Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-16-2015, 04:28 PM   #46
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I want to see some of those horrible covers.

I have a fish that's been sitting on the dinner table for three weeks. Are those old covers that bad?

Here's the 'Battle Nightie'
http://www.dendarii.co.uk/Covers/American/twa.jpg

http://www.dendarii.co.uk/Covers/

But only to 2002

http://dendarii.com/artists.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	twa.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	142904  
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:08 PM   #47
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
I remember seeing that at Borders...
...and moving on.

I got into Bujold much later, with the ebook omnibuses.
(Cordelia's honor.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2015, 08:58 AM   #48
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Indeed and here is Barrayar on Amazon ahead of Lois's posts
Lois' post

https://www.goodreads.com/author_blo...eveal-barrayar

Lois> Readers are welcome to suggest what the shadow means to them. I interpret it as the shadow of the past, which looms large over the whole story, but other takes are possible...

I add the new Baen cover for the tpb reprint (January 2016)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Barrayar 1331527.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	142912   Click image for larger version

Name:	Baen Barrayar 9781625793959.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	142914  
Old 10-17-2015, 10:16 AM   #49
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Well, as depicted, the shadow originates half from Cordelia and half from Aral so it can just as easily be Miles looming in the future of their union.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 01:58 PM   #50
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
Quote:
Lois' post

Lois> Readers are welcome to suggest what the shadow means to them. I interpret it as the shadow of the past, which looms large over the whole story, but other takes are possible...
It takes 2 people to make the great man that Aral remains. He was cracking, Cordelia's font of honor saved him. Perhaps the duo-as-one saved all Barrayar, Kormarr, and Serglier (sp?) for where would they be without the honorable regency and Gregor's upbringing. Its the Great Man looking at who makes him.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2015, 10:46 AM   #51
Little.Egret
Wizard

And here's Lois's new eCover for The Vor Game

https://www.goodreads.com/author_blo...l-the-vor-game

I see it as "the strategy tree"; other interpretations possible.
==
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	The Vor Game 1332040.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	143009  
Old 10-29-2015, 09:54 PM   #52
Little.Egret
Wizard

And now Memory

https://www.goodreads.com/author_blo...-reveal-memory

"This one that I finally chose was actually the simplest image but, I thought, the most truly evocative."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Memory 1336741.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	143288  
Old 10-31-2015, 08:32 AM   #53
Little.Egret
Wizard

Mirror Dance

https://www.goodreads.com/author_blo...l-mirror-dance

"pretty straightforward, although Ron managed to get a little innovation out of the traditional idea."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mirror Dance 1336802.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	143337  
Old 10-31-2015, 10:39 AM   #54
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Interesting, all of them. As a reader who fell in love with an online sample* of the short story "Borders of Infinity" (the single story) and then went on to buy all the ebooks -- I've mostly not seen ANY covers. Ebooks open straight to the first page, and bypass the covers. So I don't have any preconceived ideas of the series.

Although I must admit I bought Cryoburn DTB long before I was up to that book in the series -- BECAUSE I wanted that CD so I could have all the back books. That was exactly when I discovered the whole series. When I got up to that book, I also bought it in ebook form, because I wanted to read it that way. I've bought all books since that, as soon as available in ebook format.

I'm pretty sure it was Lois's own web site that had "Borders of Infinity" offered for free, online. Dunno how I stumbled on it, but BOY was I hooked, hard.

*not just a sample, it was the whole story. And a chapter or two of "Brothers in Arms", so I started that without knowing it wasn't all there! Arghhh!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 04:09 PM   #55
Little.Egret
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Interesting, all of them. As a reader who fell in love with an online sample* of the short story "Borders of Infinity" (the single story) and then went on to buy all the ebooks -- I've mostly not seen ANY covers. Ebooks open straight to the first page, and bypass the covers. So I don't have any preconceived ideas of the series.

Although I must admit I bought Cryoburn DTB long before I was up to that book in the series -- BECAUSE I wanted that CD so I could have all the back books. That was exactly when I discovered the whole series. When I got up to that book, I also bought it in ebook form, because I wanted to read it that way. I've bought all books since that, as soon as available in ebook format.

I'm pretty sure it was Lois's own web site that had "Borders of Infinity" offered for free, online. Dunno how I stumbled on it, but BOY was I hooked, hard.

*not just a sample, it was the whole story. And a chapter or two of "Brothers in Arms", so I started that without knowing it wasn't all there! Arghhh!

It would have been the Baen web site and the sample chapters for the 2002 Omnibus Miles Errant

http://www.baenebooks.com/chapters/0...5583.htm?blurb

Miles Errant contained "Borders of Infinity", Brothers in Arms, Mirror Dance

No longer available for sale as an ebook but on the CD you mention.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:50 AM   #56
Little.Egret
Wizard

A Civil Campaign

https://www.goodreads.com/author_blo...civil-campaign

"There were three tries at this one -- the one chosen was actually the first, which makes me feel a bit guilty. Note the maple leaf on the back of the butterbug."

"This was one of the other trials. It amused me deeply, but the realistic style of the wineglass didn't match well with the rest of the set, I thought."

"A third entry showed a strand of DNA and two little silhouette figures, one male and one female, chasing each other up/down its ladder, but we already had DNA on two other covers. It was a cool idea that deserves to be recycled someday, though."

Ron the artist commented "I didn't care at all for the DNA cover... it was an idea suggested by one of Lois' readers so I thought, why not, let's try it out. But I wasn't happy with it at all. "
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A Civil Campaign 1338197.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	143501   Click image for larger version

Name:	ACC reject 1338200.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	143502   Click image for larger version

Name:	ACC reject2 1341409.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	143558  

Last edited by Little.Egret; 11-07-2015 at 08:05 PM. Reason: add another reject
Old 11-09-2015, 10:16 PM   #57
Little.Egret
Wizard

Captain Vorpatril's Alliance -- UK and World

https://www.goodreads.com/author_blo...--uk-and-world

"This should be up in a couple of days -- but only for our UK and World direct e-placements. Baen retains the e-license for North America, so their edition will continue to be marketed here.

The artists always seem to want to paint the blue girl..."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Captain Vorpatril's Alliance 1341394.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	143600  
Old 11-14-2015, 05:53 PM   #58
Little.Egret
Wizard

And the last two with a view of the future.

https://www.goodreads.com/author_blo...q-uk-and-world

Cryoburn

This version of the CryoBurn cover was a late offering of Ron's; I'd been about to settle for the first version, below. But I thought this was much cooler (if not chillier) and way more thematic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CryoBurn 1341398.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	143737   Click image for larger version

Name:	CB one 1341403.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	143738  
Old 11-14-2015, 05:59 PM   #59
Little.Egret
Wizard

Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen

And, finally, the cover for the upcoming Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen. This was done in one pass, possibly not only for fatigue on both our parts, but because Ron had already done the cover for Baen, so we'd had a lot of discussion about it earlier.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen 1341402.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	143739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Baen Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen A9781476781228.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	143740  
Old 11-14-2015, 06:11 PM   #60
Little.Egret
Wizard

https://www.goodreads.com/author_blo...poster-at-last

And if you would like a poster of all of these covers

https://society6.com/product/the-vor...opularegm#1=45

Also

https://www.goodreads.com/author_blo...ing-room-floor
https://www.goodreads.com/author_blo...ing-room-floor

and from Dave Seeley

http://www.daveseeley.com/p245060177...c0c3#h18c0c0c3
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ron Miller poster 25579564_5979368_pm.jpg