Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-03-2014, 03:37 PM   #1
finallygreen
finallygreen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Noob, failing to understand folder structure

Hello!

So, I did manage to find the post that tells me that I should leave folder structure to Calibre, but as a large part of what I have in Calibre are monthly magazines/periodicals, I'm struggling to find a way to have what I'm after.

All I want are for my magazines to wind up in a structure that goes "Magazine Name/Magazine Name - Publishing Date.xxx" I also want Calibre to add the files automatically.

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, I'm going to have to FIRST place the files (already named in a way that I'd be more than happy to keep!) into one "temp" folder, so that Calibre can then move them into it's own folder structure (which seems to insist on starting with subfolders based on publisher names, which I do NOT want), so that I can THEN use "Save to Disk" to finally get Calibre to respect MY preferred folder structure and then save these files into a third location.

This seems crazy, so I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong. Can someone help me with this?
finallygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:01 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by finallygreen View Post
Hello!

So, I did manage to find the post that tells me that I should leave folder structure to Calibre, but as a large part of what I have in Calibre are monthly magazines/periodicals, I'm struggling to find a way to have what I'm after.

All I want are for my magazines to wind up in a structure that goes "Magazine Name/Magazine Name - Publishing Date.xxx" I also want Calibre to add the files automatically.

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, I'm going to have to FIRST place the files (already named in a way that I'd be more than happy to keep!) into one "temp" folder, so that Calibre can then move them into it's own folder structure (which seems to insist on starting with subfolders based on publisher names, which I do NOT want), so that I can THEN use "Save to Disk" to finally get Calibre to respect MY preferred folder structure and then save these files into a third location.

This seems crazy, so I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong. Can someone help me with this?
You are doing Calibres Job and making thing hard on youself.

Calibre is your 'Librarian'
Use the GUI to find, deliver or view books. There is no need to even know where (other than for backup) the Library is (or how it names folders)

Just make sure each title is unique/

eg Analog 2004 07 <- done for a clean ASCII sort YYYY MM not YYYY Mon which will get the year, but hash up the months
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2014, 06:53 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@finallygreen - this works for me ==>> Magazines organize

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote