Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-10-2016, 09:55 PM   #16
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Glo HD, Aura H2O, Mini
It's not illegal for people who have it legally.

I got it from my Kindle. So I have it legally. It's on one of my Kobos, but I never use Bookerly. I prefer Charis.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2016, 10:11 PM   #17
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Wife: Touch, Arc, Vox Me: Nexus 7, Glo
Um.... Just because you obtain it from a device you own does not mean it is legal. It might be but you would have to read the licensing agreement from Amazon to see if that is included.

It's the same as saying that because you own a copy of Windows, you have a license to copy any of it's fonts to where ever you wish,

Regardless of the legality, we should just try to figure out why the original poster does not have the advanced font options present.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:44 PM   #18
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by machoman121 View Post
I tried the patch - the patch went OK but i can't see any difference.

***Update*** hang on - i realise now i'm supposed to go into the patch files and enable the functions I want to use.....will report back.

**Update** - patch attempt 2. No changes. There's no advance Bookerly font adjustment available.
I would just try patching again; download a fresh copy of the patch and start from the beginning. Trying to work out where you went wrong would take longer than just doing it over.

I haven't tried Bookerly specifically, but the patch just enables the "Advanced" button giving access to the advanced font menu for all fonts, if you can select the font on the device then that much will work. If the font is not in TTF format or has something wrong with it then the adjustments you make on the advanced menu might not take effect in the book, but the menu should still be there regardless.

Edit: If it still doesn't work, PM me with a link to a copy of the KoboRoot.tgz that you copied to the device, and I can probably work out from that what the problem is.

Last edited by GeoffR; 04-10-2016 at 11:54 PM. Reason: If it still doesn't work, ...
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:15 AM   #19
machoman121
machoman121 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kindle DX, Kindle Touch
Thanks everyone for your help - in trying to get another patch going i noticed i had actually enabled the wrong function - i thought the Custom font size function was it ( wrong! ). I then had an idea and then seached for the word 'advance' in the patcher and it brought me straight to the advance font section - EUREKA !!!! Ran the patcher and BINGO- I now have the advance function on the Bookerly font.

Thanks for staying with me. The Kobo flexibility is fantastic compared to my very staid kindle touch. I'm rapt.

The Bookerly font actually italizes very well - bolded and clear.
machoman121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:50 AM   #20
rashkae
Fanatic
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I'm glad you got the patches working. That's probably the best way to go. But for posterity, and anyone else finding this thread.

It suffices to simply add a line in your ereader.conf file, in the [Reading] section:

readingFontWeight\Bookerly=0.20

0.20 is probably a bit too dark/bold, but adjust that to taste. You might have to restart the Kobo after changing this file for the effects to be visible.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2016, 12:24 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycymru View Post
Can someone please direct me instructions on how to download and install the bookerly font

Thanks
I will tell you where to get the Bookerly font. You can get it from the firmware for Kindle Paperwhite or Voyage. There is a tool someplace ON MR is the Kindle Developers forum that will let you unpack a Kindle firmware file. Then you have to get into that and find the font files.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:26 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
That would be illegal.

On the topic, FontForge works much better than the patch.
Sorry, but no. The advanced font controls work better because they are easier to use. Both work, but the advanced font controls work better in one important way. You can change the weight as it suits. So if you decide the weight you were using was too dark or not dark enough, easy to change. Doing so to the font files is not as easy and to drop the weight, you would need the original files.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:44 AM   #23
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD & iPad Air 2
I agree that it is much, much easier. But FontForge gives better looking font files. If I have to choose between aesthetics and easy of use, first one will always win =)
GERGE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:46 AM   #24
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW 1, 2, and 3, Voyage, Oasis 2, Kindle Fire, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Lynx
Quote:
I agree that it is much, much easier. But FontForge gives better looking font files. If I have to choose between aesthetics and easy of use, first one will always win =)
Isn't it wonderful how people are different! I'm the exact opposite. "Aesthetics" mean nothing to me...my preference is always function over form.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:09 AM   #25
the.Mtn.Man
Evangelist
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Um.... Just because you obtain it from a device you own does not mean it is legal. It might be but you would have to read the licensing agreement from Amazon to see if that is included.

It's the same as saying that because you own a copy of Windows, you have a license to copy any of it's fonts to where ever you wish...
I don't see how it's any different than ripping a CD to MP3 and putting it on a portable music player. This is where fair use laws come into play, provided it's exclusively for your own personal use.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:48 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Please show me how fontforge gives a better looking font files when viewed on an H2O.