the new FW.
So the large epub file can't be the problem.
Does anyone knows why I can download the file from my own webserver, but not anymore from the website with FW 4.4.9349?
Old 05-27-2017, 01:52 AM   #20
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, I don't know. The main reason I use the browser is to test problems that people see. But, it does depend on how the site presents the download. Javascript, redirects, Flash and other things can affect what happens. The browser on the device does not have the same features as those you are using on a PC.

I've done some basic testing, and it does work. I can download from Project Gutenberg and I can download a DRM free epub from the Kobo library. I usually test with the calibre server, but, the browser isn't working with the v3 beta. Beyond that, I would need to see the site you are having problems with.

Edit: I should have said:

The simplest reason for the browser not to download the file is because the server is not setting the correct MIME type. The browser is probably stricter about this than a browser on a PC. Or, on the PC, at sometime in the past, you have told the browser to handle the files based on the file extension.

Last edited by davidfor; 05-27-2017 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Added comment about MIME type.
Advert
Old 05-27-2017, 09:54 AM   #21
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Dropbox works. Even better since they redesign their site.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 05-27-2017, 06:56 PM   #22
mgans

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The simplest reason for the browser not to download the file is because the server is not setting the correct MIME type. The browser is probably stricter about this than a browser on a PC. Or, on the PC, at sometime in the past, you have told the browser to handle the files based on the file extension.
An example of the url / file I want to download is: http://digitaleeditie.nrc.nl/digital..._20170527.epub
It's behind a login so unfortunately you can't check the website.
But if I understand you right the problem is on the server side.
The server from my newspaper probably doesn't has the right setup to send the correct MIME types?

I will ask them to take a look at it.
I've got a paid subscription so I hope they want to make the necessary adjustments on their side.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:13 PM   #23
apiontek
apiontek began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Neither dropbox nor calibre epub downloads work for me. I'm on a kobo glo hd, running 4.5.9587. *sigh* ... it's been months since I used my kobo, wanted to get back into using it while on summer break, finally pulled it out and find this problem. Granted, not a killer since I can use a cable, but a big summer bummer.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:24 PM   #24
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by apiontek View Post
Neither dropbox nor calibre epub downloads work for me. I'm on a kobo glo hd, running 4.5.9587. *sigh* ... it's been months since I used my kobo, wanted to get back into using it while on summer break, finally pulled it out and find this problem. Granted, not a killer since I can use a cable, but a big summer bummer.
It's completely broke with 4.5 but Gmail works. If I find anything else that works I'll let you know. On Gmail you click the icon by the attachment to download.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 08-07-2017, 04:55 PM   #25
loscar
loscar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Auda
I'm having the same problem, and I'm very disappointed since I use my Kobo for years... always downloading epub files. Is the MIME type confirmed ? Any idea for a workaround ?
Thanks.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:11 PM   #26
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by loscar View Post
I'm having the same problem, and I'm very disappointed since I use my Kobo for years... always downloading epub files. Is the MIME type confirmed ? Any idea for a workaround ?
Thanks.
Gmail is the only thing I found that works unless you downgrade your Kobo to 4.3.8966*or below but each firmware may or may not have its own issues.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Last edited by Blossom; 08-07-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:57 PM   #27
astroner
astroner began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
same here ! after update i cant download book from browser on my kobo
Drive: kobo aura
firmware: 4.5.9587

Last edited by astroner; 08-07-2017 at 11:59 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:54 AM   #28
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Gmail is the only thing I found that works unless you downgrade your Kobo to 4.3.8966*or below but each firmware may or may not have its own issues.
Except that you are the only person who has reported any problems with the 4.4.x firmware and downloading files via the browser. My tests on multiple sites worked. You only had issues with Dropbox. Of course, you have been adamant in saying downloading from Dropbox with the 4.4.x firmware didn't work, but above you categorically state it does:
Quote:
Dropbox works. Even better since they redesign their site.

Sent from my XT1528
I really wish you would get your story straight.

And of course, recommending a 4.3.x firmware is a great considering it couldn't download files larger than 2MB.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:43 AM   #29
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I was on 4.3 firmware when I said Dropbox works even better. Look at the date on that post. It's old. I upgraded to the last 4.4 firmware and it no longer worked. Gmail epub attachments work with 4.5.

I never had a problem with large files after Dropbox change their site that fixed the issue with them not downloading for me.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 08-08-2017, 11:59 PM   #30
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I was on 4.3 firmware when I said Dropbox works even better. Look at the date on that post. It's old. I upgraded to the last 4.4 firmware and it no longer worked. Gmail epub attachments work with 4.5.

I never had a problem with large files after Dropbox change their site that fixed the issue with them not downloading for me.

Sent from my XT1528
Why on earth in a thread discussing fixes to the browser in 4.4.9349 would you make a post about an OLDER firmware working better? And earlier in the thread you posted earlier in the thread:

Quote:
That's great news. So I no longer have to resize a book anymore. I was on a older firmware like the OP. The latest one just showed up tonight so I haven't tested it yet.

Sent from my Nexus 7
The first post I quoted is timestamped "05-27-2017, 11:54 PM". The above is timestamped "05-24-2017, 02:55 PM". And of course, over in the 4..4.9344 firmware thread, at "05-24-2017, 02:50 PM".

Quote:
Update just came through. I was on something with 66 I think, so like three or four behind. I like the new home screen and menu. I'll patch tommorow.

Sent from my Nexus 7
So your post that Dropbox was working was posted three days after you started running the 4.4.9344/4.4.9349 firmware.

I can only say, WTF?
Closed Thread

Tags
browse, dowloading, kobo a1