Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-16-2016, 07:01 PM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
B&N CEO Fired

Barnes & Noble fires CEO, labeling him 'not a good fit'

Quote:
The board of book store chain Barnes & Noble announced Tuesday that it has ousted CEO Ronald D. Boire, saying he “was not a good fit for the organization."

Boire, who had been on the job less than a year, will be replaced by Executive Chairman Leonard Riggio, the company announced. Riggio formerly served as Barnes & Noble CEO and had planned to stay until Sept. 14, but he has now postponed retirement until a permanent successor can be found. The company said the search for a replacement will begin immediately.

Barnes and Noble's board didn't give a more specific reason for Boire's departure, adding only that "it was in the best interests of all parties for him to leave the company.”
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:26 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
This is number what, now?

Also, can a moderator please move this thread? It isn't "news".

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-16-2016 at 07:29 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2016, 08:05 PM   #3
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
This solidifies my view that it is Riggio who is in charge, regardless of who has the CEO title.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:08 PM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
About time, eh?

I know nothing about the management other than they are clearly incompetent.
I used to shop there all the time, but it's has been useless for almost 10 years now....

Last edited by kennyc; 08-16-2016 at 08:40 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:35 PM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
I wonder if that kills the plans for restaurants and booze sales.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2016, 08:38 PM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I thought they were putting in tattoo parlors?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:36 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
2002-2010 Stephen Riggio (Leonard Riggio's brother)
2010-2013 William Lynch
2014-2015 Michael P. Huseby
2015-2016 Ronald D. Boire
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:30 AM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I thought they were putting in tattoo parlors?
Tanning beds: read a book, get a faux tan.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:19 AM   #9
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
If I had a local B&N I could put in a jewelry repair nook.
I was in Atlanta a couple of weeks ago and went to a B&N. The upstairs section used to be all fiction and a children's section. There used to be approximately 10 rows of shelves of general fiction in the center with the others on the walls. Now general fiction is two and a half rows and most of the space is taken up with toys and crap.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:58 AM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
If I had a local B&N I could put in a jewelry repair nook.
I was in Atlanta a couple of weeks ago and went to a B&N. The upstairs section used to be all fiction and a children's section. There used to be approximately 10 rows of shelves of general fiction in the center with the others on the walls. Now general fiction is two and a half rows and most of the space is taken up with toys and crap.
Apache
B&N was a great place back in the 90's and 00's, but they forgot what made B&N so good, i.e. the experience. It was a place for people who love books. You could go and either buy or order any book that was in print. They had knowledgeable clerks who could steer you in the right direction. You could buy some books, get a cup of coffee and settle down and read. They had a pretty good customer rewards system in place as well. Adding music and movies to the mix didn't change the experience, but when they started adding toys and games, then it became less inviting to their core customers.

They really had a legit shot in the ebook market with the nook, their problem was they saw that as two separate business, when the two business should have complemented each other. I should have been able to scan in a title in the physical store and it pop up in the ebook store if they had it. If it was part of a series, they could have shown the other books in the series, or other books by that author under the book you scanned.

Look how Apple has their Apple store app integrated with the physical Apple store. I can order something on line, and pick it up at the Apple store a couple of hours later. I can pick up something in the store, scan it via the apple store app, pay for it and walk out, all without having to wait in line.

More than anything, their failure was they lost touch with their customers.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:21 AM   #11
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I really miss my local B&N. I liked being able to browse the shelves, flip through pages, etc. It was the last bookstore in my local area.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:07 AM   #12
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
B&N was a great place back in the 90's and 00's, but they forgot what made B&N so good, i.e. the experience. It was a place for people who love books. You could go and either buy or order any book that was in print. They had knowledgeable clerks who could steer you in the right direction. You could buy some books, get a cup of coffee and settle down and read. They had a pretty good customer rewards system in place as well. Adding music and movies to the mix didn't change the experience, but when they started adding toys and games, then it became less inviting to their core customers.

They really had a legit shot in the ebook market with the nook, their problem was they saw that as two separate business, when the two business should have complemented each other. I should have been able to scan in a title in the physical store and it pop up in the ebook store if they had it. If it was part of a series, they could have shown the other books in the series, or other books by that author under the book you scanned.

Look how Apple has their Apple store app integrated with the physical Apple store. I can order something on line, and pick it up at the Apple store a couple of hours later. I can pick up something in the store, scan it via the apple store app, pay for it and walk out, all without having to wait in line.

The people in the store should have been able to help with problems with your nook such as sending it back for warranty repair. Also hardware and software problems
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:13 AM   #13
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post

Also, can a moderator please move this thread? It isn't "news".

Well, we don't have an SSDD forum to move it to.

It is somewhat amusing that I have never seen a "Similar Threads" section full of threads so freakishly similar as the one at the bottom of this page.

(SSDD means, politely, "Same Stuff, Different Day" but you get geek points if your first thought was "Single Sided, Double Density.")

Last edited by ApK; 08-17-2016 at 11:19 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:19 PM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Well, we don't have an SSDD forum to move it to.

It is somewhat amusing that I have never seen a "Similar Threads" section full of threads so freakishly similar as the one at the bottom of this page.

(SSDD means, politely, "Same Stuff, Different Day" but you get geek points if your first thought was "Single Sided, Double Density.")
180Kb.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:17 PM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post

You're confusing B&N with Borders!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote