Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 07-05-2016, 09:35 AM   #1
Steve_Haley
CC iOS Developer
Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Variety phones/tablets
Arrow Calibre Companion for iPhone has been started!

Hello everyone,

I'd like to announce that Calibre Companion for iPhone has been started. It's been a long time coming! To reintroduce myself, I worked with Chaley on the original Android version a few years ago.

We're still a way off from making a public iPhone version, but the community here has been so fantastic in helping us test that we'd like to ask again. Who would like to be an alpha tester? Obviously you'll need an iPhone or iPad. Update: we now have enough people for the initial test, thanks to everyone who volunteered.

The plan would be to send a version out in about two weeks. It will contain the basic functions for CC: connecting 'as a wireless device', syncing books, sorting and the grouping drawer, and handing books over to a reader app. Testing the connecting is the main thing we'd like help with, as that took us quite a while to get right last time round.

After that initial version, the timeline is a bit more vague. It took chaley and me a few months to get the original CC Android version ready. This time round will be a bit quicker, but it will still take at least a month. So please don't get too excited, even though we do realise you've waited a long time for this. (This time, it will be nice to skip some of the errors we made with the first version. For example, we originally thought people would only want to have 10 to 50 books on their devices at one time. That clearly turned out to be wrong as people now routinely have thousands of books!)

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by Steve_Haley; 07-07-2016 at 05:15 AM.
Steve_Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:54 AM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I have an iPad 2. If that is right, I would like to be a tester.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2016, 12:09 PM   #3
Steve_Haley
CC iOS Developer
Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I have an iPad 2. If that is right, I would like to be a tester.
Our first volunteer! I don't think there would be any problems with testing on an iPad 2. Once we're a bit closer to the time, all I'll need is your email address and then we can start the process.

Testing apps from outside of Apple's Appstore has a bit more hassle than testing Android apps, but it's still relatively straightforward. I'll write more detailed instructions later, but the basic process is we have to first tell Apple that the app is allowed to be installed on your iPad, and only then can we send you a download link. We use a service called Fabric Crashlytics that makes this easy to manage.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:44 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Best news! I love CC and being able to use it (eventually) on my iPhone would be great.

I currently have an iPhone 6 and would be willing to test.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:57 PM   #5
dee342
Dee
dee342 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone and Palm
I have an iPhone, an iPad and an iPad mini. I would love to test.
dee342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2016, 09:03 PM   #6
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Can you add me to your tester list?

I have:
-iphone 6
-ipad pro 9.7

Thanks, I'm sooo excited by this.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:15 PM   #7
millydog
Connoisseur
millydog doesn't littermillydog doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPhone X, iPad Pro
I would love to be involved in testing this. I am a senior software engineer in my day job and I have the following devices:
iPhone 6s
iPad Pro 9.7"
iPad Pro 12.9"
Cheers,
Jodi
millydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:28 AM   #8
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I would love to test this too as I miss CC from my Android days.

I have a iPhone 6 Plus, iPad mini and iPad Pro 12.9"

Thanks
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:05 AM   #9
Secondmates
Secondmates began at the beginning.

Device: IPad
I have an iPad Air and would be happy to test.
Secondmates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:53 AM   #10
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Haley View Post
Our first volunteer! I don't think there would be any problems with testing on an iPad 2. Once we're a bit closer to the time, all I'll need is your email address and then we can start the process.

Testing apps from outside of Apple's Appstore has a bit more hassle than testing Android apps, but it's still relatively straightforward. I'll write more detailed instructions later, but the basic process is we have to first tell Apple that the app is allowed to be installed on your iPad, and only then can we send you a download link. We use a service called Fabric Crashlytics that makes this easy to manage.
Thank you, I hope not to have any problem. Anyway, as I'll be mainly in vacation with restricted internet access and even more restricted internet time since July, 24 till August, 15, any request in that period will have a slower answer
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:27 AM   #11
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I have an old iPad mini, and would like to be a tester if you still need testers. I already use CC on my Lenovo tablet.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:07 AM   #12
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
If you are still looking for testers, I've got an iPad pro, iPad mini and iPhone 6 plus.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:40 AM   #13
Steve_Haley
CC iOS Developer

Thanks everyone - it's been great to see so many replies so quickly.

Looking at the devices people have been listing, I think we now have enough people with iPads. We've got the full spread of old, new, mini, original-size and pro covered. However, the majority of iPhones are 6 or 6s. So I'd like a few more testers, but it would need to be people who have older model phones like the 5 or 5s.

I might as well get your email addresses now so I can finalise this list. I didn't expect so many volunteers quite so quickly! So if you could PM them to me, or email me at steve@multipie.co.uk (mentioning your MobileRead username), I'll put those in my list. We will still stick to the schedule of the first alpha version in about 2 weeks.

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2016, 06:13 AM   #14
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
I don't have an iphone, but I have an ipod 5th gen. If I remember correctly that model is more similar to iphone 4, but I would be happy to help test if needed.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:55 AM   #15
vedri
vedri began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Hi!

I would be grateful to test Calibre companion, my devices are Ipad 3 and Ipod 4.
vedri is offline   Reply With Quote