Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-27-2016, 01:39 PM   #46
jswinden
Gone Fishing
jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingies
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
How? I can't imagine that there was ever a plan for sound hardware on this thing, with its extreme weight constraints. More likely this is a mistaken addition...
It could be just a generic bit of stuff added for future use on other Kindles, perhaps a future Kindle, that will use the same FW. Does the Oasis have a stereo jack for plugging in a headset? If not then these sound files are for some other Kindle.
jswinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2016, 01:39 PM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
It will surprise nobody to find that the occasionally advertised 4GiB capacity is actually, uh, 3GiB available (minus the hundred megabyte plus for this mysterious voice content) and I guess a gigabyte in the system partition. So it's not quite twice as capacious as a PW1, rather than the nearly three times I was expecting. (Of course, Amazon just say 'thousands of books', but people have been saying 4GiB in various places for some time. It's not, any more than the PW1 was 2GiB. I'd guess there's a *lot* of room for expansion spare on the system partition...)
The Voyage has about three and a quarter GB user storage. I imagine the Oasis is similar?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 01:39 PM   #48
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3G, Voyage WiFi;FireHD; Kobo: Aura One, Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptwithal View Post
I'm one of those who reads with the backlighting all the way down.

Without the backlighting, does the Oasis have any screen differences compared to the Paperwhite 300 ppi using the same font?

Thanks -- I know this is a niche question.

I think you mean 'front lighting'.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 01:43 PM   #49
Derek87
Connoisseur
Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW3
IT's great to hear some first impressions. my wish lists of tests and feedback as i think i read my kindle in perhaps a unique way:

- how well does the Oasis work at auto sensing orientation/hand if and when one reads on their back in bed (with the kindle held above their head). i own a PW which i read typically without a case in bed. i am interested in the Oasis for its reduction in weightl. i hold my PW in a funky way so that it doesn't feel heavy (i form an L with my thumb and hand to brace the lower corner), but i often swap hands because in time, one hand/arm grows weary.

- how is the backlight evenness in the dark at a setting of say 6-8? this is where i find my wife and my PW shows a lot of imperfections on the edge and show some uneven lighting, yet this the light level we read ours at in the dark before going to sleep.

thanks for any thoughts/feedback on these two particular scenarios.
Derek87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 01:48 PM   #50
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV
I'd love to see photos of all the Merlot covers you guys receive --- I want to see what the variations are (brightness, etc) before I decide what color I want to order. Because leather never takes color identically, the way that plastic does. Thanks Mickey330 for your pics. Other folks, if you could??

I'd also like to see pics of brown covers -- it almost looks like a brushed suede on one early video, but that wouldn't be consistent with the Merlot pics we've had.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2016, 02:15 PM   #51
NullNix
Fanatic
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Voyage has about three and a quarter GB user storage. I imagine the Oasis is similar?
It's down to 3GiB precisely.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:16 PM   #52
NullNix
Fanatic
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
It could be just a generic bit of stuff added for future use on other Kindles, perhaps a future Kindle, that will use the same FW. Does the Oasis have a stereo jack for plugging in a headset? If not then these sound files are for some other Kindle.
Rumours (and firmware) say Bluetooth speakers, but whether there is actually Bluetooth hardware in there will have to wait for someone rich and/or foolhardy enough to do a teardown -- i.e. we'll probably know by tomorrow!
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:57 PM   #53
Wearever
Fanatic
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Kindle hdx 8.9, Kindle PW3, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulyB View Post
I'm new, but I've been lurking while I've been waiting for my new Merlot Oasis to turn up. It's finally here!

I'm really pleased with it, especially because my previous kindle was a Paperwhite 1, which I loved, but I'd be the first to admit that the screen was blotchy green and pink and the LEDs are completely visible. And, with the case, it's heavy.

The Oasis is exactly what I hoped the Paperwhite would be when I ordered it three and a half years ago. The screen is even whiter than the walls of my house! It's easy to read in direct sunlight - I tried it out this morning, and I live in Spain, so you can imagine that the sun can get quite strong even in April. Anyway, it looks perfect in all conditions.

The LEDs are almost, but not quite invisible - they certainly don't cast any shadows, and the colour is perfectly uniform across the whole surface. It's much brighter than my Paperwhite, much faster, and the touchscreen is far more sensitive.

I was a little worried at first about how I would know the status of the battery, but it's in the settings when you tap on it, so it's easy to see if there's any juice.

The red cover is very nice, quite subtle, not garish, and expensive feeling - it does give me the sense of holding an old book. Even with the cover on, it feels surprisingly light. The new fonts are great, the screen, compared to my old reader, seems to allow my eyes to relax in a way the previous one did not.

I'm honestly trying to find something wrong with it and failing. I suppose the only issue is the price, but for me this was a birthday gift! So I have nothing. I love it.
Thank's JulyB , for your comments on your new Oasis. Especially your comments on reading in direct sun light in Spain. I think your right if you can read on it without glare there ( Spain) you can read on it anywhere ! Now I just need to see one in the store !

And Happy Birthday !

Last edited by Wearever; 04-27-2016 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Add comment
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:45 PM   #54
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptwithal View Post
I'm one of those who reads with the backlighting all the way down.

Without the backlighting, does the Oasis have any screen differences compared to the Paperwhite 300 ppi using the same font?
It should be basically identical to the Voyage, which means it will be better than the PW3. I've held them both, and honestly, the Voyage is sharper because the layer for the lighting on the Voyage doesn't wind up obscuring the screen as much (it's almost like the PW3 has a sort of "watery" look to it).
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:52 PM   #55
jswinden
Gone Fishing
jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingies
Quote:
Rumours (and firmware) say Bluetooth speakers, but whether there is actually Bluetooth hardware in there will have to wait for someone rich and/or foolhardy enough to do a teardown -- i.e. we'll probably know by tomorrow!
Anything is possible, but I think the drain of BT on an already small battery (when no cover is attached) would not have been a smart addition on Amazon's part. Also I seriously doubt Amazon would release their newest and greatest Kindle without all the hardware functioning from the get go. They have never done that in the past, AFAIK. More than likely it is meant for another or a future Kindle, or perhaps the code was developed but the decision was made to kill the sound feature and no one thought to remove the files. It wouldn't be the first time that hardware and software groups failed to communicate properly on a project.
jswinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:53 PM   #56
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Yes indeed, it's in there, and I have no idea why. It's not as if the Oasis has the hardware to do anything with it.
Not yet, anyway.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:03 PM   #57
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 1,2,3, Kindle DX, Onyx M96, Onyx i86 Plus, Onyx Boox Max
Can the front light completely disabled?
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:30 PM   #58
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K Keyboard, HDX, KBasic 4, 5, 7 & 8, Nook ST, Glo, HD+, Echos
Thanks for all the lovely photos!! I'm envious, but just got my Voyage 2 months ago, so have to wait for a new toy. i do have a question. I know you mentioned that the COVER doesn't have a USB port, but I presume that it comes with some way of charging it as it is a battery boost, right? What sort of plug does it use?
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:33 PM   #59
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey330 View Post
Here's a shot of just the screen. ...

I don't see any unevenness ...
I see atrocious typography.
Please notice the lack of hyphenation.

Look at the spaces between words in the first and second line of the first paragraph and the two last lines on page.

Premium reader ...
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:35 PM   #60
newkindlefun
Enthusiast
newkindlefun is a splendid one to beholdnewkindlefun is a splendid one to beholdnewkindlefun is a splendid one to beholdnewkindlefun is a splendid one to beholdnewkindlefun is a splendid one to beholdnewkindlefun is a splendid one to beholdnewkindlefun is a splendid one to beholdnewkindlefun is a splendid one to beholdnewkindlefun is a splendid one to beholdnewkindlefun is a splendid one to beholdnewkindlefun is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1st gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Thanks for all the lovely photos!! I'm envious, but just got my Voyage 2 months ago, so have to wait for a new toy. i do have a question. I know you mentioned that the COVER doesn't have a USB port, but I presume that it comes with some way of charging it as it is a battery boost, right? What sort of plug does it use?
It charges when it's magnetically attached to the Kindle itself.
newkindlefun is offline   Reply With Quote